GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Body

Old April 14th 2006, 07:03

Carbon Fiber from LA

A member of our club brought in some carbon parts he had made by LA Performance and they were so bad I felt I should warn the rest of you who are thinking of getting stuff from LA dont waste your time or money this stuff was a sad joke and I felt very sorry for the young guy who paid top dollar only to get ripped off! I dont know how some people sleep at night!
Old April 15th 2006, 07:42

anyone else that has bought parts from LA? I was thinking of getting a few cf parts there because they are cheaper then Remelle but might go with Remelle anyway now.
Old April 15th 2006, 07:54

well you cant really treat it too harshly as its basically carbonfibre/fibreglass composite from what i understand, and it certainly is a lot cheaper than anyone else does it

but its not race spec carbonfibre as i'm sure lee will admit, i dont think LA performance are ripping anyone off
Old April 15th 2006, 08:03

My front airdam is from LA Performance, and I am more than happy with it.
As above its carbon outer layer with fibreglass backing... So not the race weight stuff..

What exactly is the problem your friend has with it?

Has he tried speaking to Lee (LA Performance)? If not I suggest he does as Lee stands by his work.

Sam C
Raby 2270, B spec gearbox, Lots of carbon fibre, Wolfrace Octane Black 17x7.5, Goodyear Eagle F1's, Kerscher suspension front and rear, kamei airdam in carbon, corbeau seats, momo millunium steering wheel.
CDT eurosport 6.5 front speakers, IDMAX 12D2 sub, rockford old school amps.
Old April 15th 2006, 14:46

if it's glassiber with a cf outer layer, the "look" of the parts should be equal to the 100% cf parts. Only difference should be in the weight and even that is minimal.
Old April 15th 2006, 17:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom'72
if it's glassiber with a cf outer layer, the "look" of the parts should be equal to the 100% cf parts.

Looks great

Sam C
Raby 2270, B spec gearbox, Lots of carbon fibre, Wolfrace Octane Black 17x7.5, Goodyear Eagle F1's, Kerscher suspension front and rear, kamei airdam in carbon, corbeau seats, momo millunium steering wheel.
Old April 15th 2006, 21:07

nah genuine carbon fibre looks and feels amazing, where as the other one just feels like fibreglass

i wouldnt wear fake levis for instance which are easily available, but i would wear a pair or fake trainers/sneakers if they were impossible to get hold of, if your fully aware of what the product is then theres no problem, as long as you dont cheat yourself thinkin its something else
Old April 15th 2006, 21:11

genuine carbonfibre is crazy light where as fibreglass is just lighter than steel

and if you bend fibreglass in the wrong direction the gel coat will crack, but with carbonfibre its got a certain tolerance where it will bend to, which is hard to do mind

Last edited by fastdub; April 15th 2006 at 21:15.
Old April 16th 2006, 04:58

My headlight rings are 100% carbon fibre, and weigh about the same as a sheet of A4 paper (yes, we have weighed both!)... Ditto the running boards, they weigh a bit more but in comparison its nothing.

Still more than happy with my airdam, looks and performs superb, fitted perfectly first time and really doesnt weigh that much

Sam C
Old April 17th 2006, 13:57

Did anyone notice....

That Bugfool has only made 2 posts, on the same day, & just telling people that LA products were a ripoff from a single experience. Made no mention about why the product was bad just that is was a ripoff. Seems a little fishy if you ask me. I wonder what their problem was with the part. Was it finish appearance, fitment, or did it crack in half in the mail ? It could be the installers experience. Have they ever put a similar part on a VW before? From my experience not all body parts fit exact since, no two cars have the exact same dimensions. Sometimes you have to modify them to fit properly. Has said bug in question ever been in an accident? As this will affect body fitment greatly.
Old April 17th 2006, 14:56

yeah i noticed he registered in april too

i reckon its someone who knows lee or is already a member of this forum but doesnt want any grief by using his own username

just my opinion
Old April 17th 2006, 15:07

ive tryed contacting lee via pm but he hasnt responded, does he use the forum?
Old April 17th 2006, 15:29

although i dont know him as a mate, ive talked to him on the phone and he seems to be the most easy going bloke you could possibly meet who is forever helpful

if you really had a problem with the parts he supplied i'm sure he would sort it out
Old April 17th 2006, 21:47

Im a new member have checked the forum out a lfew times and found it very helpful with mainly cool people I allso found it fair,being across the other side of the world I dont think there is much the young bloke in our club can do,he said Lee was a cool dude and I hope he does sort this out. I dont think JS was expecting Remmele quality parts and he said he spent alot of time talking to Lee in reguard to construction and quality and cant understand what happened as the parts he recieved were nowhere near the quality he expected.What I saw Im sure you guys wouldnt be happy with or dream of putting on your pride and joy,a few air bubbles and scratches are expected and ofcourse fitment can be a bit tricky but this is a joke.there are hundreads of air bubbles some had been covered with blck marker pen, in a pretty bad attempt to cover them up,the rear bumper had pulls in the carbon matt,which could almost be tollerable but there on the top edge,it looks realy messy and rushed.The parts are carbon look and that was understood this stuff was sloppy and expesive and this kid is very dissapointed and is still waiting for some other parts but I hope he makes a complaint to LA as its bad buisness.I posted this as I felt sorry for this kid and felt I should give anyone about to buy carbon stuff from LA a warning to make sure they get a garantee, check out some other stuff they have done and be careful.Maybe this is a one off misstake by these guys I dont know em all I know is this kid paid good money for bad stuff hes a good hard working kid at the mercy of someone on the other side of the planet Im sure he did the right thing by LA hope they do the right thing by him
Old April 18th 2006, 00:09

If you can get ahold of Lee he may have some kind of return policy for defective parts. Who knows there could've been some kind of mixup with a part that was supposed to be scrapped and the part to be shipped. The good part could've been thrown away This kind of thing happens alot when smaller companies start shipping more than they can handle, things get misplaced, parts get sent to wrong addresses, & sometimes parts don't get shipped at all. I have seen alot of cars w/ LA parts on them & usually they look good but, I bet Lee has been through this kind of problem before. I hope your friend can get this straightned out. I know what kind of dissapointment this must be.