GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Suspension

Old September 18th 2002, 05:42

Quote:
Originally posted by MattKab
You don't get low profile slick tyres do you?
err... yes! what do the touring cars use?

thinking about it more, i think another part of my problem was the amount of negative camber i run at the rear.. doesnt help on straight line launches as the outside inch or so of the tread doesnt touch the ground when the rear end squats.... my front end doesnt lift at all either..
Old September 18th 2002, 14:24

Thanks guys, I still have some reservations about compound spring suspension. The coil-overs alone and the torsion bars removed would do the trick, if the springs could be made to order, with the appropriate springrate. I might just try the 944 torsion bars and see for myself. Another thing on the list to try! Of course I'll share the results. I can't find any technical data on 944's- axle weights, weight transfer, that sort of stuff. Any ideas?

Bren, have you considered an IRS set-up for you Bug?

'Touring cars don't drag race! my point was about hooking up. Drag cars don't do bends. Touring cars take care not to wheel spin to the back of the pack (from the startline).

Back to drag launching Bugs- a ~23" cast/spun Ally wheel with a lowpro slick would accelerate easier than a 15" wheel with squarer section slick- far less inertia to overcome. And a massive saving in weight. It doesn't happen! The sub 6sec drag cars drivewheels are nearly all rubber! Less likely to 'snatch' due to the massive potential energy they have to store. This stored energy comes from the losses in the dynamic response of the tyre. The difference in the relative accelerations between axle and tyre footprint aids traction from static. Underdamping. That's why you don't get lowpro slicks at the 'pod.

This is based on my understanding only, please correct me if i'm wrong. Too much control and response theory work to keep it to myself

Andy, I looked out for you/your Bug at 'Action! 'you there?
Old September 19th 2002, 07:00

Quote:
Originally posted by MattKab
Bren, have you considered an IRS set-up for you Bug?

yup! but it wont happen until i tear my car apart for a rebuild.. ie: its a long way off! im perfectly happy with the handling of the swingaxle rear end anyway, ive spent a long time getting it to work well on the street so im not gonna undo it all for a while yet..

'Touring cars don't drag race! my point was about hooking up. Drag cars don't do bends.

exactly! its all about compromise! you choose setup and parts for your car depending on its main use. my car was built for the street, particularly setup for cornering, hence its poor launches at the 'pod.. no big deal for me, i would rather have a car that handles well on the street than one that handles like a dog but is able to launch hard.. after all, the roads in this country cannot be described as straight! ...and as my car does 6000miles a year on the roads, and only about 2 miles a year on the dragstrip you can see why my car is setup like it is! decent drag cars cant take corners.. its the flipside of the coin.. they see little or no road use, so they dont care that they cant corner.. dragstrips dont have corners after all!