GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Engines

Old May 21st 2015, 20:40

What is the weight of a fully complete type IV

Hi, has anyone ever weighted a complete three liter type IV . The Subaru VZ-33 weights 263, I understand. The over hang concerns ,but will it throw off its balance soo much.
Old May 23rd 2015, 05:47

A 3 Liter weighs about 220 lbs.
Old May 23rd 2015, 08:26

Is that with alternator, headers fully dressed? Here's why I ask, the EZ-30 weight is 263, but that's is just the long block. At some point, I stuff my three liter into a 1303, I think someone said the engine possibly put out 300 horsepower. My 3 ,liter, I believe with the added moldex crank will weigh over the 220 pounds. The sand sport magazine says the EZ-engines can out put 500 and higher turbocharged. I can hear everyone say, hay Francelle, have you ever road in a bug with three hundred horsepower, and my answer would be no. But, I'm in my dream stage, work with me. The person that installed the EZ-30 I think into the Karmann Ghia, I asked the question about ground clearence, he made generalized reply. I need to know, ground clearance of the oil pan, but I didn't get a clear answer.
Old May 24th 2015, 17:41

Yes,that's for the complete engine.
Old May 24th 2015, 21:27

In the every day use, what problems would the EZ-30 cause in corners. Also would wet conditions pose a problem. O check this out, I was trying to clear some of the clutter in my garage today. I had brought down a shelf from my storage unit, it really helped sort things out where I can once again put my mind on it . I knew that I had two intercooler, but where? I stumbled on them without even knowing.

Man that brought a smile on
Ok, back to business, I'm into this high horsepower thing. Back when the type IV was it, but now for me that 6 cylinder Subaru engine has me infatuated with it. And now to find out that the 3:44 r&p and be modded to the Quaife I feel child like:. I might even save room by using the type one trans with the added fifth gear. To have that 091, 915 or even the 950/01 would really ad weight and length to the rear of the engine. That short block, I believe it can be bored even larger. Costa Mesa R&D can re-sleeve the bore for even larger bore. This indecisive nature of me can cost $$$$$$$$
It would really have been nice to have contacted the person that was installing the EZ-33. I saw that he could get it in and lid down, but that very large oil pan. He fell off the net, can't get in contact with him, bummer

Last edited by effvee; May 24th 2015 at 21:48.
Old May 25th 2015, 06:02

To be honest, I don't know enough about the suby sixes to be of much help. It is an awesome engine and for its size pretty light. However, don't forget the rest of the system to support it. Radiator,oil cooler, all the water hoses,overflow tank and a bunch of little stuff. And if you do twin turbo it, there's another 150 pounds on top. If you're worried about weight,that's the wrong concept. I would turn that suby into a high revving N/A motor and go for a 100hp/Liter. 300hp and the torque and reliability of a 6 cylinder, you won't be any slower anywhere except maybe roll on drag racing I.e. Texas mile etc. Which is boring and any monkey can do it. Remmele's 3 Liter T4 with a 915 trans did 0-200km/h in 11.4 seconds, 0-100 km/h in 3.9 seconds, was 2 seconds faster per lap than the 996 GT3 in Hockenheim and 4 km/h faster on the straight in Hockenheim. I think the suby 6 power delivery would be better due to the additional cylinders and more torque. The strongest 3.1 Liter T4 that Remmele built has 364hp naturally aspirated. In wet weather,like any high power car is a challenge.
Old May 25th 2015, 10:57

That short block is not mine, just a pic I found. The long block that I do have was just a long block. I would need many more pieces. I'm still thinking on it. Maybe buy a JDM complete EZ-36r, I'll see.