GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Transmissions

Old February 23rd 2008, 02:59

5 speed swap. 914 tranny

I have been gathering parts for almost a year now to swap a 5 speed into the 62 bug.
I have a 914 tranny and am about a week away from ordering the nose cone and inner shift rod from Alex at Bug5speed.
Here is the parts I have:
914 tranny
stock beetle stub axles
beetle trailing arms
930 CV's,flanges and boots

My question is can I use stock beetle stub axles with 930 CV's?
If not, what do I have to use?
Old February 23rd 2008, 03:30

Hi

The 930 CVs would be overkill for your application. They have much larger bolt pattern than a Beetle or Kombi CV and they also need a different axle as the spline is different on a Beetle or Kombi CV.

Steve
Old February 23rd 2008, 12:44

Don't forget you need to source a inner shiftrod from a 901 or 901/911 or mod yours..
Alex
Tele: 973 204-5463
Old February 23rd 2008, 14:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve C View Post
Hi

The 930 CVs would be overkill for your application. They have much larger bolt pattern than a Beetle or Kombi CV and they also need a different axle as the spline is different on a Beetle or Kombi CV.

Steve
Can I use the 930 flanges and boots on Beetle axles?
Old February 23rd 2008, 19:20

The 914 CV flanges are the same size as a Beetle's, except the 914 flanges had 4 bolt holes, and two dowel holes. On my car I used the 914 flanges with the dowel holes drilled through, and threaded inserts screwed into the holes.

The power necessary to trash a 930 CV joint would certainly break the 914/901's intermediate plate instantly, so those CVs' aren't really needed.

If you use stock IRS Beetle trailing arms, with the stock stub-axles, then you should use the stock IRS Beetle axles, and their CVs'.

If you use Porsche stub axles in the Beetle, or early 944 steel trailing arms, you should use the stock Beetle CVs' on the inside, and early 944 CVs' on the outside of stock IRS Beetle axles.

If you use Porsche alloy trailing arms (wide or narrow), use the late 944S (after '86) *NON TURBO* axles with Beetle CVs' on the inside, and non-turbo 944 CVs' on the outside.

*944 Turbo axles had a coarser axle spline pattern than the non-turbo axles. The non-turbo axles have the same spline pattern as an IRS Beetle.
'83 928S 4.7
Old February 23rd 2008, 21:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by yetibone View Post
The 914 CV flanges are the same size as a Beetle's, except the 914 flanges had 4 bolt holes, and two dowel holes. On my car I used the 914 flanges with the dowel holes drilled through, and threaded inserts screwed into the holes..
I'll drill them out and thread them too.

Quote:
The power necessary to trash a 930 CV joint would certainly break the 914/901's intermediate plate instantly, so those CVs' aren't really needed..
Can the intermediate plate be upgraded? Whatelse in the tranny would need to be upgraded to handle say 250-300HP?

Quote:
If you use stock IRS Beetle trailing arms, with the stock stub-axles, then you should use the stock IRS Beetle axles, and their CVs'.
Since I'm bug is slammed I'm a little worried about the angle the stock beetle CV's would be at. I heard they fail after 17 degrees of angle.

Quote:
If you use Porsche stub axles in the Beetle, or early 944 steel trailing arms, you should use the stock Beetle CVs' on the inside, and early 944 CVs' on the outside of stock IRS Beetle axles.

If you use Porsche alloy trailing arms (wide or narrow), use the late 944S (after '86) *NON TURBO* axles with Beetle CVs' on the inside, and non-turbo 944 CVs' on the outside..
I have stock beetle trailing arms right now. I'm going to do the swap sometime in late March and drive it until winter. From there I'm going to tear it down for paint, body work and a turbo'd 1700cc typeIV motor. So I want to make sure I'm not doing something twice.

Last edited by slc62ragtop; February 23rd 2008 at 21:49.
Old February 24th 2008, 09:40

The intermediate plate can be upgraded to a much stronger aluminum component. I believe that Bug@5speed can help you with that, along with the front housing.

Your CV angle should be fine. I was riding mine on the bumpstops a few weeks ago, and had no issues at all, except for the fact that I was riding on the bumpstops. I don't think you can physically achieve an angle that would destroy them by lowering the car, and also lowering the transmission in the chassis as far as possible, but I could be wrong.
'83 928S 4.7
Old February 24th 2008, 15:56

Do you have a picture of what the intermediate plate looks like?
Old February 24th 2008, 22:24

At this time it's not an idea that Martin makes..

But here are two links to billet intermediate plates..

Hope it helps
Alex

http://www.dwdesignwerks.com/gearbox.htm

http://www.jbracing.com/eng_porsche.php
Tele: 973 204-5463
Old February 25th 2008, 00:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bug@5speed(US) View Post
At this time it's not an idea that Martin makes..

But here are two links to billet intermediate plates..

Hope it helps
Alex

http://www.dwdesignwerks.com/gearbox.htm

http://www.jbracing.com/eng_porsche.php

Thank you for the info. I'll have to make sure to put that on the list. Will a stock 914 tranny support 250HP without the upgraded intermediate plate? Does the tranny have other issues as power rises?
Old February 25th 2008, 20:20

Well I changed my mind on the motor. Went down to ACE and spoke with ART Tharen and will be doing a built 1915 that I'll turbo.
I'm looking for 250-300HP. The nose cone is on order through Alex and is about 2-3 weeks out.
Old June 17th 2008, 13:07
vwdevotee

Does anyone have a guide for this swap? Is it as extensive as the 915 swap outlined on aircooled? I know I have to flip the differential, and switch to the other breather port, but what's needed on the chassis side?

Yetibone, it sounds like you did this one. Can you outline what you did?

Bug@5speed, when you say an inner shift rod, do you mean the one in the tunnel, or a different one?