GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Engines

Old November 7th 2002, 14:23
Administrator

Question NACA style ducts ??

Hi all,

I'm starting to plan on where I'm going to put my oil cooler(s) for my bug. Remember, I'm going to be circuit track racing it on every second weekend, as well as driving it to and from work, but I store it during the winters....

Its a 914 2.0 into a beetle conversion, and I'm going to be using some type of Porsche shroud system to cool... which means no stock oil cooler...

I'm looking at some type of front spoiler (Kamei) or something from Carbon Joe and I understand that with a front spoiler, there will not be alot of airflow under the car.

So my question is this... I want to mount the oil cooler(s) under the rear parcel tray, over the tranny, with some fans and a thermostat. Do you think I should use NACA style ducts in the rear quarter windows (I can get the quarters made out of Lexan) to aid the cooling or not ? The ducts would have pipe extending to the coolers. Should I use one duct per cooler or is that too much ? I haven't decided on the capacity of the cooler yet...more research to do...

The ducts would add to the overall 'look' and be functional as well...or do you think the fans will be enough ?

What do you think ?

Sandeep
Old November 7th 2002, 14:40

Sandeep

thats what I plan on doing also (the NACA Ducts)
Probably just use one on the drivers side

'I drive way to fast to worry about cholesterol!'

'67 Sunroof Notchback * '68 FI Squareback
Old November 7th 2002, 18:07

I think one duct per cooler, I would think that a RX7 or one of the 96 plate Mesa type coolers would cool anything as long as it had air flow from the ducts or the cooler. I like the NACA duct idea for a track/street car. I have pop out 1/4 windows, maybe some flexable hose and I could still use them....
ken
Old November 7th 2002, 18:18
Administrator

Thumbs up

Ken,

The ducts are about $25 each from a local performance shop....they have a clear style and a black style to use with 3" hose. The hose is a flexible vinyl tubing that will not collapse so I don't see why you could not use it with your pop outs.

I'm not sure about making the cutout in glass, so I'll go with lexan quarter windows. The style I'm looking for is pop riveted to the quarter window.

Sandeep
Old November 8th 2002, 04:12

Arrow Some ideas

Hey, what about these options for the oil cooler:
First one: outside front apron (look at the pictures), note the scoops below the window
Second one: inside apron (search gallery for a black GL named Bugart)
What I do not know is how to route the lines through the pan.
Reading the magazine I learned it is Racimex. I went to their website, but I do not speak german, however, by watching the figures, I knew it is the site. I do not know if there is a way to get it from an American source, or if it is easier to get it directly from the manufacturer. Any idea?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg green machine.jpg (33.0 KB, 71 views)
Old November 8th 2002, 04:25

Here is the other picture showing the ducts. They go to the engine bay. The look nice
Attached Images
File Type: jpg green side.jpg (24.2 KB, 59 views)
Old November 8th 2002, 14:31
Administrator

Alfito,

Thanks for the pics. I've thought of those options but I don't want any lines exposed to the public....I don't want someone cutting them when I'm not looking !!

I've already got my car painted so the Remmele side ducts are out of the question....

Sandeep
Old November 8th 2002, 18:04

I'm also going to mount my oil cooler under my parcel tray. My heat exchanger for my air/liquid intercooler will be there also. They both will have fresh air. I was planning on taking in air from the wheelwell near the running board. I'm still researching it though. The cooler on the front of the green bug is nice, but the banjo fittings aren't the best for flow.

"If you are under control you're going too slow" - Parnelli Jones