GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > General > Off Topic

Old June 4th 2007, 01:07

Pics of my bug

Figure Id post pics of my bug now since I have a digital camera.
Tell me what you guys think.

This next pic shows I guess why Im not a fan of my wheels because they stick out, or maybe I'm just picky.

And my nice shining 15x4.5 rim on a 195/60
Old June 4th 2007, 18:37

Did somebody say wider fenders... Never been much of a fan for western wheels...

Looks good though, what are your plans for it?
Old June 4th 2007, 20:14

what motor is in the foreground of the first pic
Old June 4th 2007, 21:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by bow View Post
what motor is in the foreground of the first pic
Thats my dads, he got it for free.Its out of a Ford Courier.

Plans Im not sure, I have 2 but cant decide on which to do.
Plan #1:
painted like it is 2 tone, Baby Blue and Offwhite
thought bout running a 2" narrowed adjustable beam with the current rims, with 145/65's up front and 195/60 in rear and lower front an rear 3 inches.
Interior for it is black stock style from TMI.
Plan #2:
Same color, but use stock chromies and paint the insides satin black leaving the lip chrome using 195/50's up front and 195/60's in rear, and adjustable beam to lower it.
Looking something like this:

Also I would use wider fenders but on 4.5" wide rims, no thanks lol.
Old June 5th 2007, 12:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veedub View Post
stock chromies and paint the insides satin black leaving the lip chrome
Seems to me I saw something like that on a Swiss bug in a book that I have. I thought it looked quite effective. :agree:
Old June 5th 2007, 23:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by oasis View Post
Seems to me I saw something like that on a Swiss bug in a book that I have. I thought it looked quite effective. :agree:
Cool, a Swiss bug? you mean theres a Swiss Look
Old June 6th 2007, 09:13

LOL ... Yeah, complete with holes drilled out of bumper brackets and the like to save weight -- kind of a Swiss cheese Look. Actually, it was a sweet looking car that stood out in my memory. I'll try to remember to look for it. If I find it, I will scan it for you.
Old June 6th 2007, 22:07

Nice looking bug, veedub. Please keep us informed as the project advances!
Transmission: Planning Stage
Suspension: Front: 3/4 swaybar w/UrethaneBushings, Dropped Spindles. Rear:CB Camber Compensator. Lowered 2 splines
Brakes: Front Brakes: 280mm solid rotors, two pot calipers. Rear: 280mm solid rotors, 1 pot calipers w/ebrake
Old June 7th 2007, 02:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilAngel View Post
Nice looking bug, veedub. Please keep us informed as the project advances!
Thanks , and I will.
The parts I need to get in road worthy are the door rubber kits, undercoating which I'll be getting next week, and 2 bumpers, I was gooing to run T-bars but I keep racking my chin on them... it dont feel very good.Then once my floors undercoated, I'll have my dads mechanic put redo my motor wiring since the PO of the motor clipped the wiring off, an put my clutch an acelerator cables in.Then my interior will go in. The car itself will be stock for a little while.Then as time goes, I'll buy a narrowed adj. beam for front an lower the front however low a 4" will let me.I'll buy chrome stockers like I said above, painting inside satin black, then lower the rear even with the front.

Motor wise..Im not even gonna get into that yet, but it will be a 1641cc that revs to 7k with all the internals forged.
Old June 23rd 2007, 00:30

Guys I got my bumpers Wednesday so they'll be going on after the motor is in.
EvilAngel,Oasis an anybody else, I was thinking, how would my bug look if I kept the wheels that are on it and then lowered it low enough to close the wheel gaps.Like say 3" front an rear, think my tires would eat my fenders on the bumps , mostly the speed bumps at my job but I can avoid those
I guess then it would look like and auto crosser but w/o the wide rims lol
Old June 24th 2007, 15:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veedub View Post
how would my bug look if I kept the wheels that are on it and then lowered it low enough to close the wheel gaps.Like say 3" front an rear, think my tires would eat my fenders on the bumps
Do you mean lower it by three inches or to within three inches? And is this your starting point?

Assuming you meant lowering it by three more inches from the pic above, I think you will have fender fouling galore on bumps and curves. I would try different increments for the front first. I hope there are many intervals for you to try.

From there, you can decide if you like the looks of what actually works best. If you do, you can try the different spline methods others have worked with for the rear. If not, you have more tweaking to do before attacking the rear..
Old June 24th 2007, 23:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by oasis View Post
Do you mean lower it by three inches or to within three inches? And is this your starting point?

Assuming you meant lowering it by three more inches from the pic above, I think you will have fender fouling galore on bumps and curves. I would try different increments for the front first. I hope there are many intervals for you to try.

From there, you can decide if you like the looks of what actually works best. If you do, you can try the different spline methods others have worked with for the rear. If not, you have more tweaking to do before attacking the rear..
Oasis, my bug has airshocks in the rear so its higher than stock plus the engine isnt in it yet.Question, airshocks in the rear, when blowing air in the valves for the airshocks for the rear, is it normal for the frontend to come up to?It does it, and I checked the frontend and theres no airshocks up there though.Whats up with that?
Also Id like to drop front 3inches if its possible, although I will get 145/65's for the front, I just hope there wont be a big wheel gap.And if Im looking at the rear of my bug right, if I lower the rear 2 or 3" from the stock height, the fender lip should be even with the tires lip, you seeing what I mean?

also the more an more I look at my wheels the more I want to stay with them lol
Old June 25th 2007, 09:11

Narrower tires will help with the plans you have. If you still have minor fender fouling, you may need to borrow a fender roller. (They cost about $250 -- kind of high for a one-shot deal unless you want to eBay it off later.) You can produce subtle but effective results.

As for the dynamics involved in raising or lowering one end, and that producing results at the other end, I don't know what to say about that. I can see something as heavy as an engine having a lowering effect on both ends, but air shocks? Surprising to me but it is all intuition on my part. I have no actual experience.
Old August 15th 2007, 02:43

veedub, do you have any plans of turning your bug into a convertible?
Old April 6th 2008, 00:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by vw_ilove View Post
veedub, do you have any plans of turning your bug into a convertible?
Why would I do that?

Anyways figured Id finally update my cars build thread.
Heres some new pics for you to enjoy.

And yes Im aware one vent wing is trimmed in chrome an the other isnt.

hood isnt bolted on, its laying there.

New plans, I bought a set of wheels, there 13x5.5's and 14x7's similar to what I have but better offset, well for the front.Its no GL but I now am looking for some tires, so far IM going to go with 195 or 185/6014's in the rear, fronts IM not sure.I found a few different sizes but prefer them to be shorter than the rears.I bought a crapload of new parts these past few weeks.Some installed, some not.Im trying to decide also should I get eyelids or not, what you guys think?