GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > German Look Tuning

Old April 28th 2006, 21:40

GL Notch

Well guys i found my GL project should be here in about a month or so. 62 notch body on a 73 IRS pan, doesnt work out much better than that its a bit scary buying a car off the net and only seeing pictures, hopefully all will work out well

Mike

Old April 28th 2006, 21:59

looks cool. Notch's rock!
'96 GMC Sierra Crew Cab 6.5L Diesel
'99 GMC Suburban 6.5L Diesel
VolkSport Kafer Gruppe
Old April 28th 2006, 22:39

i'd love to be able to get a notch or a square they are my faves.
Old April 29th 2006, 01:33

its a long time dream come true for me, ive always loved notchbacks

here are some bits ive picked up so far

plans include

G50 trans 5 or 6 speed
Suby EJ20t or tt
Links or motec EMS
full cage front to rear
993 front brakes
993 or 944 rear brakes
some type of digital dash
Fr and rear coil over setup
CF dash and center console
power windows and locks
stereo system

and much more im sure, planned date of completion, the day after i die
Old April 29th 2006, 02:05

Sweet, congrats dude. If you need help with the Subaru swap, there's a good thread going on in the engine section, I'm trying to get some more wiring info on it, but I just can't seem to find any yet.

Sounds like you've got a much clearer plan than I did when I first started. I had the Cup 2's bought before I even found a car. I ended up with a '64 Ghia sitting on a '74 pan with new uninstalled floor pans. Not as good as a notch, but I only paid $300 for the whole thing. It was also gutted, just a shell and pan. I'd love to have done a notch for my project, but you simply can't find a solid notch in my area for the $300 I paid for my Ghia.

Please keep us updated.
'64 Ghia - Project!!-Subaru EJ20T, MS/EDIS, 993 brakes, 914 Tranny...
Old April 29th 2006, 02:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribz
i found my GL project ... 62 notch body on a 73 IRS pan... its a bit scary buying a car off the net and only seeing pictures, hopefully all will work out well
Very cool!

I bought my 1302 indirectly through eBay although I did sneak a peak in person. I almost bought a Type 34 before that and may buy my daughter's car off the 'Net. Two weeks ago I sold my Westfalia to a couple in St. Louis.

I am sure things will work out fine. :agree: Heck, one gets surprises sometimes when buying a brand new car off the showroom floor.

Your plans look nice, too.
Old April 29th 2006, 03:05

thats funny i got my wheels first too, actually from Vujade, everything i have ive got great deals on. i picked up the notch for $1350 and hes going to deliver it for another $200. not bad concidering hes north of san francisco and im closer to palm springs than anything else, im very excited to say the least

i was looking at ghias too but they are very hard to come by for a decent price, ghias are sweet, that badger ghia is very inspiring :agree: the early body and late pan works out well, old style (i like) with a better perf. chassis. id also hate to cut up a perfectly good notch, not that i wouldnt bucause i would lol but this way i dont have to

Oasis ive been a subcontactor for car dealers for a long time so i know about some of the surprises thoes poor people get, mostly in the finance department haha

thanx guys, dont worry ill keep everyone updated complete with pics and all, not to mention a ton of questions

Mike
Old April 29th 2006, 14:26

nice project, a little advice if you might get an EJ20TT engine as opposed to an EJ20T . NEVER buy a TT without this part, it's where all the pressure solenoids are for the TT system to work and you will never be able to get it to run properly without it.

Old April 29th 2006, 15:52

thanks for the advise tom, ill keep that in mind. this type of info should go on the suby convert thread too.

Well i may have a little problem, hes telling me that the title he has is for the body and not the pan, as far i i know cars are reg'ed by the chassis and not the body..

looks like some good times with the DMV good thing i havent sent him the deposit yet

Mike
Old April 29th 2006, 17:15

Quote:
ive been a subcontactor for car dealers for a long time so i know about some of the surprises thoes poor people get, mostly in the finance department
Oh, I can imagine ... and I'm certain you have some stories to tell.

Quote:
hes telling me that the title he has is for the body and not the pan, as far i i know cars are reg'ed by the chassis and not the body....looks like some good times with the DMV
That's how most MexiBeetles get through to the states. Check with California (I notice you spell it with a "K" ), though. I used to not consider any car from Georgia because they don't have titles at all. That changed when one day I was at the DMV on other business and asked about titling a car that came without a title. Maryland's process isn't too bad; annoying but compared to other hoops they like to lay out for other things, not too bad at all. Perhaps you will find good luck ahead.
Old April 29th 2006, 19:25

Quote:
Well i may have a little problem, hes telling me that the title he has is for the body and not the pan, as far i i know cars are reg'ed by the chassis and not the body...
Mike
My '64 Ghia is titled as a '74 I just removed the tag on the body. Maybe you can take and stamp a peice of metal with the body's numbers and put it under the rear seat.
'64 Ghia - Project!!-Subaru EJ20T, MS/EDIS, 993 brakes, 914 Tranny...
Old April 30th 2006, 03:04

I know this is not EXACTLY along the same line... We just received a cabriolet at work that needs work, and a seperate chassis(no floor pans and rotted to hell on the 'head' of the chassis. So basically it's getting chopped into useful bits and the rest is going to the dump). The owner asked to cut out the piece on the chassis where the numbers are stamped(close to the back of the center channel), so that he can cut out the same place on the other chassis he has got and re-weld this one in it's place. Why is he doing that? Well, I guess it is to keep the car and papers 'legit', and register the car as the same year/model etc etc....