GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Transmissions

Old October 31st 2005, 09:35

901 trans. code

Hello

I found two 911 transmissions with the number 901.301.301.1R. and the second one with the number 915.301.301.6R on it. I know the 901 trans. is the early one and its weaker comp to the 915. I don't know how to identify wheather its a 5 speed or 4 speed one (as found on some 912 models). What gear ratios does the 901.....1R have? And how can I be sure about the condition of the trans. before actually buying it. The output flanges I measured for the CV's have 110 mm outer diameter and the bolt pattern is appr. 97 mm's (both the 901 and 915). Which VW CV joint should I use? Type 2 or type1? From what I understand the 215 mm type 4 Volkswagen Bus clutch and pressure plate s a bolt on to the 901 trans.
Do I have to reverse the throwout arm (can it be done) on the 901 cluch mechanism in order to mate it to the VW cluch cable? Which throwout bearing (Porsche or VW) is to be used?
I've read the Porsche trans. into Bug article in a VW Speed issue (was the 2004/11 issue I guess) and the installation seems to be quite straightforward with the Bug@5-peed parts.
The asking price for the transmissions is 800 USD each, but as the 901 conv. seems easier then the 915 conv. I'm more inclined towards buying the 901 one. (The 915 needs the original and expensive 911 cluch and press. plate if I remember right?) Thats too many questions asked I know. But since this is the only option to get a 911 5 speed trans. for me, I would be very happy if someone could help me out on this subject.

Greetings.
Old November 2nd 2005, 06:17

Hi 1303 C2/3,

could have contacted me directly, no problem with questions.

The described 901 gearbox is one of the latest types, cause it has the pulled clutch system. The number that you gave is not correct. The correct number is underneatht the gearbox (the one you gave is the nose cone´s number).

It depends on which engine you would like to install, what gearbox you take. The 901 has short ratios and stands up to 270/280 Nm (only have the German torque measurements). The ratio of the gears are (from 1st to 5th):
3,091; 1,888; 1,318; 0,961; 0,793.
The 914 gearbox is nearly the same but has much longer ratios (4th and 5th):
0,925; 0,709. With tyres of 225/50/15 it makes a difference of 20 km/h in the fifth gear.
The 901 is ok for engines with high revs, but not for torque strong big engines.

The 915 is really a beast. It has long ratios and stands up to 350 Nm torque. We only take it for turbo-powered engines (f.e. Subaru Turbo).

The axle flanges can be changed to ones with smaller diameter (have them for both gearboxes). Have the conversion parts for 915 also.

The 901 clutch lever can be changed to one for a pushed clutch. The 915 can be changed to pushed clutch also.

If you have more questions, or if you like to order something (-:, please contact me info@bugat5speed.de

Cheers Martin
Old November 2nd 2005, 10:09

Hey Martin nice site..

Bablefish became my best friend.. seems like you have some nifty parts..

Can you go into further detail, in another tread? Not sure what the protocol would be.. but curious as to your solution for putting a 901 911 into a bug..

Seems like you address the transverse front mount, shifter, shifter tube and clutch.. but it was a little difficult with the translation..

Do you have an english version of the site

PS Nice parts
Alex
Old November 2nd 2005, 10:50

Hi LOAF,

sorry no English site yet. For the 901/914 conversion it´s a nose cone (30 mm shorter than the original one, the front traverse, axle flanges (for beetle cvs and also for Porsche 944/Bus cvs), clutch cable mount plate, clutch cable connector, adjusted clutch lever, 5-speed-shifter.

For the 915-conversion it is a short nose cone (20 mm shorter), axle flanges with Porsche 944/Bus diameter, and a front aluminium cast traverse too.

Am preparing a rear traverse at the moment that fits the bellhousing of the Porsche gearboxes (is different to Beetle bellhousings).

Already made an own thread in the past, but it seems that nobody really wants to drive 5-speed in the US. Here in Europe it´s quite an important technical improvement and there are lots of interested people.

I always say that it is better to drive such a gearbox from a well known sportscar manufacturer, than installing such a hobby solution like some companies offer (making 5-speed out of a Beetle gearbox). The Beetle gearbox always stays a Beetle gearbox and does not stand that, what lots of people wish, that it would do.

If you have further questions please contact me directly, as it always seems to be an advert conversation.

Cheers Martin
Old November 2nd 2005, 10:55

Martin,

I will look for that older thread..

Probably the initial reluctance was from the piecing together of all the parts.. One stop solutions that work are probably more receptive.. also cost.. but fear not there are plenty of folks starting to get on the wagon...

I will talk off line.. as I have some more questions, that may not be completely appropriate, with out turning this into a sales pitch..

If you have any pictures of the tranny's in beetles that would be nice..

Alex
Old November 3rd 2005, 10:43

Bug@5speed..

PM sent with some questions, that hopefully you can clear up for me..

Thanks
Alex
Old November 3rd 2005, 16:11

@LOAF,

sent a PM.

Size of messages is limited to 3500 single units. Please write the next message to my e-mail-address info@bugat5speed.de

Thanks Martin
Old November 7th 2005, 11:35

Evil and all,

Had a length conversion with Martin, at Bug5 to further discuss issues. Based on intial discussions and customer service, I will try some if not all his products and report back. Only factor is $$. I am looking at getting some items in Dec and make that my winter project. The approach seems straight fwd..

Hope the info I received helps you all. So here goes. I will break this up into different smaller topics.
Topic/Issue/Response

Q1. Tranny Location- As mentioned "Usually hangs back" due to the
nose cone.
BUG5: (nose cone gives 30 mm extra) Therefore by using the Bug5 nose, tranny can be moved fwd.

