GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Transmissions

Old December 22nd 2005, 21:02

Bugat5speed

I would just like to point out that Martins gear is fantastic. I will post a few pics of my conversion using is parts tomorrow. I have to replace the front mount with Martins bar as the tranny was solid mounted at the front but it is way to noisy for my girly ears and i want to get the missus and nipper to go in the car with me.
Anyway thanks Martin for the gear and will be getting that sortened oil pan from you next year.
peace out and Merry Christmas everyone

Cormac Farrell
Old December 22nd 2005, 22:43

Shortened oil pan??? Does this imply Scooby Power..

Please post pics please.. I am about to get some items this week.. just waiting to straighten out one detail.. and receive the famous PDF file (invoice)

Where are you from?
Alex
Old December 30th 2005, 18:07

hi LOAF
sorry for not replying sooner. the weather is terrible at the moment in Wicklow, Eire, so as soon as it clears i can take pics of the parts. the only thing is that i have to put the cross bar on as they guys who did it for me did not realise that they had to cut a hole on the bottom of the chassis and they used the existing hole which means he gearbox front is elevated and i am sure it is not a good idea as the porsche box has less oil than a bug box and i dont want to get it wrecked. So a bit of fabrication is needed on the shift lever also. i am going to get a local metal fabricator to do it as they are fantastic and made up a set of seat mounts for me before and tey fit exactly as i wanted them.
The gearbo is soid mounted at the moment and is so damn noisy i dont want to drive it so with the Bugat5speed bar and some urethane mounts on the rear it should be sweet i have already started with the dynamat to make it extra quiet. So ill have the pics up hopefully in the morning.
Later
Old December 31st 2005, 02:59

Hi Cormac

Off topic, are in Wicklow in Ireland? We visited that area in October, stayed near Shillelagh.

Steve
Old December 31st 2005, 08:49

Hey Steve
in fact it is, I am just one mile from Glendalough in Laragh. Thats a shame i didnt know, you could have dropped by for a while and compared notes.
Heres a pic of the gearbox the clearest pics I have so far.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Img00058.jpg (37.8 KB, 109 views)
File Type: jpg Img00059.jpg (40.7 KB, 88 views)
File Type: jpg Img00060.jpg (34.5 KB, 80 views)
File Type: jpg Img00063.jpg (37.1 KB, 81 views)
Old January 2nd 2006, 09:17

Hi Cormac

Maybe next time we come over we will have to catch up. I didnt see very many VWs over there, I guess the rust gets the old ones.

Steve
Old January 4th 2006, 02:02

Cormac is Martin conversion parts for the 915 box truely a bolt in or do you have to do some cutting.
Old January 4th 2006, 06:57
skywalker

The experiments I have with the parts of Martin are very good.
I used some parts from bugat5speed for a 914 gearbox in my split-bus.

A spilt bus is not exact the same as a beetle, but it can be compared (I own a 1303S too).
One mayor different is the thickness of the torsion tube. Mayor in this case, because the problem of
moving the gearbox up to the front becomes even more difficult, without cutting the torsion tube.

An other problem of installing a 914 gearbox in the ‘bridge’ between the chassis at the rear of a bus,
because a 914 (901 / 915) gearbox is higher and lower as a beetle gearbox.

Here is what I did:

First I drilled the holes into the 914 gearbox. On the left a beetle IRS gearbox, on the right the 914 gearbox.

To make the rubbers fit flat on the house of the gearbox I also flattened the gearbox

picture of housing 1
picture of housing 2

I cut off the mounting points of the original gearbox. The ‘bridge’ had to be cut for fitting the gearbox (no issue at a beetle).
Some welding and it looks standard.

cutting 1
cutting 2

Between the traverse and the nose cone from bugat5speed I made a 1 cm (0.39 inch) thick metal plate with extra rubber
to lift the gearbox at front so it comes straighter.

bugat5speed parts

Fitting:
fitting 1
fitting 2
fitting 3
fitting 4
fitting 5

The modification on the axle flanges to fit six bolts:

axle flanges 1
axle flanges 2
axle flanges 3

At the moment ready for final fit so I can measure the needed driving axels.

gearbox

The 914 gearbox will come 1.5 cm (0.59 inch) more backwards as a original gearbox. In a beetle my 914 gearbox will fit the original place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad bug
Is Martin conversion parts for the 915 box truely a bolt in or do you have to do some cutting.
As far as I can judge and compare my spilt-bus with my 1303 I say yes, bolt in, no cutting.
But (there’s always a but) you have to make some changes to the gearbox and if you do not want to buy axle flanges,
to the axle flanges and the driving axles.

The parts of bugat5speed are of very good quality I believe. The parts make it a lot easier to make a good fit of a
Porsche 5 speed gearbox into a beetle or bus.

Martin was always helpful answering my questions, before and after purchase. Martin, thanks for that!

Luuk

Last edited by skywalker; June 14th 2007 at 16:12.
Old January 4th 2006, 09:50

excellent job i really need to get a good camera.
you definitely need to cut off the front mounts from the beetle chassis and you need to cut open a small hole under the torsion bar for the shifter to connect to the selector rod. this is where you need to get a rod fabricated from the old high position to the new lower position of the gearbox.
and there will also be some clearancing of the framehorns which is just grinding off a little off the inside
cheers