GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > German Look Tuning

Old September 21st 2009, 19:22

Sway bar Suggestions?

I've lowered the front of the car, rear to follow soon, not stupid low, but decent. The sway bar is pushing the control arms back at a funny angle, so I need a lowered swaybar. When replacing the sway bar I also want to upgrade to poly bushings of course. I also want to add in adjustable camber and caster.

Here is the question: Who makes a decent swaybar or are they all about the same quality just buy from whoever sells the cheapest? I know you get what you pay for, so I would like other peoples input on this, I'm not willing to pay $500 for a gold plated swaybar but want something decent, I already have topline struts and springs and a strut tower brace. I have KYB gas adjusts in the rear, and will be putting 17*7 wheels on soon. I want to be able to get the alignment dialed in properly. My struts are the wierd three bolt type.

Suggestions would be nice,links would be awesome. Some sites aren't clear on what goes where. I may not need adjustable castor but I've read this can make a big difference in handleing without much increase in effort.

My car is not a track only car, it is mainly driven on the street, hard. I drive it to and from work, all over. It has a front Kamei spoiler and a herrod helper, possibly soon a duckbill for the decklid...
Everyone told me its not a good idea to daily drive an aircooled bug. I agree, if the engine has a distributor and you use cheap engine parts... OR you have an early car without the decklid vents or you neglect to add an oil cooler with fan...
Old September 21st 2009, 20:32

Topline has the "camber fix" kit you want (new eccentric bolts, sway bar bushings, and sway bar) This would be your cheapest route in the US.

1962 SC 1776cc SP 944NA brakes, 993 wheels

VKG
Old September 22nd 2009, 07:59

If you've lowered the car so that the sway bar is pushing the TCA back then a number of things are happening:
1) You will have lost some caster that will make the vehicle wander a bit.
2) You will also have lost any anti-dive that was built into the suspension settings.

The answer won't just be a sway bar. IMO you need to be a bit more radical. The front suspension is very simple. You could add a goodly amount of adjustability by:

A) Fabricating an adjustable TCA
B) Adding a compression strut. The pick up point for the strut would be on the trans tunnel. The height of the bracket would determine the anti-dive so it could be made with a number of pivot points. The compression strut also determines the caster.
C) The sway bar would then be divorced from the TCA location duties so with a simple link onto the TCA it too could be made adjustable
So in conclusion, for a small limited amount of work you could have a FULLY adjustable suspension, not only for ride height, but camber, caster and roll stiffness. The end result would be as good as and in some way better than a double wishbone layout.

Clive
Old September 22nd 2009, 12:13

I'm not a suspension guru,I do understand most of what you said, but what does TCA stand for? Top control arm?
Everyone told me its not a good idea to daily drive an aircooled bug. I agree, if the engine has a distributor and you use cheap engine parts... OR you have an early car without the decklid vents or you neglect to add an oil cooler with fan...
Old September 22nd 2009, 17:27

The TCA is the Track Control Arm i.e. the bottom arm that pivots on the centreline of the car and connects to the bottom of the Macpherson strut. It has a bush at the inner pivot point and one at the end of the anti-roll bar. I intend to fabricate something along the lines of what I described myself at some stage. I will re-use the TCA bushes as they are polyurethane, one for the new TCA inner pivot and one for the inner pivot for the compression strut just to reduce the NVH (Noise, Vibration and Harshness) as this is essentially a road going car not a pure racer.

If you look at the Japanaese racer featured on this web site you will see that this has a 'tension' strut which controls the caster. I'm not keen on the tension strut arrangement for two reasons:

a) The loads are transferred into what is the weakest part of the chassis that can suffer from a lack of torsional stiffness. The compression strut I described feeds the loads back into the chassis at one of the stiffest locations.
b) To effect anti-dive the line through the front and rear inner pivot points should intersect with the rear trailing arm line somewhere above the central tunnel and inside the car. The higher the intersection the graeter the anti-dive. If you rely on the anti-roll bar or a tension strut then to get a steep enough angle the front pivot point would need to be lowered closer to the tarmac, which will limit the angle to be acheived. With the inner pivot of a compression strut there is less of a problem of getting it high enough.

Clive
Old September 22nd 2009, 20:05

Clive's got the right idea if you can do the fab. If you can't or want to go the cheap route grab caber fix sway bar bushings (what I have on the yellow car) or a modified sway bar for lowered supers (what's on the race car) both from topline. Bushes are cheap, but if you're going to upgrade the sway bar anyway might as well grab one for a lowered super.
Old September 22nd 2009, 23:40

Ok so I'm going to upgrade ANYWAYS, so I'll get the lowered super swaybar, do I still need to get camber and caster adjustment pieces or no?
Old September 23rd 2009, 12:59

If you get the lowered swaybar you don't need to get the castor fix busshings and if you want you might want to grab the camber+ adjusters too
Old October 17th 2009, 22:27

Those camber + adjusters are $55 for a couple of bushings and some bolts!

Should I just get the sway bar from topline for $90 + shipping or is the CB performance sway bar better at $120 but free shipping?
Old October 18th 2009, 05:16

Do either sway bars either compensate for a lowered suspension or offer any adjustability? What's their spec and are they any better that original and if so then in what way? Like all vehicle mods you should satisfy yourself that they will be an improvement over stock. Don't get caught up in the glamour of it all because you will be wasting money possibly on one of diverging compatability.

Clive
Old October 18th 2009, 10:02
Administrator

The caster can be moved forward some with a caster bushing (hole for bar is shifted forward in the bushing) on the TopLine bar. I don't know about the CB bar. The camber+ setup from TopLine gives you much more adjustability than the standard camber adjuster. Yetibone made his front swaybar setup and had some more adjustability. You might be able to find some pix of it if you do a search of his posts.
66 Beetle, 73 Standard Beetle
72 Pinzgauer 710M
Volksport Kafer Gruppe
Old October 18th 2009, 14:15

I guess I'll get the topline bar, and later get the camber+ adjusters and castor fix bushings...
Old October 18th 2009, 15:58
Administrator

If you ask when you order, the caster fix bushing will come with the sway bar instead of the standard bushings.
72 Pinzgauer 710M
Volksport Kafer Gruppe
Old October 18th 2009, 18:44

That makes the caster adjustable? or fixes it with more Castor than stock?
Old October 18th 2009, 19:26
Administrator

No, it moves the sway bar forward giving you a bit more caster. You will need that if you lower the front. It is not adjustable.
72 Pinzgauer 710M
Volksport Kafer Gruppe