GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > German Look Tuning

Old February 8th 2010, 08:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim View Post
Even Toyota makes a deal with Subaru for the production of FT-86 which is a a revolution of AE-86 with subaru DOHC engine inside
So...what your saying is that this fact makes a Toyota basically also german-look ?

This discussion is going nowhere...
Old February 8th 2010, 09:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally View Post
This discussion is going nowhere...
Yep! and I for one think that it was an enjoyable exercise. I like the informed debate even if it raises seemingly contradictory views. carry on........

Clive
Old February 8th 2010, 09:20

Toyota has nothing to do with the germanlook definition,I'm just share my thought on MX67's post ...if this is not a problem...
Old February 8th 2010, 11:01

I think we should leave that politics about whick automaker is using which engine. It's about cutting costs. Perriod. Advertising is seccond reason. Perriod.

And what is German Look then?

German Look is scene which continued with Beetle evolution when Volkswagen had to gave up.

German Look is making of GT3 or GT2 out of Beetle respecting Porsche philosophy.
Old February 8th 2010, 15:48
Administrator

Everyone has a different view of what GL is. That is the cool thing about it. I can see that the flat 4 Suby is a fit in some ways (flat 4, rooted in German design) though it was never offered by VW. I can see the type 4 in one though it only came in a Bus/411/412 from VW but does have a connection to Porsche in the 914/912E. Some like body trim and some do not. Water is 8.5 lbs per gallon. Add water = add weight, add audio system = add weight, add anything (big wheels/tires, huge brakes) = add weight. Every action has a reaction. Does the reaction justify the action. That is what we all figure out as we plan our projects. How far we move from the core and how far we stretch what is "German" will differ.
There are many VW fanatics who say the Golf was the death of the real VW and many Porsche fanatics who say that the 993 was the last real Porsche. For these fanatics, there is no changing that view.
We own car from back in the day when one side of the family (VW) made plain cars for the masses and the other side of the family (Porsche) produced racing cars that wowed people and dominated their classes at races like Le Mans. As German Look fanatics, we want to blur that line between VW and Porsche and build cars that will shock people when they are beaten by a Beetle. We all (German Look fanatics) love it when the underdog lays the smackdown on the conceded one with the pedigree. That is the common bond for us. That is why most of us are here. We are all a bit different and our methods may differ but we all want to lay the smackdown on the pretty one with the pedigree and look mean doing it.
66 Beetle, 73 Standard Beetle
72 Pinzgauer 710M
Volksport Kafer Gruppe

Last edited by NO_H2O; February 8th 2010 at 16:31.
Old February 8th 2010, 20:57

So , hypothetically speaking , I take a beetle and decide to put a waterboxer from a vanagon in it . Its still a VW engine , but according to the arguments made , not being aircooled means its not a VW . What are the thoughts on that!
Old February 9th 2010, 00:34
Administrator

Did I say that? I can see the Suby mill in a GL. I'm not ready to do it, but I would not tell anyone not to. I see the connection to it. It's a flat 4 with German ties. I say do it and do it right. It's just not for me. But I do respect the Suby conversion, the STI version is a powerhouse. Some folks are diehard aircooled, I am one of those folks. But my way is not the only way and I know it.
72 Pinzgauer 710M
Volksport Kafer Gruppe
Old February 9th 2010, 03:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by NO_H2O View Post
Some folks are diehard aircooled, I am one of those folks. But my way is not the only way and I know it.
Count me in please
BMW E30 318i CONVERTIBLE 1992
Italian Toys - GERMAN WAR MACHINES
WRC is for boys - GROUP B WAS FOR MEN
Old February 9th 2010, 04:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSAF View Post
Count me in please
I hope that includes the part, "But my way is not the only way and I know it."

That is a lot more civil and accepting than "must have" and "end of story" from your first post.

I can go to a 300-car car show and walk away saying I wouldn't own 295 of them. But I bet I appreciate at least 200 of them.

Everyone has their preferences. I would hate to see differences in preferences escalate into something where folks aren't welcome or at least would find this site no fun to attend. I saw that at another site. In the end, there were no winners. Just losers. And hurt feelings.
Old February 9th 2010, 13:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by oasis View Post

That is a lot more civil and accepting than "must have" and "end of story" from your first post.

I can go to a 300-car car show and walk away saying I wouldn't own 295 of them. But I bet I appreciate at least 200 of them.

Everyone has their preferences. I would hate to see differences in preferences escalate into something where folks aren't welcome or at least would find this site no fun to attend. I saw that at another site. In the end, there were no winners. Just losers. And hurt feelings.
Amen
1st Drag Run

Dyno Run
Oval Ragster-'57 Rag/'04 Boxster S
Old February 9th 2010, 16:33

Hello to all of there

i believe that everyone that has a german looker dreamed to have at least 200hp aircooled power behind him!
but sometimes dreams are affordable...
subys,mazdas,golfs, are agood choise power to money ratio but only at the starting point because at the end your bils and problems are more than an aircooled plant.
Anyway everyone is making his choise and everyone of us see and learn.

thanks.
Old February 9th 2010, 20:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by oasis View Post

Totally agree with this!! There are many different styles for GL , and I can appreciate that some people don't want anything but aircooled . Just don't tell me that I can't have anything else .
Old February 9th 2010, 21:31
Administrator

You should build your bad a$$ suby powered GL. I want to see it. Hell I want to take a ride in it. I hope it lives up to everything you dreamed it would be. I am sure it will be a wicked performer.I have lots of respect for the STI engine ad think it is a great option. But when you put a radiator in a car that did not have one, you need thick skin to deflect the comments of those who are traditional hard core aircooled. Most of the jabs are not that pointed and said in fun. Were I work, we bust each others chops every chance we get but it is all in fun. That said, if you let people know something bothers you, that is all you will get until you get over yourself. Then next time it is your turn. I work with the best group of guys anyone could ask for. If I really need them. They would all be here as soon as they could to help. We bust each other up like brothers, but we have each others back like brothers too.
Welcome to the family.
72 Pinzgauer 710M
Volksport Kafer Gruppe
Old February 9th 2010, 21:31
Administrator

You should build your bad a$$ suby powered GL. I want to see it. Hell I want to take a ride in it. I hope it lives up to everything you dreamed it would be. I am sure it will be a wicked performer.I have lots of respect for the STI engine ad think it is a great option. But when you put a radiator in a car that did not have one, you need thick skin to deflect the comments of those who are traditional hard core aircooled. Most of the jabs are not that pointed and said in fun. Were I work, we bust each others chops every chance we get but it is all in fun. That said, if you let people know something bothers you, that is all you will get until you get over yourself. Then next time it is your turn. I work with the best group of guys anyone could ask for. If I really need them. They would all be here as soon as they could to help. We bust each other up like brothers, but we have each others back like brothers too.
Welcome to the family.
72 Pinzgauer 710M
Volksport Kafer Gruppe
Old February 10th 2010, 00:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by NO_H2O View Post
Welcome to the family.
Well , I had the same thing at my last shop . Having been there 6 years , I got to know everyone quite well . I have only been at the new shop for 5 months , but already the busting of the chops is happening , and I am getting to know the guys . As far as the car goes , I am currently looking for a base to start with . I am hoping to find somethinh by the summer to start working on . I would love to find a 75-77 super . Not too many around my area . As far as the water cooled engine goes - bust my chops , have fun with it ! I can take the ribbing and the shots . I am just saying don't be closed to the idea of an alternate power source and tell me my car is not a true VW because its not air cooled .