GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Transmissions

Old October 22nd 2005, 16:47

914-4 Side Shift Trany

Hi,

I have access to a 914 side shift trany for cheap. Can somebody tell what modifications are need to be done to put this in a VW. It sounds like a tail shift trany would be best but I am interested in what it would take to make a side shift work. Anyone used a side shift and made it work? If so can you go into some detail about it and how much it cost? What different items did you have to buy and what extra work did it take than a 914 tail shift trany.
Thanks
Old October 25th 2005, 05:25

Hi notch62,

the 914 2.0 or sideshifter gearbox is the one that is more complicated to converse for Beetle installation. Besides the nose cone and the long shift rod you also have to change the insides shift rods to the one from the 914 1.7 or to 901-rods.
Installing the sideshifetr into the Beetle as it is is no good idea. The shift mechanism is very low and very much to the side, where the arms of the floorpan are. You would loose a lot of ground clearance on one hand, on the other hand you would have to find a way to get the shift rod there, where it is needed at the sideshifter gearbox - far away from the middle of the tunnel.

I mainly use 914-gearboxes for my conversions because they have the more interesting gear ratios compared with to 901-trannys. But I always make a full conversion with my parts. Installation is then really easy, stabile and it fits perfectly.
If you are interested please have a look on my site www.bugat5speed.de.
See under Angebot/Umbauteile Porsche-Getriebe. There you find the conversion parts.

Cheers Martin
Old November 3rd 2005, 18:27

I hope I'm not Hi-jacking a thread.

I'm putting a 914 side shift in my Ghia. I've converted everything over. Nose cone, shift rod, internal gear selectors. Is there anything I should be concerned about? Something not working right maybe? I took the peices out of a spare tailshift 914.

Thanks.
'64 Ghia - Project!!-Subaru EJ20T, MS/EDIS, 993 brakes, 914 Tranny...
Old November 6th 2005, 21:13

Question

hallo Martin

dont you have a english or french traduction of your site, my german is poor...

could you give is some prices ? I have a few 914 gear boxes at home could be a good option for my futur projet.

what is better, I have 1700cc and 2 litre gear boxes.. what is the best model to use..

regards

dunke

david
Old November 7th 2005, 08:27

The better basis for a conversion of 914s gearboxes is the 1.7-version. The inside shift rods are the same as in the 901-gearbox and only the long shift barr that comes out of the nose cone will have to be added.

Prices are (but are on my site also):

nose cone short aluminium cast 220 Euro
traverse front aluminium cast 210 Euro
traverse rear steel for 914 80 Euro
pair of axle flanges 250 Euro
5 speed shifter 350 Euro
mounting plate clutch cable 20 Euro
clutch cable connector 28 Euro

There was a hughe report in VWTech in France about me and my products. It was issue 18 and it should be easy for you to get one.

Besides reports in UltraVW (issue March 2005) and some in VWSpeed (especially issue 11/2004).

The site will be in English in 2-3 months time.

If you have further questions, please contact me directly on info@bugat5speed.de.

Cheers Martin
Old March 5th 2006, 13:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by elroocky
hallo Martin

dont you have a english or french traduction of your site, my german is poor...

could you give is some prices ? I have a few 914 gear boxes at home could be a good option for my futur projet.

what is better, I have 1700cc and 2 litre gear boxes.. what is the best model to use..

regards

dunke

david
The tailshift 914-11 (901) tranny is probably the best to convert as the internals should be in better shape as it is hard to abuse the tranny with the tail shift assembly. Sideshifters tend to have lots more wear on the dogteeth and sliders due to the ability to force the gears due to the shift rods (better leverage) especially first gear.

Geoff