GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Transmissions

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old September 19th 2010, 14:45

Porsche 915, I'm looking for proven hydraulic clutch set up

Soooooooo, I'm on attempt 7.9 now of getting my hydraulic clutch set up to work and I think I'm there but knowing I have to remove the fuel tank, track rods and spend hours disconnecting pipes whilst wiggling things around isn't pleasing expecially knowing it might not work....... again.

So the set up I'm going with at the minute consists of

Subaru EJ20WRX to Porsche 915 with Kennedy adaptor plate, Flywheel and Pull to release clutch.

Porsche 915 transaxle with a type one arm
Landrover Series 2 Master cylinder, Think its a 19mm cylinder
CNC slave cylinder(from the SACO kit)
All operated by my stock VW type 3 pedals

It's been a while...... but when I tested this setup on the bench I'm sure that the master cylinder could move the slave through its entire travel with one complete pump.

Now its all in the car, bleed and operational, things dont feel so good.

When activating the pedal it seems to move a lot with not much happening, the slave is moving but the type one arm doesn't move much. My bracket is flexing a little possibly 1- 1.5MM but not a huge amount. As far as I know I bleed the system twice and I'm confident that their is no air in the system.

Problems that concern me with my set u:

A. I know my push rod which connects the VW clutch hook to the master cylinder needs adjusting/Lengthening. currently the pedal feels like its over half way through its travel and doesn't take much to hit the floor.

B. That my type one clutch arm requires too much force to move the kennedy clutch spring plate. I attempted to manually activate the clutch which was impossible by hand, I ended up with a meter long bar on the type one arm to move it manually. It operates fine and freely however does require alot of effort to move it.

C. I'm concerned that my VW type 1/3 pedals, the clutch pedal/hook do not travel enough to activate my master cylinder fully.

My setup does kind of work but I'm reluctant too... although I will try adjusting it... keep on working on it as I'm starting to doubt that it'll work.

Has anybody else converted their 915 to hydraulic clutch set up, also how they sorted their vw clutch to work a hydraulic master cylinder.

Oh its a RHD type 3 by the way.

I only have this clutch to sort, bleed the brakes, a couple of more snaggs to sort out then I'm back on the road.

Thanks