GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Transmissions

Old January 18th 2010, 11:43

Subaru Trans Possibility

I recently learned about the development of a reverse cut ring and pinion gearset for the Subaru 5-speed transaxle - thought the folks on here might be interested?
This will allow the trans to be used in a rear-engine application, like a VW based car or sand rail.
To my knowledge no-one has so far built a trans with the new gearset or run it, or even adapted this trans to a VW chassis - so this is a totally fresh and new approach.
I've been following using the use of this trans in mid-engine applications in 914's and kit cars, but this is cutting edge for rear engine use.

Stub axles have also been developed to allow direct bolt-on of VW CV joints (I believe T2?) and 33 spline axles. Also Bremar sells the bits to convert from 4WD to FWD - also an easy bolt-on solution.

Things remaining are mounts, and shifter connection - but from the variety and innovative work I've seen here that should be a piece of cake.

This seems a natural for a Subaru engine swap - but it's not a stretch to think Kennedy couldn't come up with a "reverse" adapter kit to bolt a VW engine to this trans.

For folks considering a 5-speed swap - this opens up another possibility...

Jeff
Old January 23rd 2010, 05:05

Subaru Trans Possibility

Hi this is what I have found sounds like ground braking news to me http://www.volkszone.com/VZi/showthread.php?t=614660
Old January 23rd 2010, 09:03

http://www.members.iinet.net.au/~ttriebler/
Old January 25th 2010, 09:19

This all brings into persective the possibilities for a Scooby powered 4x4 bug. A whole Legacy for £200 + £1500 CW&P conversion + the cost of a loom adaption + fabrication makes it VEEEEERY attractive.

Clive
Old January 27th 2010, 02:15

scooby box

There seems to bit quite a bit of concern over the strength of the five speed boxes ,apparently they might not be strong enough for turbo power or large amounts of bhp ??? any thoughts
Old February 22nd 2010, 12:10

Am I right saying that they can be used with an aircooled engine as well? Only with IRS suspension? Does anybody know the final ratio of the 5 spd subaru tranny compared to a stock type1 unit?
Old February 22nd 2010, 17:49

Hi

I wish I knew about this a few years ago. Maybe next time.

If these prove popular with off road guys the price of subi trans will go up

I just put the numbers through a gear ratio program and they look good.

I just picked a random 5 speed.

JDM Impreza WRX MY93 1st 3.454 (48 kph) 2nd 2.062 (82 kph) 3rd 1.448 (116 kph) 4th 1.088 (166 kph) 5th 0.825 (203 kph) final drive 4.111, 6,000 rpm with a 24 inch tyre, 101 kph @ 3000 rpm

Steve
Old February 23rd 2010, 09:49

The use of a scooby box sparked some interest with me as the potential was there to create a 4wd bug relatively simply especially with a Super. The Scooby front struts can be used along with a flipped diff unit at the front with a simple fabricated frame to replace the framehead. I even toyed with the idea that the central tranny tunnel could be changed with a frame spine. With 300bhp, <1000kg, rear engine, 4wd as a minimum with the potential for 750+bhp with aftermarket gearsets the vehicle has got to be a real street/track sleeper/burner!

Clive
Old February 23rd 2010, 17:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve C View Post
Hi

I wish I knew about this a few years ago. Maybe next time.

If these prove popular with off road guys the price of subi trans will go up

I just put the numbers through a gear ratio program and they look good.

I just picked a random 5 speed.

JDM Impreza WRX MY93 1st 3.454 (48 kph) 2nd 2.062 (82 kph) 3rd 1.448 (116 kph) 4th 1.088 (166 kph) 5th 0.825 (203 kph) final drive 4.111, 6,000 rpm with a 24 inch tyre, 101 kph @ 3000 rpm

Steve
The availability of the reverse cut R&P set is just within the last few months Steve.
Todd's determination to do a 4WD Bug based on Subaru drivetrain required the special gearset - which otherwise would be totally unavailable. I can't imagine the financial commitment to get a special cut gearset made! But Todd went through with it, and now others can benefit from this development. I've got a feeling though, this is the kind of special "product" that won't be around for years to come. In other words, if it sounds like something one would want to jump into for their build, I wouldn't count on these gearsets being available 5 or 7 years from now (thinking you can wait until you get around to it!).

Jeff