GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Brakes

Old April 16th 2006, 18:47

Talking 944 4-Pots onto Beetle hub or Porsche hub?

Been a while so Hi to everyone

Picture this,

I finally have a set of front 944 turbo discs(75mm depth) and 4-pot calipers(black). To fit them I have a set of machined down beetle front brake drums that fit the inner face of the Porsche disc acting as a hub to mount the disc to, with only a 6mm track increase per side. Seems simple enough but...

Can anyone tell me where I get a set of bearing spacers to fit the early 944 front hubs to my disc braked beetle spindles? It would just seem to be easier to fit a studed Porsche hub than to mess around with a regular beetle hub.

Also, having read a few websites, just what is 'spot-facing' on the front spindle for a caliper mount and how do I do this?

All replies welcome as i'm finally getting there!
Old April 16th 2006, 22:47

Hello seanmc. My suggestion on the hubs would be to contact Lanner at www.vdubengineering.com . As for "spot-facing" that is used when the surface of the material you are drilling through is not square with hole you drilled. All you do is use a endmill bit, or counterbore bit with a pilot installed thats the same size as the hole you drilled. The endmill or counterbore bit should be the size of the washer and bolt you'll use, or a little bigger. This can be done with a drill press or milling machine as long as the part you are drilling is very secure while drilling. After you drill your hole don't move anything, and replace the drill bit with the endmill, or counterbore and "spot-face" to the depth needed to have enough surface area for the bolt and washer to sit flat (square) with the hole . If you have enough thickness on the material you can bore deeper and allow your bolts to sit flush with top of the surface.

1962 SC 1776cc SP 944NA brakes, 993 wheels

VKG
Old April 18th 2006, 14:58

Why not just get a Porsche pattern beetle disc and machine that down, it would be the easiest way, you could also machine a bit of the face down to minimise track increase as the aftermarket disc centres are much thicker.

As already stated, spot facing is just cleaning up a face and making sure it is perpendicular to the axle, as the back of the spindle is normally in a raw as cast state that you couldn't bolt up to.

Rich
Old April 18th 2006, 16:07

Figured that spot facing thing out, thanks wrenchnride247 and ricola.

ricola, you probably remember me as the guy who bought that 19mm front bar from you a while back...

Anyhows I have a 6ft drill press and is it fab or what? Then again if you think VW's are an expensive hobby you should try industrial tooling!

Regarding spacers Ricola, could you have another set machined up do you think?
Old April 19th 2006, 05:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanmc
Regarding spacers Ricola, could you have another set machined up do you think?
Sorry, it was a big favour for me... I find it hard enough getting stuff done too. You should get it all done by the same person so the tolerance fits are correct.

Rich