GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Electrical

Old April 5th 2006, 03:10

Keyless Entry?

Are there any good kits out there? I don't need it to open my doors for me, but I would rather like to enter my car without using the keys all the time.
Old April 5th 2006, 09:41

Leave just the quarter windows unlocked Just kidding, sorry.
Old April 5th 2006, 11:41

I don't think I have seen a Type 1 specific keyless entry setup. There are tons of them on Ebay that are universal and require a custom install. I can't imagine it would be that hard to do.

Mike
Old April 5th 2006, 15:36

Komet,

I agree with Mike on this one. There are literally tons of keyless or remote entry systems on the market. Check with a local stereo place and they should have some recommendations. There are also a few good recommendations on some of the car audio sites on the internet where the installers post their opinions on the different systems.

I have also heard of alarm systems and remote entry systems in one package, which turn off the alarm and unlock the doors at the same time, which is really cool.

One other suggestion is to check the street rod sites, as these guys almost always pull the handles off the cars and need to use remote entry systems to get into them.

Best of luck,

Doug
Old April 6th 2006, 00:40

Komet,

Most mid to higher quality alarm kits will come with accomodations for keyless entry, you will just need to install power lock soleniods and wire up a relay for the locks. then just run the lock control wiring from the alarm control box to the relay.

post pics if you do this, so we can see how you mounted the solenoids.
Old April 6th 2006, 02:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by kleinporsche
Leave just the quarter windows unlocked Just kidding, sorry.
If only it were that easy! I have one piece windows!

I did some looking around, and thought that Auto-Loc's kits looked pretty nice. Now if only I didn't have to buy boring stuff like alternators and college books, I'd be hooking these bad boys up. Looks fairly painless to install. Can't be harder than wiring up the whole car . I think this will be a summer project!
Old April 6th 2006, 14:02

i was told it cant be done, well ti can but there are problems with it, dotn quote me on thsi but i was told because of the way the pillars are some people have had problems with the doors not always opening, but i thought about it and it could be perhaps that it needs a more heavy duty solinoid?

kris
Old April 7th 2006, 10:53

mini_kris,

I think the problem with the doors not opening properly is due to the fact that door poppers were not installed along with the remote operators. Most kits don't come with the door poppers, so my thinking is that they get forgotten about.

Some people have just used the weather seal to pop open the doors enough to get your fingers onto an edge and open the door. My thinking is that this would work well until your weather-stripping got a bit worn in and then may not work so well.

Anyway, just my $0.02...

Cheers,

Doug
Old April 10th 2006, 16:02

Here's mine

Here's mine - Door solenoids & remote control relay from Machine7 in UK. Bit of ally strip to mount it all and away you go! Outer door handles are nice & smooth with no keys...

Moog
'02 Passat Sport Diseasel Estate ("Das Boot")
'05 Seat Leon FR, chipped (Mrs Moog's toy really...)
Old April 11th 2006, 12:01

Moog

Those outside handles are SICK! I love it. I can just imagine some dude coming up and trying to figure out how open or unlock the doors.

Did you do the modifications yourself? The craftsmanship is really nice and smooth.

I love the stock appearance and it does away with the door poppers as well.

Cheers,

Doug
Old April 24th 2006, 20:28

as long as the lock plunger moves up and down easily you can get door lockes in there no problem, i had a 75 bug many many years ago (16 ouch) where the locks were difficult to move up and down to the point where aftermarket door locks wouldnt have worked.

Moogs car is the perfect example of how to install them, keep that rod straight as possible.

im thinking moog just put 2 passenger side door handels on his car, just a guess
Old April 25th 2006, 16:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribz
im thinking moog just put 2 passenger side door handels on his car, just a guess
Nope, sorry Ribz - passenger door handles still have a lock in them on from 1968...

They are really nice & smooth, although I don't think many people notice them, which is cool with me Remote control relay works really nicely - as Ribz says the trick is to make sure the lock mechanism is nice & slick, and the actuator rod is to be as straight as possible. The actuators i've used are Swiss made - not that expensive compared to some of the rubbish you can get.

Cheers

Moog
Old April 25th 2006, 20:42

ive done a ton of door locks over the years, probably close to 5-6000 (yes thousand =) and you would be suprised at the angles and bends you have to put on some, esp newer cars

well you have to admit it was a good guess about the handels, i did it on a honda and chevy truck along time ago, it works out well unless you have door lock failure, blown fuse for lock relays ect..
Old April 26th 2006, 15:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribz
well you have to admit it was a good guess about the handels, i did it on a honda and chevy truck along time ago, it works out well unless you have door lock failure, blown fuse for lock relays ect..
There's always a rock by the side of the road for such emergencies...

Actually, this is how i started going out with a girl many years back - complete power failure on her bug with her trapped inside. Even the interior handles had gone & worked off micro switches, electric windows stuck, etc. I cut out a rear side-window to release her, and she was very grateful...

Cheers

Moog