GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Transmissions

Old May 13th 2009, 17:31

The need to convert to a hydraulic clutch gave me the excuse to splash out on this pedal box...

I'm going to try and fit the pedals less offset than original and will also sink them to the bottom of the chassis tubes so the new floor won't change too much, while covering the master cylinders.
Old May 14th 2009, 05:00

Rich,

I presume those are push cylinders? Whose pedal box is it? Whats the lever ratio? Have you got a remote balance bar adjuster?

On mine I have lifted the floor in front of the original pedal cluster and found the ergonomics infinitely better. The void created is about 50mm so as to accommodate the (pull) m/cs in the future. I can't emphasize how much better raising the floor is. I have always thought that the bug pedals were too high and prevented fine and proper control hence the reason I tried it.
Old May 14th 2009, 06:42

Yes, they are push, the pedal box is from OBP
http://www2.obp.uk.net/catalog/produ...8ba398ceda884a
5:1 ratio, takes remote adjuster.

For the gains involved from pull cylinders I don't think they would make an appreciable real world difference. Technically I admit the sideloading should be less, but then more complicated to make with more sealing which may bring the resistance back up to push cylinder levels.

As for position, I've got big feet so ergonomically they will be fine for me and I am building it for me, not an ergonomic standard. Do you have small feet? The floor will be slightly raised to accomodate the cylinders, I am using the lowest floor position as a base (40mm lower than stock floor height) and the cylinders need 70mm so there will be a 30mm raise, but then the pedals are about that much taller than stock so floor to pedal height will not change.
Old May 14th 2009, 07:51

Nice units!

The reason for asking about the pull/push cylinders is that in the configuration shown the push cylinders will be below the fulcrum point whereas they are above the fulcrum on pull cylinders. The main difference will be the o/a height and I guess that the difference between the two systems would be ~ 100-120mm(?)

As regards my shoe size I still have trouble find glass slippers that fit! lol. But I confirm that they are just below the average. I've always found that with VW bugs I've always had to lift my feet off the floor to operate the pedals with the ball of my foot - that doesn't happen on any other car I have driven that mostly were pendant pedal boxes. The idea for raising the floor came from looking at a few of the car club's rally cars where even with standard pedal boxes the drivers have raised the floor by usually 50mm to give (so they say) a more positive feel on the pedal. I tried it on the bug and found that the pedal pads were just at the right height so that my heel didn't lift off the floor and the leg position from the standard seat height was much more comfortable and 'modern'. With the raised foot the arc of travel for the standard pedal was just right also.

With the raised floor I also took the opportunity to add an additional 50mm tall crossmember from the tunnel to the heater channel that ought to add a bit more torsional stiffness to the chassis/floor pan - I don't know how much but as I had to put something across to support the raised floor I tried to make the design do other duties as well.
Old May 14th 2009, 22:51

Hi Rich

The pedal box looks interesting, are the pedal pads closer to the driver? I'm 6' 1" tall and I couldn't have the pedals any closer to the driver than they are now.

Off subject but something to do with ergonomics, I found on my old 1302 with Recaro seats, that I always had poor clutch control, as in the last bit of travel. It was like my knee joint didn't work properly at a certain angle. I always blamed this on my heavy clutch.

I then fitted the same seats and runners temporarily to another bug for a road trip, had the same problem with the clutch control.

I have different seats in my daily 1303 from a Honda with no clutch control issues, when I get my other WRX 1303 going it will have these same Recaros from the old 1302, I will need to do serious looking at the two seating positions.

Steve
Old May 14th 2009, 23:00

Hi

I forgot to mention this regarding your pedals. A local V8 touring car builder and driver Larry Perkins with VW connections always made the pedals in the race cars floor pivot, just like a VW.

He felt that this way the drivers ankles would be less fatigued because they move in a natural motion.

Steve
Old May 15th 2009, 04:43

I've used the old pedal position as a starting point and like you I'm 6'1" so don't want them further back than stock. As you see them in the pics they are in stock position, but I will try to move them forwards a bit more and also more central to the driver. The heater channel and throttle pedal will be my limiting factors.

The whole reason I am doing the pedals now is to help me define the seat position so know where you are coming from, I may even relocate the steering wheel to be more central too... Agree with floor hinged pedals too, I've never understood why a lot of people find them strange, just what you get used to I suppose.

Bit more progress last night:

Old May 15th 2009, 16:54

Great work.
its nice to see the fine details on your chassis.
To say your a skilled builder would be a dramatic understatement.
Old May 17th 2009, 14:00

Did a bit more:

5mm thick strips welded in to mount the pedal box too and I also reshaped the front section to enable the pedals to sit more centrally.

Old May 17th 2009, 15:26

Nice fabrication! I see you have the body on it again as well
Old May 17th 2009, 15:29

The body is on and off all the time at the moment, once a day is average! It's very easy when it's this stripped down/light, trolley jack at each end and a couple of bolts at front/back and it's enough to hold it all together...
Old May 17th 2009, 16:43

nice work and those are some great looking welds

Chris.
07 Chevy 3500 Dually
Old October 23rd 2009, 14:30

My cab came back to earth for the first time in a long time on its new rims, 19" Carrera sports, 8,5J on the front and 10J for the rear..

Old October 24th 2009, 07:49

soooooo much nicer than the typical cups/2/3s etc
Old October 25th 2009, 07:37

wow, love the seat, and the wheels