GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Suspension

Old June 14th 2003, 12:07

944 handbrake cables, bug ones??

hey
I just picked up a early 944 setup for the back of my bug, the disks, pads etc were changed not so long ago, so i'm well inpressed with the price i paid and theyre local too!! 5mins away
Any how, everything looks like it shall all bolt on no problem, only thing that i'm not sure on is the handbrake cable and so i thought i'd ask you guys.
I got the end of the 944 cable still in the back of the caliper mount, so basically i just need to know how to get the bug cable to the correct length, and the correct fitting on the end. I dont really want to crip on new ends as i dont feel theyre as safe as a stock cable made by the pros!
Basically guys if you wouldn't do it on your own bug don't suggest it, i want this to be as safe as possible, as i use the handbrake alot and if it goes tits up im well f**ked
any help appreciated so i can get the car back on the road!
Adam
Old June 17th 2003, 11:41

ok i think ive got it sussed
does anyone know where a can get a diagram to show me where all the parts go for the handbrake??? ive worked out most of it as its the same as modern cars but, im stuck on the parts where the cable joins to the metal piece which goes to the pads (you confused too?? so am i )
help guys
Adam
Old June 17th 2003, 12:12
Superman

www.pelicanparts.com/944/944_parts/944_83-85/Pic69.jpg
Old June 17th 2003, 23:55

I would use new cables to set it up as the old ones are stretched. The beatle cables are very close to the right length. The way I did it works, but new ends is the way to go. The originals are crimped on just like the new ones, so it is not a strength issue. However there is very little room in there to mess around. I did mine before the Porsche items were available.
This is the proceedure. It may take a couple of tries to get it right as I didn't measure things. Be sure to use new cables.
Cut off the bug clips as close to them as possible. Put on the new ends making sure the cable is bottomed in the new clip. Wedge it in place with a very small nail, tape, or even a small drop of Super Glue, you want to have it stay in place while you measure, but not be permanent in case you want to shorten the cable.
Clip the new cables on the rear brakes and thread them into the tunnel to the emergency brake handle. Once you thread the cable up through the handle install the nuts with a couple of threads showing. Make sure the emergency handle is all the way down! Measure the distance from the handle to the back side of the nut and that is the excess cable length. I would leave an extra 1/8 inch so the cable is not tight with the handle down.
Remove the cable, pull the cable out of the clips, measure the above length and cut it off, reinsert the cable again temporarily and measure to see if the fitting is correct. If the fitting is correct you can then crimp the cable making sure the end is all the way in. Reassemble and you should be good to go.
There is one other problem. The 944 hub has a long cone shaped tube coming out of the hub through which the cable runs. The outside cable end ( the large diameter black flexible cable through which the brake cable runs from the brakes to the chassis) should fit into the end of this tube. It doesn't. The end is curved and it will flip out of the tube and hang up the brakes. To get around this I took the cone shaped tube out of the hub set it up right and hammered the end of the tube with the round end of a ball pein hammer to flare it to match the curve of the big cable end. Due to the flare, the end will not flip over it just tries to slide back into the end of the flare. As an additional precaution I slipped a short length of rubber tubing over the joint between the cable end and the cone and worm clamped them tightly together. Please make sure this is right before you shorten the cables!!!!!!! If by chance your cables are too short you can trim off the ends of the cones to correct for the problem.
As far as using your emergency brakes like you do on your bug forget it as the shoes aren't very big at all. They will hold you starting on a hill or maybe one emergency stop and not much more.
It is alot easier than it sounds and I have tried to include all contingencies, however there is always questions I didn't think about.
I don't know if they sent instructions with the Porsche clips or not, but properly installed they won't come apart. They have been used on aircraft for years.
I would also use new brake hard lines to the calipers. They are bent different than a bugs even though you follow basically the same path to the caliper. The fittings on mine bolt right up to the single pot rear calipers.
I hope this helps as it is a very good easy way to get ventilated large diameter brakes in the rear of a bug.
Old June 18th 2003, 00:15
Superman

chigger, that's long enough to make a tech article and submit to vujade

Personally, I went with the Kerscher adapters.
Old June 18th 2003, 03:59

right cheers for the info guys
I'm not happy with the idea of criping the ends on myself! ad its never going to be as strong as when theyre originally done are they?? and i dont know of any local people who could do it.
I havent looked into the kerscher stuff mainly as i feel it shall be over priced and im impatient and i want these on now
I'm taking notes/photos of this as i go along, for on my site as there arent many sites on the rear brakes but loads on the front
cheers guys much appreciated
Adam
Old June 18th 2003, 04:34

you can get cables made up to any length with all sorts of different fittings. I had some made up years ago for my splitty when I IRS'd it by speedy cables ( i think thats what they are called). Have a look in the back of practical classics

project in progress
Old June 18th 2003, 06:04

Adam,
You can make your own handbrake adapter piece out of 4mm thick steal. Just copy the porsche one in form, but make a 'hook' on the end, like the bug one. Relatively easy and costs nothing! Make sure the hook has a wide enough arc so its strong enough.
I've done this twice. I make handbrake turns on the dry and it never failed. The bug cable fits snug in the porsche alu adapter piece, so no problem there either. Plus the bug cable is the right length.
I've done the same on my 944 turbo brake set-up also, but its easier and fits better with the early N/A set-up.
Good luck,
Walter
Old June 18th 2003, 13:05

hey wally
I saw they adaptions you made to yours, as theres a photo in the gallery, i've done mine sort of the same way, i'm taking pictures of it all and shall be posting it all soon. Im quite impressed with the way things are going, only started putting them on today and the car will be back on the road tommorow!
I took it to a rolling road with the drums on the back to get some readings, and when the setup is on the car i shall take it again, to see what the difference is like, I hope you are right in what you say about the bias being right, if so i've got a rear disk setup for just £150!!! and to think i considered shelling out £650
cheers everyone, all your help is appreciated as i couldnt do it without you!!
Adam
Old June 19th 2003, 11:17

Bug-er,

would be awesome to see..
I am heading there once I get my front done.
Alex
Old June 19th 2003, 13:44

right all done
Put the car on the rolling road before and after and result is no difference, im letting the pads bed in a bit and they trying it on the rolling road again! But on the road it is awsome!! the braking is way better and the looks!!! it looks WICKED
So in summary
Early 944 rear disks on a swingaxle and VW crossdrilled front disks are perfectly matched!!! using stock vw master cylinder!!
cost to date for rear disks on my bug is £150!! what a result!!
just gotta finish my film off but will have pics asap!!!
cheers
Adam
Old June 19th 2003, 16:02

Hi Adam,
I won't tell you I told you so, but...I told you so :-)
Good for you, congrats!
Walter
Old June 20th 2003, 05:53

Quote:
Originally posted by Wally
Hi Adam,
I won't tell you I told you so, but...I told you so :-)
Good for you, congrats!
Walter

i was hoping what you said was correct but more people said i'd have to run an compensator and i was beginning to believe the majority
I guess not many people just do the rear conversion so they dont really know
cheers wally much apreciated
Adam
Old June 25th 2003, 09:01

Thumbs up

It is great to hear your car is on the road and every thing is working right. A compensator is probably not needed most of the time. I like to forsee problems and have a solution ready for them. I just decided to go with one because they are cheap $30 and it is easier to install with the pan out of the car just in case I need one.
Another GL on the road! Yea!!!!