GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Engines

Old September 3rd 2010, 15:47

In tank fuel pump options

Hi all,
I've had my beetle running on subaru for a couple years now and although I have an extremely robust fuel system I'm considering going to an in-tank style pump.

Right now I have a 100gph Carter internally regulated at 5psi feeding a 1.5L surge tank, and a Walrbo 255lph pulls off the bottom of the surge tank. The surge tank has a small 3/16" bleed that tees into the fuel return line so the tank isn't under pressure.

My complaints about my current setup are that the surge tank and both pumps are within 8 inches of the front apron of the car. So a front end collision would result in fuel shooting everywhere. Also, the pumps are loud, the carter hums and the walbro whines. Also, an intake pump would drastically reduce the number of fittings and feet of fuel line, and also help keep the pump cool so it lasts.

I'd like to keep the factory tank so I'm looking at something like this:
http://www.tanksinc.com/index.cfm/pa...prod/prd84.htm
Do you think the supplied baffle would be sufficient for hard driving? They suggest to mount the pump to one side of the tank (left or right) with the baffle facing the center, that way turning one direction the sloshing is in your favour and turning the other the sump/baffle is doing the job.

Thoughts? Anyone do it a different way?

Mike

Last edited by Eatoniashoprat; September 3rd 2010 at 15:53.
Old September 3rd 2010, 17:13

Honestly, I don't think you need an in tank pump just the right one. If you can relocate the surge tank below the fuel tank that will eliminate one pump. Also, instead of running the walbro pump you should switch to a bosch 044 motorsport pump which is whisper quiet and more capable. An in tank pump creates more problems than it's worth with wiring pass-throughs but if you still feel like going that route I have an in tank wiring pass through I could pass on.
Old September 7th 2010, 10:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humble View Post
Honestly, I don't think you need an in tank pump just the right one. If you can relocate the surge tank below the fuel tank that will eliminate one pump. Also, instead of running the walbro pump you should switch to a bosch 044 motorsport pump which is whisper quiet and more capable. An in tank pump creates more problems than it's worth with wiring pass-throughs but if you still feel like going that route I have an in tank wiring pass through I could pass on.
I actually have a bosch 044 on order, should be here any day but if I didn't use it there are other projects that could. The only problem I have with putting the surge tank below the fuel tank is that the hot air from the radiator blows under the fuel tank, and a surge tank there would put a ton of heat into the fuel.

I'm just considering what the options are right now and whether or not to do it, I wasn't really serious about it until I saw the kit shown above. Still on the fence.

Mike
Old September 13th 2010, 07:10

Humble, trust me gravity feeding surge tanks doesnt work.

Mike I havent seen pics of your setup but it sounds pretty well identical to mine

I have a facet style pump feeding into my surge tank as well as the fuel rail return and a bosch 044 style pump feeding from the bottom of the surge tank and the overflow goes back into the filler neck

I have mine mounted in the back off the wheel well so its no threat in an accident

I toyed with the idea of an intank pump, its not that difficult, most intake pumps just need a mounting flange on the top of the tank, all the wiring and piping go in through the pumps housing itself not the tank
mainly the noise that annoys me, my lift pump is quiet as a mouse but the bosch buzzes fairly noticably at times

I've got my radiator sealed off with marine ply so there is no heat transfer and all the heat goes out the bottom and cant enter the trunk area

has worked well for over a year and 7000kms so far

Old September 13th 2010, 14:47

i have a catch tank, filled with an pierburg efi pump.
Than it goes to the efi highpower pump (up to 7bar)
Works fine with this two pumps
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Kofferraum_Einspritzung_4_web.jpg (65.0 KB, 161 views)