GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Clubs From Around The World > VolkSport Käfer Gruppe

Old August 20th 2006, 13:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow73
Mikey, I have been catching up on your progress. You are doing some cool stuff keep it up!!!!!
Thanks Nigel, I haven't been working much on it recently. A new gf, a full shop, and the heat have kept me away. I also started school again last week. I was hoping to go for my Level 2 Welding Certificate, but there are not enough teachers for the classes. He did say that I can get more Lab time by enrolling in a class to help the teacher with the first year students. On the bright side, I'll be out this Christmas with a certificate and a degree.
'64 Ghia - Project!!-Subaru EJ20T, MS/EDIS, 993 brakes, 914 Tranny...
Old August 26th 2006, 14:29

I just read your whole build in one sitting, I hadn't seen it before. I think you might be in it a bit deeper than me I don't know if I could be patient enough to stretch the fenders like you're doing. What car is your subie motor from, I saw it was a single turbo and mine was originally a twin turbo. I saw your ground clearance measurements, is that at stock ride height? How much did you end up trimming off the bottom of the oil pan? It's awesome to see someone else doing big updates too
Old September 27th 2006, 20:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humble View Post
I just read your whole build in one sitting, I hadn't seen it before. I think you might be in it a bit deeper than me I don't know if I could be patient enough to stretch the fenders like you're doing. What car is your subie motor from, I saw it was a single turbo and mine was originally a twin turbo. I saw your ground clearance measurements, is that at stock ride height? How much did you end up trimming off the bottom of the oil pan? It's awesome to see someone else doing big updates too
My bad Humble, I guess I was busy for a few days back in August and I missed your post.
It's a lot to read in one sitting. That just means I have a lot of work in it. I want to keep a stock beam in the front and I want to keep stock rear suspension. I tried a 2" narrow beam and I hated the turning radius. It just takes time with the fenders. I forgot how many hours I have in the front. It's quite a few I'm sure.

Your questions... Not sure what car my engine is from, I only know it's a JDM. The ground clearance measurements are at stock height in a striped car, no weight other than the engine and tranny. I think I trimmed about 2 inches off the oil pan.

I actually got on this thread to make an update.
Old September 27th 2006, 20:50

Long over due update!

After a few shows, along with the weather cooling off. I have a fire again.

I started with the rear fenders. I used our plasma cutter to cut the Passenger side inner fender out yesterday. I also started widening the fender some. I moved it a little less than 1/2" yesterday. I'm back after it again today. I'm at the shop right now. I stopped working because of the storm, Tim wanted our freshly built '75 super inside. There might be hail in the storm. My car is outside. After the rain stops I'll push it in and take a few pictures.

I already have enough room for the wheel to tuck! Just to re-itterate my set up.
I have Cup 2's 7"s 55et along with 944 rear hubs about +1" from drums. The wheels TUCK! I just have to make some room for clearance, and make a nice shape out of the fender. I could probably get away with another 1/2" but my goal is about 1" away. Either way, I'm pleased so far.

Before anyone sees the pictures, I've never done this before, and I had no idea where to start or what kind of shape I want in the end. I'm just trying my best to get the width I want, while I try to keep some kind of shape to it.

Last edited by Mikey; September 27th 2006 at 20:56.
Old September 29th 2006, 23:24

Here are the pictures I've been slacking off about. I hope they were worth the wait, if not. Oh well.
Here are a few of the left fender first, just to get an idea of where I started.

A lot of tire showing here.

The fender is sitting on the tire.

The fender obviously donesn't cover the tire in this shot.

Now, lets take a look at what I did.
Old September 29th 2006, 23:31

Not exactly sure about the measurements, but it's moved out a bunch. Still some to go, but it's there.

That's what I'm talking about. The shape isn't there 100% but I'm not finished.

My fingers fit between the tire and fender.

No tire here.
2 more pictures and I'm finished... For now.
Old September 29th 2006, 23:38

No inner fender. That's what you get with a plasma cutter and a cut off wheel.

This is the inner part of the lower rear quarter. The top peice is the ouside, the bottom is the bumper bracket. I drilled out the spot welds and pulled it out about 1-1/4"

As always, I appreciate all comments, suggestions, and/or questions. I'm sure there will be plenty.
Old October 19th 2006, 08:31

Mikey,

Do you have any more closer detailed pics of your nose/nostril section of your ghia? I have a 74 Ghia with a 2.2 Suby and I am at the point to start cutting the front end to let the air in to the compartment. I also reversed the intake manifold around and modified the stock headers to work. I ended up shortening the headers by approx. 2 1/2" in total height.

Good Luck on you project.

