GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Engines

Old November 2nd 2013, 22:00

Wasser with type 1 fan for intercooler?

So many have seen the talkshop thread with the wasser fitted with a center mount fan and radiator right on top the case. It's interesting to say the least.
I was thinking maybe this could be useful to me. A normal offset fan on normal type 1 perch and alternator Sucking through a 12x14 intercooler.
I was thinking to mount my turbo ontop on my gearbox and with the fan and intercooler in the place of the type one components the layman might not see that my car is anything more than a old Vw.
You follow? I was thinking to use a 5.25" pully on the crank and a 4.9" alternator pully to get the fan speed down...yes, I have a big battery.
http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewto...?f=37&t=130150
Old November 5th 2013, 01:54

Hello,
I personally do not think it is a good solution. If an air/air intercooler is what you want, it would be most effective when fresh air streams through the cooler from the outside of the vehicle.
A fan and shroud in the engine compartment where under the hood temperature is much higher than ambient outside temperature, can't be as effective as a conventional mounted intercooler.
If space is an issue, then a watercooled intercooler will give you more options and can be mounted just about anywhere and is the most effective intercooler.
Old November 5th 2013, 21:39

You make a very good point about engine compartment temps. My car isn't actually a type 1... It's an Amante gt. The pan and body have a little different shape. I had though about some minor ducting to draw from under the car in front of the engine and then out across the turbo if I mounted it at the rear of the engine level with the crank but 10lbs behind the axle is much like 100lbs in front of it. On top the gearbox is better for my wieght considerations but terrible for the under hood temps.
You make a very good point, I must give this more thought.
I had also considered mounting it high as the lid has a small opening allready but without a fan it would have very little flow. Air to water is an option but these parts are heavy and as I allready have plumbing for the engine cooling adds another layer of complexity that I don't want if at all possible.
Not really a VW but I come here because them knowledge base is very good. There are craftsman here.
Old November 8th 2013, 05:26

Cool car! I haven't seen one of those before. It looks to me as if you have even less space than in a bug, because the rear body slopes down more. You could mount an air/air intercooler similar to a subaru sti and have the intetcooler flush with the rear decklid.The decklid would have an opening. You could install ducts from under the car feeding the intercooler and the hot air would escape through the opening in the decklid. I think that would be more complicated and would make maintenance and access to the motor harder also. An watercooled intercooler will be around 15-20 pounds heavier but would be easier and have more effective cooling. I also have a watercooled intercooler with its own cooling circuit including a seperate small aluminum cooler to cool the water
Old November 14th 2013, 17:17

I think your idea is worth investigating - even with the considerations 70Turbobug has mentioned
'76 fuel injected Cabriolet
..and a good ol' Aussie V8