Q2. Clutch and/or frame horns..
BUG5 These parts are for the clutch cable to a) mount it to the gearbox, and b) make an adjustable connection between the inside clutch cable and the clutch lever of the Porsche gearbox. Both parts are made out of stainless steel. The "Kleinteile" have the correct screw thread M7 inside for the clutch cable. You can easily adjust the clutch with it.

Q3. Rear Cross member
Bug5: to make rear mounts in a powdered version. They will have the contours of the 901/914 bellhousing, which is different from the Beetle´s bellhousing.

Q4 Front Cross member- As far as the front, do I still need to weld in some brackets to attach to this member?
BUg5: Front mount is very very solid. Front mount is bolted under the brackets of the IRS-arms. So you only have to drill a 12 mm whole into the bottom of each of the brackets. Then you can bolt on the traverse. With the traverse come 4 cotters to balance the bevel of the bracket on the underside. Nothing has to be welded to the chassis.

Q5 Output shafts to connect to 944..
Bug5 has them for Porsche 944 cvs.

Q6 Shifter and linkage
Bug5- You use the shift rod of your car. Only at the end (direction gearbox) you must weld in a bracket where the hinge of a 911 is fixed in. That bracket can be cut out of an original 911 shift rod (too expensive) or can be taken from the steering rods (tie rod ?) from most other cars. This part is only for clamping in the hinge.

BUG5 Shifter- It works very exactly and very straight forward. The original shifter from porsche has very long shift ways (120 mm per gear), this shifter only takes 55 mm. The springs inside a very strong and they move you in the right position by shifting forward from 1st into 2nd gear. Although the
901 has a very strange shift pattern (1st left side
pulled, 2nd next line pushed) .

I wanted to add that it also works with Factory Location with minimal tweaking need to fit, as opposed to 901 shifter..

Here is a list of most the items you would need. Prices are on the site..

-Nose cone short aluminium cast
-front traverse al. cast
-Axle flanges (Pair of) for Porsche 944 CVs
-Shifter Bug @ 5-Speed
-Clutch cable mounting plate
-clutch cable connector to lever

I also had asked about some references.. And if anyone has these issues please let us know.

There were reports in VWSpeed (11/04, 4 pages), in VWTech (issue 18, 5 or 6 pages), UltraVW (March 2005, 3 or 4 pages). Products are well known and accepted in most European countries. There are about 100 cars on the road with this conversions. In issue 10/2005 of VW Speed Bug5 car with Subaru Turbo and Porsche 915 gearbox is reported about. There you see some pics. In issue 21 of VWTech (France) a customers car can be seen from the underside with Bug5 parts. In January there will be a big report about my 1303 in VWSpeed (see under Projekte!). It´s a very nice German style. In this report you will see all of Bug5 products on the car.

Keep you guys posted.
Alex
NNJ
Old November 9th 2005, 00:47

Loaf thank you for the info. I've also contacted Martin about the conversion parts. I'm getting the back issue from UltraVW (March 2005) to do some research on the installation (Martin noted that this issue shows the install step by step). Also in regards to the rear mount (he only has them for the newer magnesium cased 901/914 tranny) but that is not a big deal. Also he carries 2 types of the front nose cones for early/late trannys. So you will have to figure out whether your 901 is made from Magnesium or Aluminum before you purchase the parts. I will be also purchasing some of his parts to do this conversion (hopefully by December) so that I can complete my T4/901 install. So depending on who gets their parts first I might need to bug you (your free to ask questions if I get my parts first) about the install.
Old November 9th 2005, 10:11

Awesome the race is on.. Darn brother is holding my equity that I need.. Never do business with younger brothers.. Had to lend him for the VW fund..

Thanks for pointing that out about the case.. I will be ordering the back issue asap. had forgotten about ..

I think we maybe onto something here. Do you read German?
Sometime things get lost in the translation..
Take care.
A
Old November 9th 2005, 23:37

the race is indeed on. I've ordered the back issue last night and I'm having it airmailed to me (hoping to see it soon). I think there is a post on the shoptalkforums about this conversion (I'm going to hunt it down tonight). I'm hoping to purchase the setup by thanksgiving (going to divert funds from my fuel injection buy....I'll live with carbs for now). I'm really believing that we are indeed on to something here. And the fact that its already installed on more than a handfull of cars makes me feel that the old way of installing the 901 is about to go the way of the doudou (bad spelling day). I've got a few questions for Martin but I'm saving them up till after I have all the info so that I only bug him once (besides I might find my answers in the article). You did make a good point about the translation of the website. I don't speak German....but I think I can find someone who does.
Old November 10th 2005, 00:06

LOL..

Man I think you got me.. I am half way there and my younger brother has some $$ he owes me.. Probably get it by mid dec.. darn.. Second place is almost as good, I think..

I hear you..

When you ask martin please CC me.. olaverriam@yahoo.com
I got some home work to do myself.. Mind if I ask what your issues are off line?

Talk to you tomorrow.
Alex
Old November 10th 2005, 04:20

Hi,

found out this morning that the currency of Euro to Dollar has decreased from nearly 1.30 to 1.17 in the last weeks. That means, that prices are about 10 % lower than a few weeks ago. So, if someone ist interested it might be that it is a good time to order. Or stay informed about currencies!

Will have a new charge of conversions again by the end of November. Only one kit left at the moment.

Cheers Martin
Old November 10th 2005, 09:46

Martin, your killing me..

I may have to go to become a donor bank in order to beat Evil on this one..

Alex
Old November 10th 2005, 11:58

Just ordered my Back issue

Now I can't wait..
ALex