GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Transmissions

Old April 24th 2006, 20:00

Yah, I was waiting for someone to catch onto the 930 version of the 915 being 4 speed

The Carrera G50 (mechanical clutch) is on hot demand from people trying to put them in earlier 911s that came with 915s... 911 guys seem hard on the 1st gear synchros.

Having a '79 911SC with the 915 tranny I can vouch that it is a smooth tranny when properly used and with the right oil in it.

Due to the aerodynamic limitations of the Beetle platform I think it is a lot of extra cost and effort for a 6th gear that is hardly needed. IMHO

Good Luck,
'96 GMC Sierra Crew Cab 6.5L Diesel
'99 GMC Suburban 6.5L Diesel
VolkSport Kafer Gruppe
Old August 29th 2006, 14:16

How much harder is it to fit a G50/00 short bell transmission than a 915? Are they close to the same length or would alot of cutting be needed to fit a G50/00? I know some is needed for the 915 but I just wanted to know how much more may be needed.
Old October 28th 2006, 14:43

I'm considering a 915 for the car in my avitar hooked to a EJ25 Subaru but finding a reliable source for a tranny that isn't over $1,000 is hard. Any leads? Thanks.
Jeff
Old October 28th 2006, 19:38

Reliable (5-6 speed) PORSCHE transmission are always more than $1,000.00. A core is usually worth $2,500. Take note that some race built 915 can cost $7,500. and G50/50s built can cost $10,000. Figure most used take-out G50's in good shape can be about $2,500-3,500 easily. Also note some cheaper units will not have LSD. Another think to look at in the budget process is that your clutch, if you buy a good one like Sachs or Centerforce, is going to cost another $1,000. Make sure the new clutch can handle the higher horsepower you will be generating. The old cars did not put out much stock, compared to a new turbo Suby.

Thanks,
Randy
Meyers Manx Signature #85 , 79 Convert
Old October 28th 2006, 19:45

Go on Google and do a search for G50 short bell transmission. There is a company that sell shortened bell G50 transmissions so they fit better they also sell a clutch kit to. I am currently at work and do not have acess to the name of the site but I will update you later when I am home.
Pirate VW Services is looking for weber IDF and IDA carbs "to far gone to repair". We are also looking for 74 Super Beetle and later controll arms that are to badley bent to use or repair. PM for details.

Sevice with a yarrhhhh!
Old March 21st 2007, 17:16

Here is the link for a short bell G50 transmission

http://www.patrickmotorsports.com/
Pirate VW Services is looking for weber IDF and IDA carbs "to far gone to repair". We are also looking for 74 Super Beetle and later controll arms that are to badley bent to use or repair. PM for details.

Sevice with a yarrhhhh!