GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > German Look Tuning

Old March 29th 2005, 17:51

[QUOTE=vujade]To me, the german look is what the Cal Look should have evolved into, instead it stayed the same as it was 30 years ago!
[QUOTE]

Couldn't agree more, to my mind it's the pure simple exterior style that suits the classic lines of the bug more than anything else, and the German look sees this evolve with a bit more oomph!!

ps sorry to reawaken this thread but I've only just joined...
Old June 23rd 2005, 14:48

My opinion:

That is the EPITOME of GL IMO.

Looks mean, and handles great. And most of the time has the speed to back it up.

Handling and performance superceed everything else.

Simply put, large brakes, large german wheels, and great suspension.....
Old June 23rd 2005, 15:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beetleman
ps sorry to reawaken this thread but I've only just joined...
No reason to be sorry, thats what the forum is here for. Not just for people
that have already seen this thread, but also for newbies as well

'I drive way to fast to worry about cholesterol!'

'67 Sunroof Notchback * '68 FI Squareback
Old June 23rd 2005, 22:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by oicdn
My opinion:

Handling and performance superceed everything else.

Simply put, large brakes, large german wheels, and great suspension.....
Sweet I like it.. looks killer..
What was your Best add on?Performance wise¿?

Peace Troy

SOLD!! 65 Bug 1835cc,Duel Dell 34's,BMD Serp Belt,
A1 Perf. Sidewinder,CompeUfire Pointless Ign
95A Alt,CSP Valve Covers,Randar Diego 16's Soon

[URL=http://www.cardomain.com/id/troy_audio]
Old June 24th 2005, 07:43

I wish that were mine.....
Old August 6th 2005, 14:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by oicdn
I wish that were mine.....
Check out VWTrends June 2002 page 40. This car is the reason why i decided to do the GermanLook style and now i'm broke. Its a 98' mexi bug with 182 hp type 4 from france. Very Clean. Does anyone have more pics of this bug on any websites? The VWTrends article has 4 pics and 1 page of writing.

98' Audi A4
93' T-Bird (oh yeah!)
90' 911 C2
74' beetle
Old August 6th 2005, 15:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazylongboarder
Check out VWTrends June 2002 page 40. This car is the reason why i decided to do the GermanLook style and now i'm broke. Its a 98' mexi bug with 182 hp type 4 from france. Very Clean. Does anyone have more pics of this bug on any websites? The VWTrends article has 4 pics and 1 page of writing.
there are pics of that bug here on GL.com in the Gallery.

'I drive way to fast to worry about cholesterol!'

'67 Sunroof Notchback * '68 FI Squareback
Old August 15th 2005, 23:07

You may have seen my previous posts under the name of Axl R - I haven't been on for a while , and I forgot my login name - So I am now just plain , old AXL , at least until I forget this login and go for something else . I was going through the posts , and skimming over what some people think the GL look is . I have thought about this and came to this conclussion . This look is the marriage between the old california look and the new tuner cars . There is still a lot of touches that come from the cal look cars , but the idea of the rims/tires , bigger engine and brakes , and what not are very similar to what the kids are doing with their Hondas and Acuras and whatever else . I think this is the best of both worlds and I am excited to see what else is coming in the GL arena . Axl.
Old August 17th 2005, 12:06

^^^Difference is...GL is about FUNCTION before form...Something the little ricers fail to realize. They use the "big rims" for the look...not because they need the "big rims" for thier brakes and contact patch.

Also, we're not really using cheapie parts....they on the otherhand, use some of the crappiest quality of parts on the market just to say they have another mod...lol

Been there, done that....saw a couple last night, laughed and they wondered why I was laughing in my "crappy bug"....
Old August 17th 2005, 23:00

That may be correct , fot the most part , oicdn , but if you get down to it , the best cars (both GL's and ricer's ) are using the best parts available . Then you get the weekend warrior who is just going look , and quality be damned . I think no matter what type and style of vehicle that is being modified or restored , you will get the people who just hack the car together , and it shows . There are also the people with ricer's who are total opposite , and build the car for performance , and don't worry too much about the looks . I work with a guy who has a Honda Accord that has a spray bomb paint job , but has larger rims to handle the larger brakes , and a complete turbo system that has been proffesionally installed . I guess that what I am trying to say is that its hard to say that all people who drive this type of car are like this . We have to be careful about how we look at the other groups out there , because we don't want to be looked at in that way ourselves (I think). I hope you can understand my ramblings . If not , just ask! Axl .
Old August 18th 2005, 08:13

^^^ I COMPLETLY understand your "ramblings", and they're not ramblings at all.

