GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > German Look Tuning

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old January 18th 2010, 01:08

Wiper blades update

I really like the idea of the resto-germanlook or vintage germanlook. No changes to the outside stock body and trim, but the standard germanlook updates and upgrades to the suspension, brakes,and engine, etc. I like the look of the original wipers yet they barely move any rain off the windshield. So I decided to have the best off the both worlds. I retrofitted some up to date wiper blades to fit the original wiper arms. In the sunshine and at shows I use the original wiper blades, with the slightest chance of rain I switch to the modern wiper blades.

First I removed the center hinge post found on most modern wiper blades

A hack saw was sufficient and quick

Then I removed the mounting bracket used on the original wiper blades

The wiper mounting bracket is what you want to attach to the modern wiper blade

Use a screw to attached the original wiper blade mounting bracket to the modern wiper blade. This makes things quick and easy when its time for new blades. Cut off the hinge mounting post then attach the original wiper blade mounting bracket. The pics show some fairly used and very rusty original wiper blades that I got for two dollars at a swap meet. I needed the brackets and I didn't want to hack up a new set of wiper blades. Although I did buy a pair new original wiper blades for show and shine, they should last an extremely long time cause they never get wet.

Later I will find a new black top screw and give the bracket two coats of black satin paint.

Now with a few turns of a Phillip head screwdriver I can switch to modern wiper blades. As expected there is a very big difference in the performance of the blades. A easy project and worth it for those who drive there vintage vw's. (in the rain )
Volksport Kafer Gruppe
Slideshow of build: Discontinued for now. Photobucket deleted hours of work to update their website!!

Last edited by Speed Dreamer; January 18th 2010 at 05:20.