GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Body

Old October 9th 2006, 13:54

water proofing my floor pans. HELP!

OK...I don't want to go through the trouble of rplcing my pans. they are in good shape and are rust free. The only problem is the louse who put them in (years ago) did a bad job (I think he cut the metal off the front section ??)
It is a 1303. basicly it is leaking from the seams and i need to find a good material to use to seal the seams from water....

Any suggestions on what is KNOWN to work?
I've heard everything from JB WEld to silicon rtv...I need something permanent and good and something that has been proven to work. Not speculation...No offense. JB Weld definitley sounds permanent enough.

So? Any experience with this?
Old October 9th 2006, 18:11

Minnesota Mining and Manufacturing Makes a two part structural adhesive that makes a pliable, and very weather resistant sealer.

The 3M part number is 051135 08101. It's usually available at better auto parts stores.
'83 928S 4.7
Old October 9th 2006, 22:52

i would sugest using winshield urethane glue. the urethane is flexible easy to cut apart later and will definately stop the water.
Old October 10th 2006, 00:13

Well .... this may sound crazy but whats wrong with automotive seam sealer?
I used a paintable urethane seam sealer on mine. Then a paintable rubberised undercoat top and bottom.
Old October 10th 2006, 01:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullyboy View Post
Well .... this may sound crazy but whats wrong with automotive seam sealer?
I used a paintable urethane seam sealer on mine. Then a paintable rubberised undercoat top and bottom.
I agree! Seam Sealer would work great. I mean, that's what the auto makers use. I've used it on my pans after welding them in. Works great!:agree:

The next one I do a body-off on, I think I'm gonna have the top and bottom side of the pan "Rhino Liner"-ed. As well as the inner fenders, heater channels, engine compartment and spare tire area. I thought I saw a Super Beetle Vert on here that had it done. My best guess is, pricey as it may be, you'd NEVER have to worry about rust again!
Old October 11th 2006, 14:28

Rhino liner

I know a guy who did that actually. It wasn't as expensive as you'd think.
At least that's what he told me. I guess it depends on what our idea of expensive is...My bar is pretty low. Anyway..yeah its been done and I guess successfully...I will definetly try that window stuff...Last tube I bought was like $20.00 US....
Old October 11th 2006, 15:16

ccain529,

I have thought of using the spray on box liner stuff, but I was concerned about adding thickness to the pan. The underside is one thing, as nothing gets bolted to it, but inside you have break lines, e-brake, shifters, inspection plates, peddle assemblies, seat tracks, and a hose of other stuff that attaches to the pan.

Every hole, bend tab, seating surface, etc... would have to be cleaned in order for things to fit properly.

Doug
Old October 11th 2006, 20:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doogie S View Post
ccain529,

I have thought of using the spray on box liner stuff, but I was concerned about adding thickness to the pan. The underside is one thing, as nothing gets bolted to it, but inside you have break lines, e-brake, shifters, inspection plates, peddle assemblies, seat tracks, and a hose of other stuff that attachés to the pan.

Every hole, bend tab, seating surface, etc... would have to be cleaned in order for things to fit properly.

Doug
Eh...who actually hooks that stuff up?!
Just joking....Yeah, after some though, I guess it would interfere with some stuff...but figuring it out would be fun!

On another note, today I was talking with a buddy of mine about this same thing. He had his chassis powder coated. He said it was a bit pricey, but no more than having to replace any rusted metal down the road.
Old October 13th 2006, 15:58

ccain529

Powdercoating is the way to go, especially if you are doing a keeper. ( I know, they are all keepers...)

However, from what I understand the pan must be super clean. No seam sealer, no rust, no nothing, just a bare (litterally) pan. Prepare to spend some quality time in your garage, just you and your wire wheel... You will most likely get powdercoating in all the bolt holes, so you'll have to run a tap through to clean them out, but no more than if you had painted the pan.

The other thing is to see if you're local powdercoater has a oven big enough to fit the pan in. Some do, some don't, you're might...

Doug