GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Engines

Old October 9th 2016, 23:15

Karmann Ghia

Good evening, I am trying to mentally envision the dimensions of the engine bay of the Karmann Ghia. The purpose for this post is, if there is anyone that can do me the favor and measure the width of their engine bay of their Karmann Ghia, in order for me to compare the engine bay of my 1303. I have pics of the Subaru 6 cylinder, and no matter how I continue to advance my type 4, I don't believe that it will ever match Excel in the power of the Subaru 6 cylinder. It's like, looking at that Subaru 6 cylinder is an addiction for me
Old October 15th 2016, 03:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by effvee View Post
. I have pics of the Subaru 6 cylinder, and no matter how I continue to advance my type 4, I don't believe that it will ever match Excel in the power of the Subaru 6 cylinder. It's like, looking at that Subaru 6 cylinder is an addiction for me
I hear what you say, especially reading the reports on Andy Forrest's H6 in his time attack Impreza with way over 1000hp. Its extremely cool!
However... it is a watercooled 6-cylinder with OHC cams, which just weighs much, much more and hangs out even further behind the rear axle.

I short, driving dynamics will be far worse then an aircooled 4-banger with underlying cam behind you.
Handling is very underrated in the driving experience when all is said and done imho.

Walter
Old October 15th 2016, 05:15

Hey, I'm not a Racer, or time trials, maybe some powering through the mild curves. If I remember correctly, the 6 cylinder subie is 47lbs more. Sand sport also says high horsepower. All I have to get now for my type IV is rockers,push rods and nikasil my cylinders. Next month ill address the cylinders. Given the money spent, and that cool look of a type IV with that 911 260mm fan is way cool.

I also need to get something done, my storage just went up again.