GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Engines

Old July 9th 2013, 02:25

What is the beast type 1 cam gears and dry sump pump please?

I see there are many options for straight cut cam gears, Bug pac, Empi, CB performance, magnum, CE, and probably tonne chinesse ones... Also there are many dry sump pumps around, which ones are the best? , which ones are best value for money and the most reliable, last parts needed for my brand new type 1 race engine. Cheers Brent

Last edited by brent; July 9th 2013 at 16:12.
Old July 9th 2013, 03:44
Administrator

Hi Brent,

I think we probably need more information about your engine size and goals before making any recommendations. "Best" is a relative term. I needed a drysump pump that would work for rally (many long hours at 5,000rpm or higher), used -8an fittings and work with a stock pickup as I wanted nothing hanging lower on my engine then the factory oil sump plate. Those needs are different from what someone might need for a drag racing engine, for example.

Give us a little more info, and there are quite a few helpful members here.

-Dave
'68 Type 1 - Interm German 'look' project
'75 Type 1 - Family Heirloom
'93 Chevy 3500 pickup - Cummins Swap
Old July 9th 2013, 04:01

Ok.

Origianl ARPM race case. 86mm crank, 5.6 inch rods, 94mm wiesco pistons, superflow ported heads, 48 idas, 2" primary custom exhaust, heads been bench flowed at 250 hp. Everything is new. I have a pump and gears at present from my previous engine, they may be Cb or bugpack unsure. Oil tank will be moved as close to engine as posibble, oil cooler up front. Plan to run magna spark ignitian. Will be engine cut out at 7000 rpm, very fast well handling track car.

Last edited by brent; July 9th 2013 at 04:30.
Old July 9th 2013, 05:03

you dont have many options on the dry sump pump with imho the autocraft one being up there as one of the best. cam gears i run magnums and have had no trouble.
i have used most kinds in customer builds and the only ones i have had trouble with are the no name Taiwanese ones.
Old July 9th 2013, 16:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by judgie View Post
you dont have many options on the dry sump pump with imho the autocraft one being up there as one of the best. cam gears i run magnums and have had no trouble.
i have used most kinds in customer builds and the only ones i have had trouble with are the no name Taiwanese ones.
Oh, never heard of imho? and didnt think about auto craft. My new s/s exhaust has been built around the bugpac one so i hope the others are similar sizes? There was a picture and name of the ones all the german kafer cup cars used, but i could never find where they were sold and a price.
Old July 9th 2013, 16:21

Wally shows a picture of the german kafer cup pump in this link if anyone can tell me about it?

ta Brent

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewto...p?f=1&t=116962
Old July 10th 2013, 03:55

imho, In My Humble Opion
the pump walter shows is i think a thorsten piper[sp] pump same person that makes the tool steel type 1 lifters.
my pump is pretty much the same and is a true 3 stage pump and from what i know at least 15 years old. had to have a new drive shaft made for it when i broke it on the dyno
Old July 10th 2013, 07:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by judgie View Post
imho, In My Humble Opion
the pump walter shows is i think a thorsten piper[sp] pump same person that makes the tool steel type 1 lifters.
my pump is pretty much the same and is a true 3 stage pump and from what i know at least 15 years old. had to have a new drive shaft made for it when i broke it on the dyno
Thanks Judgie, ok well im leaning towards the autocraft one, seems easiest to obtain and they have a very good reputation. US dollars is better than Uk too. I have tried to search for the Kafer cup one and the website seems to be down. Regards Brent