GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Clubs From Around The World > VolkSport Käfer Gruppe

Old January 11th 2003, 01:03
Administrator

Talking And so it begins

I'm glad to be a member of the VKG, and I hope to see this club grow. Let me be the second to invite anyone with a German Look, building a German Look or planning a German Look in the Southeastern USA to join us.
VIVA DAS GL
66 Beetle, 73 Standard Beetle
72 Pinzgauer 710M
Volksport Kafer Gruppe
Old January 11th 2003, 02:05

I also welcome and invite anyone to join up and become part of the VKG community. This is definately a fun group with some killer cars.

Take Care,
'96 GMC Sierra Crew Cab 6.5L Diesel
'99 GMC Suburban 6.5L Diesel
VolkSport Kafer Gruppe
Old January 11th 2003, 02:50

Boy they'll let anybody join this club...LOL JK

Seriously though, I'm glad to be a part of VKG.
I am also excited to be a GL Pioneer here in the SE.

As a group, we would also like to extend an open invitation to anyone with/or building a GL VW here in the South East to come join us here in our forum & in our club. I promise you will most definitely have fun & maybe even learn a little in the process too.

GL Forever!

'I drive way to fast to worry about cholesterol!'

'67 Sunroof Notchback * '68 FI Squareback
Old January 11th 2003, 09:56

Quote:
Originally posted by vujade
Boy they'll let anybody join this club...LOL JK

ok, i guess that is my call to welcome everyone. we encourage everyone who wants to be on the ground floor of what is to be the biggest movement since the cal-look, to join us and help spread the word. the rules could not be more liberal within a frame and the look more unique.

we will be getting the membership process together as quick as possible. and that goes for the website as well.

VKG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Company Branding, Graphic Design, and Web Services at DigiVinci Design
Old January 11th 2003, 10:56

I guess I won't qualify when I'm done. Despite the planned use of carbon fiber and fiberglass, four-wheel disc brakes, a T4 conversion with a BAS exhaust, lowering all the way around, proper seats, etc., I also plan two "violations":

(1) I'm either going to have a two-toned paint scheme or I may opt to emulate the Sports Bug of 1973.

(2) I'm leaning towards a set of Passat wheels currently offered by VW, although I am still sorting through offsets and bolt patterns, and how they relate to whichever brakes I need.

I will still consider my future 1302/1303 a GLer.

-René

PS - The two-tone paint scheme would be neither a Cal-looker with the side panels painted nor an elaborate French Looker type of pattern or abstract. The primary color will be a 1996 Cabrio only color. I forget the name of the color, but I would describe it as Copper Metallic. I would either let the carbon fiber fenders remain unpainted, or I may opt for Audi's pearlized white. Both I think would look good with smoked taillights if I end up using a 1303 as a platform.

PPS - The Sports Bug theme I would want as an alternative would be the yellow with the stripes. Supposedly it was offered in blue, but I have never seen one in person or as a picture.
Old January 11th 2003, 11:32

Let me clarify the stock VW wheels rule.
It refers to stock (4 or 5) x 130 aircooled wheels (not H2O wheels)

As far as paint goes, if it were in a French Look style Im sure we wouldnt have any problem with it. We are pretty liberal & open minded. We just not looking for car that follow the traditional Cal Look.

GL Forever!

'I drive way to fast to worry about cholesterol!'

'67 Sunroof Notchback * '68 FI Squareback
Old January 11th 2003, 15:44
Administrator

I will second vujade, the wheels on a German Look car should have a Euro feel. I think the wheels you are planning to use would more than likely be ok. There are some differences between Euro-Look and German-Look, and many things are similar. We do not want to make it hard to have a car in the VKG but we need to keep a German-Look theme. It sounds like you are going in that direction.
66 Beetle, 73 Standard Beetle
72 Pinzgauer 710M
Volksport Kafer Gruppe

Last edited by NO_H2O; January 11th 2003 at 15:59.
Old January 13th 2003, 01:11

Sounds good to me! Feel free to join up and we can help you along the best we can.

Where are you located?

Take Care,
'96 GMC Sierra Crew Cab 6.5L Diesel
'99 GMC Suburban 6.5L Diesel
VolkSport Kafer Gruppe
Old January 14th 2003, 10:40

I am located near Baltimore, Md. My first order of business is to buy the 1302 or 1303 as my basis. I want it to be structurally sound. Engine and transmission is not important as I will want to upgrade them anyway.

I don't want to spend a lot on the platform unless I can sell the unwanted extras. (Example, if I pay extra because it has a 1600 in good condition, I would want to be able to recoup some money by selling that engine. Another example, I don't want to spend extra dollars on someone else's paint job and other modifications when I probably would delete them anyway.) Buying an abandoned project would not be out of the question.

I am prepared to travel to get the project started, as finding good examples near here is frustrating. Once that first hurdle is cleared, I need to find a reliable shop specializing in air-cooled VWs near Baltimore, Washington, Northern Virginia, or Southern Pennsylvania. I have a great mechanic I have been seeing for the past 14 years for maintenance and repairs.

After that, the project should motor along quite rapidly as I have a clear vision of what I want as the final result.

Thanks for all of the input (here and elsewhere),
René