I used to own one of each "rice" car. Truth be told, even the people who "don't have rice" are rice. Look at it like this. An Accord is a family car(not picking on your friend, just using it as an axample). It in NO WAY has ANY PERFORMANCE. It's chassis is incredibly heavy for the motor powering it. it's not stiff, and even with a Turbo H22 (prelude motor) it STILL can't even hang with a simple B16 swapped Civic. WHY would you dump money into that kind of car?

I know...I'm definitly guilty of this(http://importfighter.iwarp.com) But the Cavalier was atleast VERY strong in the JGTC circuit in Japan. Not using that as an excuse to warrant my riceyness, but I loathe people who hook up those kind of cars. There's a difference between a Family car such as a 5 series, and an Accord...and Yes, Honda actually makes some performance minded Sedans like the Acura TL. But that's not a car you'll "readily see" riced out. And most of the people who do rice it out, are exactly what your friend did to his Accord, Turbo and big brakes...but it's not an Accord...

Maybe it's because I've "moved on", and it may sound arrogant, but unless you own an Integra or a Civic, "performance" upgrades on a Honda is just crap....
Old August 19th 2005, 22:40

I , like you , were not always into VeeDubs . My passion used to (and to a point , still is ) American Muscle Cars , with the '66 Stang being my favourite . I didn't even look twice at VW'sw until I started working with a couple of VW fanatics about 15 years ago . They introduced me to cal look bugs , and I was hooked . I have had three lookers now , and a GTI . I currently do not own a VW at this time , but I am always on the look out for my next project , especially since an 18 wheeler took my last one from me . For a while now , I have been planningout how I am going to do my next VW , and since coming across GL bugs , I know I have found the style that I have wanted for a long time . Before I became a mechanic and was staring to learn about my first bug (1971 Super) , I was asking around to some shops about the possibility of putting the type 2 bus motor into a bug . I was always told it couldn't be done . Now I know better . I will keep you posted on how the hunt (and persuading my wife) is coming along . Axl .
Old October 10th 2005, 03:28

Smile Choose

Well I think the German look is now totaly de-chromed. Colour is also important, leading towards more modern european colours. Two tone is out! Chrome is nice but i think this was huge in the 70's. Big wheels is a must. Wheel choice is very important...no "bling" Big drilled dics all round with upgraded calipers. I think requires a very sporty look but not too over done, clean with out all the stripes and glitter. I definately look at the modern Porsche as a quide. One piece windows, slightly tinted glass maybe, upgrade interiour to more racey seats, better dash and instruments, get away from the vynal look think this was 70's ish. definately lower the ride height tastfully to make wheel fitting snug. Basicaly you should end up with a car which has an imediate "expensive" look about it. This would be hard to do on a cheap budget for sure.. I havent read all the threads but just my thoughts.
Brent.
Old October 13th 2005, 11:13

just my thoughts , i think the german look has constantly been evolving over the last few years , and just looking through the galleries there is a huge spectrum of cars that fall under the gl look banner , i would say in general people that are drawn towards the gl look are more likley to have an interest in the technical side of things as if you want a gl car you have to build your own ain't many for sale out there , and of the ones forsale the chances of getting one to your spec is 0% , this is what drew me to the gl look as far as vw's go it is as of now the only true individual look ,we apreciate each others cars for the technical inovation that goes into the look, unlike cal which apart from the engine is a generally the sum of the component bolt on parts (i can't say to much on the subject as i am revamping my cal-looker to gl ) lol
well that is my two pence worth
zx7rr
Old October 16th 2005, 22:24

Speedy , I like how you have put it . I have seen some Cal-lookers that have been modified , performance-wise , to be close to a GL , but again , the most important part seems to be "The Look" . I am a mechanic , and my first priority with any vehicle is the safety and mechanics , not if the vehicle is a looker . I think this is what drew me to the GL . I just keep dreaming and planning out my next Bug . Its going to be a hot GL Cabrio . The thing is that I am moving from Alberta , Canada to Indiana , in the US in a little over a year and a half , so I won't be getting a car until I move . I can hardly wait !
Axl .