GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Suspension

Old August 19th 2005, 19:23

Suspension conversion to struts.

I'm looking into doing a conversion for the front suspension similar to the Bader Racing Ghia. Does anyone have any crash repair dimensions for the suspension/body mounting locations for the 74 and later Super Beetles(1303's to those of you across the Big Pond). I'm looking for information to determine how to mount the struts.

I've already thought that the best way would be to just mount the framehead and just 'wing-it' to get the struts mounted in location with "X" amount of caster and "Y" amount of camber. What do you folks think?

Thanks in advance.
Old August 20th 2005, 23:32

Strut bar

Quote:
Originally Posted by DORIGTT
I'm looking into doing a conversion for the front suspension similar to the Bader Racing Ghia. Does anyone have any crash repair dimensions for the suspension/body mounting locations for the 74 and later Super Beetles(1303's to those of you across the Big Pond). I'm looking for information to determine how to mount the struts.

I've already thought that the best way would be to just mount the framehead and just 'wing-it' to get the struts mounted in location with "X" amount of caster and "Y" amount of camber. What do you folks think?

Thanks in advance.

I'm kinda doing a similar thing, I'm putting the macpherson strut setup with power steering from a 993 on the front of my 74' standard T1, and the multi-link setup in the rear. I spoke to an engineer at pelican parts and he said get a Strut bar (aftermarket strut tie'er together'r strengthen'er bar[thats the technical term]) to get a rough idea on how far apart the struts should be.

But you are right. You need to get the right geometry to make the struts work efficiently without binding and also excessive wear on suspension/steering components.

Best of luck to ya!

98' Audi A4
93' T-Bird (oh yeah!)
90' 911 C2
74' beetle
Old August 22nd 2005, 18:34
Superman

I have the book with the specs but (bought it on eBay) it didn't include the key to the measurements
Old August 22nd 2005, 22:24

C'mon Supe...whaddaya got?!
Old August 22nd 2005, 23:24
Superman

It's the factory repair manual for the 1302/1303 for crash replacement parts and does include the measurement specs. I ordered it, or rather a photo-copy, and it does have the chart with the specs but no key to give the measurements.

What I mean is that it has a bunch of measurement lines with values (A, B, C, etc.) but with no key I can not define those values.

I was kind of disappointed and haven't look into much since then, although I need to.