GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Engines

Old November 24th 2005, 10:33

I would be interested in a group buy also.

Ernie
Old November 24th 2005, 14:05

height of the flat oilsump

Hi guys,

sorry that I forgot to mention one of the most important features of my sump. The sump is 5 cm less in height as the original Subaru sump (although mine has fins underneath).

Have instructed my producer (milling machine) to finnish the next charge by week 51 (around Christmas time). I have 6 sumps which are not reserved. So if you are interested in collective orders you can manage it.
Would like to make packages with at least 3 up to 5 sumps in one unit. Offer you a discount of 25 Euro on each sump if a collective order is being placed. Price is then 230 Euro per sump plus freight.
Donīt mind to send single units also, but thatīs without discount and much on freight costs.

If you have further questions, please ask!

Cheers Martin
Old November 24th 2005, 22:39

hmm... If I understand this correctly. Martin is offering us a group buy but we have to order them in 1 package? say ship all to Someone's house, then he'll divide them out? Also, wouldn't shipping go down the more we get in the "group"?

What about the oil pick up tube, would that have to be shortened too?

Just a few points I'm not very clear on...
'64 Ghia - Project!!-Subaru EJ20T, MS/EDIS, 993 brakes, 914 Tranny...
Old November 25th 2005, 04:46

freight costs oilsump

Hi guys,

the cost for freight for one package from 10 up to 20 kg to the US is 82 Euro. A package with 5 to 10 kg costs 52 Euro.

One oilsump weighs about a little more than 5 kg. So you can only put 1 sump in the small package which costs 52 Euro.
But you can put 3 in one big package up to 20 kg which will cost 82 Euro. This means that the freight costs for one sump in a 3-pieces unit is 27,30 Euro. So itīs 25 Euro cheaper per sump as if you buy single. Donīt know what freight costs for a single unit in the US is, but I think that it must be much cheaper than 25 Euro. Here in Germany we pay between 5 and 7 Euro for such a package.

The oil pick up tube has indeed to be shortened, as the sump is 5 cm less in height than the original one. Itīs a quite easy job to do and I think everyone who is planning to do such a conversion will easily manage this.

So think it over and arrange group buy of each package with three sumps. That would be the cheapest way to get the sumps I think. I donīt mind sending single units with one sump inside, but itīs more expensive.

Cheers Martin
Old November 25th 2005, 09:43

Yes, the deal Martin proposes would ship 3 (or more) sumps to one persons house, who would then have to re-package and re-ship to the other two buyers.
A quick currency conversion, and splitting the 82 Euro 3 ways I get ~ $300 per sump (without the extra in-US shipping). At ~ 11lbs, shipping here is probably going to run about another $20-25 or so for each one sent from the original drop point. So the way I see it, the bloke who has to do all the logistics/handling/re-packaging and re-shipping gets his sump for 3 bills, the other two cough up another $25/per (or maybe a bit less?).

Looking at an individual sump - about $365 to your door. Either way it still looks like a lot of value for a very nice product.
I have to take a close look at my chassis and do a test fit of my EJ before I can say yea or nea. Not doing a VW conversion, my car has a mid-engine tube chassis which converges at the trans mounting face - need to see if there's room (below) for this sump.

Jeff
Old November 25th 2005, 19:55

I'll have to think about that. I know it's very good quality. but that's a lot of "cheddar" I still need a lot more for my car before I can drop this kind of money on a sump.
'64 Ghia - Project!!-Subaru EJ20T, MS/EDIS, 993 brakes, 914 Tranny...
Old December 4th 2005, 14:42

I would be interested in purchasing one of the sumps in a group buy. I would be willing to buy the three have them shipped to me and then once they arrive, you send me the money and they ship out. I am in Santa Fe now so shipping inside the US would be from 87505. Let me know if anyone else is interested, but please be serious about it.

Thanks,

Randy
Meyers Manx Signature #85 , 79 Convert