GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Transmissions

Old July 1st 2003, 13:14

901 rebuild questions!

I have an earle 901 5-speed, that I'm rebuilding. The main gear select rod that runs tru the nose cone has alot of groove in the end of it. They runn linear with the shaft, and are on the end that goes into the transaxle case. Is the common? What is the fix for this? It seems odd to have all of the wear on the steel rod when it seats in aluminum. Any input would be a big healp. PS I'm using a different case, due to all of the wear.

Thanks
Russ
Old July 10th 2003, 03:13

Russ,
It's difficult to diagnose these kind of things without seeing them. If you can take some digital pics of it and put them up here, we may have a better chance of working out what's going on.
If there is wear in any part, the usual thing is obviously to replace it. 901 parts are getting hard to get now so I understand your reluctance to just chuck it away!
Just an aside from the problem that you speak of, when you say you're using a different case to rebuild the trans in, are you changing the crown, pinion or differntail housing in the process. If so you need to have the equipment to set up the backlash and mesh pattern.
MG

Performanceghia is still alive and kicking...
Old July 10th 2003, 11:43

Thanks Michael, I appreciate the input. Basically I'm using a perfect 914 tail shift, and a beat up 901 to make a good tranny for my 1302. I'm flipping the Differential, and swapping the nose cones, but the selector rod appears to have wear. I don't have any pictures but I will see if I can get them soon.
Thanks Again!
Russ
Old July 10th 2003, 16:20

Russ,
Ah, now I'm with you. Sounds like a good way to go. I would se if you can get some info on the specs and tolerences for the worn parts and measure them. If they are within spec, just polish the marks down and re-use them. Small grooves in a selector rod shouldn't make the part mis-function (so long as there are no raised edges) but rather help keep oil within the shaft and aid lubrication. Large grooves will create problems though.
Good luck with your rebuild.
MG

Performanceghia is still alive and kicking...
Old August 14th 2003, 21:47

I made the switch on a 914 box too. I had to make a selector shaft as I didn't have one for a 901 transmission. I haven't found a car to put it in so I haven't used it yet, but with it on the workbench I found all five gears, and reverse without a problem.
You definately need a skilled welder, and a good machinist to do it right.

Yetibone
'83 928S 4.7