Richard
Old October 21st 2006, 22:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by flat_iv View Post
Mikey,

Do you have any more closer detailed pics of your nose/nostril section of your ghia? I have a 74 Ghia with a 2.2 Suby and I am at the point to start cutting the front end to let the air in to the compartment. I also reversed the intake manifold around and modified the stock headers to work. I ended up shortening the headers by approx. 2 1/2" in total height.

Good Luck on you project.

Richard
I wonder if this is what you mean?

This is from the inside, I'm not finished yet. I still have to make a way to seal the radiator compartment off from the rest of the trunk. It will seal against the hood.

You'll notice in the picture above I didn't have a place for the gas tank to sit, I've already replaced that along with the parts that mount to the front beam. There was almost no way to cut enough holes in the original stuff with out totaly weakening it beyond use. The trunk will be sealed off from there to the hood.
Here is another without the radiator.

And yet here is another with out the radiator, but with the fan. Odds are I'm going to move it to the back. Unless I'm mistaken, it's better to pull the air though then try to push it through. Small desigen error.

Thanks, good luck on your project. I'm not sure if I'm going to shorten the header, I shortened the oil pan already.
Old October 21st 2006, 23:13
Administrator

Looks like your gettin' it done Mikey. What is that big thing in the front for?? Looks like you will have some wicked A/C in that car. Or is that a huge intercooler.
66 Beetle, 73 Standard Beetle
72 Pinzgauer 710M
Volksport Kafer Gruppe
Old October 22nd 2006, 02:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by NO_H2O View Post
Looks like your gettin' it done Mikey. What is that big thing in the front for?? Looks like you will have some wicked A/C in that car. Or is that a huge intercooler.
What big thing? Oh that. It's a... cooler for the engine, like an 'oil cooler'.
I'm going to work hard to get it done for next show season. With enough money and hard work, it can happen.
Old October 23rd 2006, 20:08

Keep going Mikey,
We are enjoying your progress. Thanks for the updates I can't wait to see the finshed car!!
Old October 23rd 2006, 22:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow73 View Post
Keep going Mikey,
We are enjoying your progress. Thanks for the updates I can't wait to see the finshed car!!
Thanks Nigel for the motivating words. They do help.

If I can get a break from working at my job every weekend, I'll put some time in on it. This is my kind of weather.
Old December 16th 2006, 01:18

Talking I'm back, with FIRE!!

I've been lazy for a while, but I'm back after it hot and heavy. It's going to be finished. I worked 4 hours both monday and tuesday, 6 hours wednesday and today, and about 8 thursday. Along with working at the shop about 3-4 hours right after I finish with my car. 10am til 9pm makes for some very long days.

I have my fenders Finished. well, as close as I can get them, they match too. Side to side. I also have the rear inner fenders peiced back in place. That has been a chore, a few days have been spent just on that, and I'm still at least 1 day away from moving up top. I have a few more places to fix in the body for I start preping it for paint. I can't wait, I want to start thinking about the 2007 show season, but I don't want to put the buggy before the horse, I have to finish the car first.

I wanted to avoid it as much as possible but the fenders will have filler in them. I'm sure Dave and Yeti will help. From bare metal, where do I go? Epoxy primer? Filler? High build?? I'm totaly lost. I can ask Tim, but I want to get a second opinion first. Where I can, I'm going to take it down to bare metal.

I have a goal, for it to be painted or VERY close by the end of january. I know it's crazy, but if I work every chance I have, I know I can make it. Tim said by the end of March. I kinda want to prove him wrong too.

Thanks,

Last edited by Mikey; December 16th 2006 at 01:23.
Old December 16th 2006, 11:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
I wanted to avoid it as much as possible but the fenders will have filler in them. I'm sure Dave and Yeti will help. From bare metal, where do I go? Epoxy primer? Filler? High build?? I'm totaly lost. I can ask Tim, but I want to get a second opinion first. Where I can, I'm going to take it down to bare metal.
Regular body filler works best on bare metal. Shape the filler as close to smooth and level as you can, then shoot two coats of primer just on the filler work. Then shoot the rest with three coats (so thats five coats just on body filler sections) of primer. Your going to be sanding those filler area's more than the rest of the car. So, the two extra coats on the filler will help to "block" the area out with less recoats. If you've never done auto body before... I suggest getting a book on the subject (cheaper and less time consuming then redoing everything ) I use Evercoat, and House of Kolor products (sometimes PPG). Check out www.hok.com for some good info on lots of products. There are links in a nav bar that takes you to sister sites with book's, tool's, and color codes. Hope this helps.

1962 SC 1776cc SP 944NA brakes, 993 wheels

VKG