GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Engines

Old December 14th 2004, 20:02

bang for the buck

I have yet another T4 vs T1 question. I have 2.0L Bus (T4) cases , rods and crank (crank and rods are pretty much core pieces) and I have a 1600 runner in the car.So my question is would it be worth the time and money to build a basically stock bottom end 2.0L T4 w/ some goodies (pistons,cam,carbs,head work) vs. building the T1 (2.0L + w/ all the goodies) my goal would ideally be around 120-150 hp. What would my best option be ?
Old December 14th 2004, 22:11

what kind of driving are you looking to do? i don't have a lot of engines under my belt, but T1 seems to be cheaper to build overall, but won't last as long based on feedback (many variables though). but then again, everyone has a built T1. how many do you know with a TIV? also, my point about what kind of driving is that the power is in two different places. TIV is all about torque where the T1 is more about getting to the higher revs to get your HP. IMO, that makes the TIV more useful for the way i like to drive.

go TIV. we need more out there showing it is a viable platform for a bug.

Company Branding, Graphic Design, and Web Services at DigiVinci Design
Old December 23rd 2004, 22:52

Go type 4, the initial investment is more off the bat, but your power curve will be much more fun around town. My friend has a 914 with a stock 2L cept for 44IDFs and I was really impressed. If you do figure to go with a 2L, might as well throw on in some 96 KB pistons and have your 94 barrels bored to 96, easy cc gain for around $300. Good luck!
Old December 24th 2004, 12:42
VW consumer products reseller and researcher

Realistically, a 2056 with a good exhaust (ala tangerine, etc) and a kit carlson efi setup would give you something in the 110-120hp range, and that's also considering the right cam and headwork. A type 1 will make HP cheap, but will last a fraction of the time. What budget have you allowed yourself? This will determine which route is best (and feasible).

Charles Navarro
LN Engineering
http://www.LNengineering.com
Aircooled Precision Performance
Old December 24th 2004, 20:53

navarro is very right. You cant expect more than 120 horses from a 2056, and even those numbers are from a well blueprinted and balanced engine, with some serious headwork and a high lift cam, such as the 86b from Webcam. Certainly you will get more life from a T4, but it all depends on your budget. Another thing to think about is that you really don't HAVE to have a c/w crank with a T4 motor, these cranks are massive and practically impossible to break unless you drive this thing like you want it to explode.
Old February 5th 2006, 02:21

Has anyone ever put a similar sized T1 vs T4 w/ similar setups on a dyno to see if one made more torque or hp than the other?
Old February 5th 2006, 15:28

Type1 vs Type 4 vs Corvair

What about a aluminum type 1 cased motor versus the type 4. I heard that the major down fall of the type 1 is the magnesium case. I do not know if this is true or not, but I have also heard that the reason the type 4 is longer lived is that it has an aluminum case. I was also wondering what you guys think of a Chevrolet Corvair motor? Some guy who works at the VW shop I bought my car from is big into the Corvair. He was telling me that I should swap out the 1600 for the Chevy. I have seenthis done in some VW books, but always felt that it was kind of redneck, I guess. In the Midwest everyone puts 350s in everything so I felt that it was something along those lines. Though I have heard that the Corvair motor is supposedly rated at 140hp. I would love to hear what you guys think. Oh, before I forget is the 2.0 a true Porsche engine while the 1.8 and down are VW. I have heard this and was just curious.
Old February 5th 2006, 17:40

I investigated Corvair engines from three sources -- one of them right here at GL.com. The two main bug-a-boos with the Corvair engine is the extra fabricating the body will need to make it fit and finding parts for maintenance and repairs. Mating a transaxle to the engine and a VW body is fairly involved.

Corvair engines tend to be more popular with the sandrail and Baja crowd because less fabricating is involved.
Old February 5th 2006, 22:45

Chevy guys will always tell you to put a Chevy motor in it. This is kind of like the whole rednecks & rebel flags thing. I mean how often have you seen a compairable Chevy beat a Porsche. :trophy:
Old February 6th 2006, 12:57

I think I will have agree with both Oasis and Bebobug on this one. I have also heard that the Corvair motor has a belt that runs at a 90 degree angle over the block which sounds like a terrible design.