GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Suspension

Old August 4th 2005, 22:45

Shimmies

Can the super get shimmies even with everything urethane? Thought was an unbalanced wheel but after balancing, shimmies still there. I'm using urethane everything. I'll try wheels on balancing next. Gets bad from 80km/h onwards.
Old August 6th 2005, 00:00

are the rims hubcentric?

you may need a hubcentric ring if they're not.

or it could be

a bad steering damper with a bad alignment
Old August 6th 2005, 02:59

Thanks for the reply, I would think the rims are hub centric, they are 17''x8 n 9 from Kerscher(KRS). I'll check the bearings as they are bout 2 years old and having 993 rotors and calipers might wear the stock vw bears out faster.
Old August 22nd 2005, 18:29
Superman

The shimmie will find the weakest componet and wear on it until it shakes. Unless everything, on this 30+ year old car's suspension, is replaced then the shimmie will continue to find the weak spot. There are also several other factors, including tire air pressure and the steering box adjustment.
Old August 22nd 2005, 23:36

Easiest fix...and it's fairly cheap...get new balljoints, damper, bearings and bushings. $100 ballpark...that usually fixes everything. If you're tie rods are bad, price jumps, and jumps ALOT if your steering box is bad.....

Chances are though, replacing those things will fix it, as those, like superman stated, are usually the weak parts that gets "worked".....

I've been ignoring mine until I goto put on my front brakes and rims....mine only shimmies from 32ish - 38ish.... otherwise, it's gone. I put in 325lbs of non mixed cement powder bags in my trunk that I had laying around the garage...shimmies got worse. So I took out a 75lb bag, and it actually lessened the severity and shimmies aren't as bad without anything in the trunk AND with the 325lbs....seems like the 250lbs is the magic "band-aid" for me....