GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Brakes

Old January 25th 2010, 14:37

Evil,

Nice one , and I also go flak from a fellow college.. Can't wait till he sees what I am doing with some brackets.
VR
Alex
Tele: 973 204-5463
Old January 25th 2010, 20:56

alex,
compared to your arms, mine are filthy... they might look a bit shiny but they've just been wire brushed...
How did you get yours so clean?
Old January 25th 2010, 23:33

Jmd,

First I will admit, only one has been cleaned.

Secondly, the process I took was as follows:
1- Clean with a wire brush, and some steal wool, with a lot of simple green/or purple degreaser.
2- after that I took some Goodyear, alum and metal cleaner to finish cleaning.. this removed a lot of the left over residue.
3- after all clean, and took the mothers mini polishing ball, and mothers alum polish.. did not spend to much time, but just enough to get an idea of what it would look like..

Hope that helps.. like evil said, looks like like I am spending to much time polishing..
Alex
Old February 14th 2010, 00:01

Need some help with caliper bolt spacers (4 pots)

Was mocking up the calipers, 4 piston brembo (944S) with the wide alum arms and disks.

The question I have is regarding shimming the caliper to ensure they are centered on the disk.

When I test fitted, the caliper rubbed without any washers.. seems to require two per bolt?

Anyone have any insight.. I checked the Porsche PET files regarding.. and after careful examination, I noted that the caliper bolts require a spring washer, and a spacer.. anyone know how many per bolt..

Again from my mocking up seems like two per?

Thanks
Alex

If pictures would help I will try to dig up my backup camera as the wife is on a trip with family and she took our primary..
Old February 15th 2010, 04:54

Firstly, are you using the correct disc (rotor)? The turbo/non-turbo have different diameters, thickness and off set. If all is correct then shim them to suit. On our fitment of the 928S 4 pot calipers onto standard 944 discs i had to make a 4mm shim to centre the caliper. I also used plain washers on the bolts with thread lock as I didn't like the idea of spring washers onto the caliper lugs. Hope that helps.

Clive
Old February 17th 2010, 05:00

Sorry for posting it here, but can front 944 Turbo 4-pot caliper be used on the back without problems, or You have to make shims?

Are they same offset? I want to buy front set to put them on the rear but not sure they will fit...

Thanks!
Old February 17th 2010, 08:22

Alex very good looking arms over there but have you thought to powdercoat them?
Old February 17th 2010, 08:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX67 View Post
Sorry for posting it here, but can front 944 Turbo 4-pot caliper be used on the back without problems, or You have to make shims?

Are they same offset? I want to buy front set to put them on the rear but not sure they will fit...

Thanks!
IIRC the major problem is the bolt centres are different so that you would need adapters and if you need adapters then sorting the offset would not be a problem.

Clive
Old February 17th 2010, 23:48

@Jim, thought about it, but $$ is a little low with two little ones, and life in general. Plus I am not looking for a show car.. Want it nice, but not exotic.. Shooting for 8/10. I think to go the extra mile would be worth it, but not necessary.. But like everything, I need to put $$ towards where it will have the highest ROI, buffing and cleaning essentially cost me $0.00. Again, would be nice, but I can live with it this way..

@Evil, made sense. I also linked up with a buddy and he showed me the spacer that I needed, he gave me one, I need to dig through a box of 944 stuff and see if he has any others.. I may just go with the spacers.. not to much $$...

Here are some pics, of the other arm, I have to do some homework for school, and a house project, so when I get some time this weekend I will start here.. Enjoy.
1) The other arm

2) Here is the 80% solution- Still waiting on my 944S hardlines, and shims to finish this part of the arm.

3) Pic of the Shim, about the size of two stacked M12 washers.

4) Here is where the shim goes between the backing plate and the caliper

Besides this been sandblasting clean the spring plates.. had them primed and started painting when I realized that I should have undone the two bolts on the spring plate to ensure 1) I can adjust the ride height bolt, and 2) I need to check 944 spring plate to torsion bar clearance.. (Little tough as the NE has been hit with some cold weather and snow)..

I bought some 50mm by 2mm shims that I will use to space out the spring plate, they are in the mail, so that will be the next area to tackle..

Then I got some nice torsion bar/spring plates from the other side of the pond.. 3-letters GWD which use a delrin like sleave which I need to trial fit and open up a little to fit snug onto the outboard side of the spring plate..

Ok gotta run, more pics to come as time is available..
VR
Alex
Old February 17th 2010, 23:51

Almost forgot, finished cleaning up some pads with some 80 grit, so that they have a nice matting surface.. the pads that came with these had a lot of life but needed to get freshened up specially since they are mating to a new set of zimmerman rotors.. (which I will say are nice, compared to other companies that I have used..)
VR
Alex
Old February 18th 2010, 04:48

Alex,
I prefer to use Zimmerman rotors, they are a good buy. One thing to watch is that they have a tendency to rust fairly quickly that is of no concern when they are in contant use but if is likely to be a little while before you are on the road I would leave the pads out and lightly grease/oil them until you are ready to use them.
The propensity to rust is a mark of the quality of the metal and the inherent quality of the braking performance. (if it don't rust it ain't no good)

Clive
Old February 18th 2010, 05:17

Sure Alex keep the cost low doesn't mean it's not good and shiny!!
Old February 18th 2010, 23:01

Jim.. thanks.

Got home tonight and found a bag from the shim vendor.. so figured I would take some pics, and get some feedback on the idea..

The company I used is called Mc Master's http://www.mcmaster.com (NJ location)

Pics of the shims, 2" ID, by 3" OD, and about 2mm thickness

Here is the spring plate, after sandblasting I realized that I should have loosened the two bolts, so I did not finish painting.

With 2 shims, you are about 4mm, with 3 shims you get 6mm, which is what the bolts height is. I will have to trial fit when the weather gets better and see how many it will take. May need to get longer bolts, but will see later on.

Here are my spring plate/torsion bar covers.

Need to open up the bushing sleave to fit tightly, as of right now, its ID is to small

Let me know what you think. The shims are low carbon steal. I tried to find higher carbon, but was not available, as well as other materials.
VR
ALex

Last edited by Bug@5speed(US); February 18th 2010 at 23:07.
Old February 19th 2010, 09:02

Hi Alex,

I shimmed our spring plate with 5mm PVC sheet to add a little lubrication to the system as I was concerned about steel on steel rusting. I will continue to check the durability of the shims that I can measure between the camber adjuster head and the forged damper mounting arm. At the moment it is 1mm IIRC. If my shims are not durable I will take a leaf out of your book and cut some out of 5mm sheet steel.

Clive
Old February 19th 2010, 11:07

Clive,

Thanks for the feedback.. I was a little concerned about the elements.. I was thinking of a couple of options, if this works..
1) Simple zinc based primer/then paint them.
2) Since I need to make a run to the platers later in the spring to get some hardward plated, may take the shims and get them cadium/zinc coated.
3) Keep a good amount of copper or petrolium based lube on them.. if I do this, then maybe tack them to the spring plate so?? but unsure about this.
4) I have plenty of shims, so don't drive in the rain or snow, and if I do keep them on hand.

Food for thought,
VR
Alex