GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Engines

Old June 15th 2006, 20:29

034 Efi

I imagine you are familar with the VWvortex (vwvortex.com)? The guys from 034 are very active in the 1.8t forums on the vortex. I have heard that the 034 customer support is excellent via the vortex and over the phone. I am helping a friend install 034 on his 1.8t Audi A4 this week. Which 034 unit are you using? Let us know how you like the EFI.

I love you project by the way. I'm sure the 1.8t forums would love to see some of the pictures you have posted here. Keep up the good work!!!
Old June 16th 2006, 00:45

Thanks Levi! I havn't actually had a chance to get the engine running yet, but I have no doubt Javad will help me any way he can. Keep me posted on how your project comes. I got the IIc setup.

Jason
1st Drag Run

Dyno Run
Oval Ragster-'57 Rag/'04 Boxster S
Old August 17th 2006, 11:52

aircooled.net sells Morse cables. That is what you want.

rad project! I am installing a Redline R882C ECU on my project which has specs like the stage IIC from Javad.
Old August 17th 2006, 13:37

Thanks Steve, the Lokar guys were really not in the same catagory. It was all street rod stuff, and I suspect the Morse stuff is what I want. No progress at all lately, except for slow movement with the front brakes. Epoxy is down on the garage floor, so this weekend everything will be piled back in and I can start to organize. It sucks not knowing where anything is!

Jason
1st Drag Run

Dyno Run
Old August 17th 2006, 17:40

Epoxy floors! Dayum! Must be nice to have the fancy workshop.

BTW, I'm running a morse for my throttle, tons of diff little ends and brackets avail and lengths up to 14ft.

Jeff-
VKG Bastage child
Old August 17th 2006, 18:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panelfantastic
Epoxy floors! Dayum! Must be nice to have the fancy workshop.

BTW, I'm running a morse for my throttle, tons of diff little ends and brackets avail and lengths up to 14ft.

Jeff-
Well why didn't you just say so! Are you trying to empty my wallet! Lokar...

I'm not THAT high maintanence you know!

Jason
1st Drag Run

Dyno Run
Old December 28th 2006, 13:58

just finished reading the majority of this post and found several items interesting.
1) what are teh advantages to the double wishbone that you expect to get that a SB front end would not be able to provide.
2) i like the idea of the mid mount engine. how is that going (slow but sure by the looks of the thread) and when will you be able to road test it. based on what i see here, there are quite a few of us waiting to see what you come up with.

waiting for more pics as time affords.
Old December 28th 2006, 21:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by poor boy View Post
just finished reading the majority of this post and found several items interesting.
1) what are teh advantages to the double wishbone that you expect to get that a SB front end would not be able to provide.
2) i like the idea of the mid mount engine. how is that going (slow but sure by the looks of the thread) and when will you be able to road test it. based on what i see here, there are quite a few of us waiting to see what you come up with.

waiting for more pics as time affords.
1) A Mac strut as featured on a SB must be pre-set to include a constant amount of camber that does not change as the wheel travels through bump, while a double wishbone has a preset camber curve designed into the geometry that increases the negative camber as the wheel travels in bump. The advantage is that there is negative camber added as you need it, not a constant camber that increases inner tire wear. If you putz around town, you'll never really need the benefit of extra negative camber, but if you do more aggresive driving, negative camber in corners is very important to maintain a good tire contact with the road surface.

2) No progress has been made on it for the past many months, I've moved, and the garage that the project now resides in was crammed full from the move. Now it's getting more organized, and I've got power to it, so I expect to start moving on it again in the next couple of weeks. That being said, there is never a ETA on this sort of project, as one thing always leads to another, but I do hope to have the engine running in the next 3 months, with slow trials after that. I have to make sure that the motor cools properly first, then that things aren't falling apart, then that the whole thing is safe(relative here, this is an old VW!), then the speeds come up, then the packaging starts(windows back in, NACA ducts), make sure cooling is still good, then handling(spring rate, shock adjustment, swaybar adjustment and aerodynamics at high speed), then look at durability(CV joints, tranny), then make it look pretty, then, then, then.

This is a lifetime project for me, I've owned this car since I was 15, I'm 34 now, and I expect to be working on it in some form or another pretty much for the rest of my life, so I don't really get too rushed!

Next pics will be of brake system, cooling system, and fuel system complete, I'll post 'em as I get 'em!

Jason
1st Drag Run

Dyno Run
Old September 26th 2007, 20:08

Finally back on the engine, just finished the brakes Monday, so cooling and fuel are next. Should have a new wiring harness for the 034 EFI built by Christian Miller done in a couple weeks, then we'll see if she starts up. Progress reports will be coming in more often than half-year intervals now!

Jason
1st Drag Run

Dyno Run
Old September 27th 2007, 17:21

"if" she starts?!?
VKG Bastage child
Old September 27th 2007, 17:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panelfantastic View Post
"if" she starts?!?

Wow, not too much support from the "southern" crowd!!!! She'll start, one way or another. I guess the map that is set up in the IIc will get me going then I'll get it down to 034s shop and let them loose on the dyno.

I'm itchin' to get back home now, I've got the fire back in me again, and its not from the SoCal mexican food!

Jason
1st Drag Run

Dyno Run
Old September 27th 2007, 22:43

I think he meant "If? she starts.. more like WHEN it starts!"
Old September 28th 2007, 10:08

You're right Scott. I forgot how "sensitive" Dent can be...
I predict it fires at the first bump! Jason has great eye for following up the details and those 034 guys have a really strong rep... perfect combo for a worry free initial start.

Jeff-
VKG Bastage child
Old October 12th 2007, 19:46

What is the common way to hook up the thermoswitch for the radiator fans? I'm thinking at the inlet of the engine, so regardless, the fans are operating to keep the entering water at the right temp. I'll be able to set the fan start temp for whatever I want, so that's not really an issue.

Pretty much done with the fuel system now. Just need to get a couple of things cleaned up and then wiring for the fuel pump.

I need to pull the motor again, I found out I'm missing a couple of bits that hold the throwout arm in place, not so good, so I'll get the motor yanked and hopefully that will be the last time till I take it apart for the final clean up and beautifying!!! Yes, AFTER it IS running!!!

Jason
1st Drag Run

Dyno Run
Old October 12th 2007, 21:43

Hi

Does your ECU have a fan control wire. If not I used a probe from http://www.daviescraig.com.au on my top radiator hose. If you go for an adjustable probe like I did, don't set the temperature too low.

Steve