GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > General > Project Builds

Old July 7th 2009, 18:23

Yes, fully mapable. It's an 034 Motorsport IIc:

034 IIc

Great, you make me go to the 034 site and now one of these is heading my way...

Catch Can

Jason
1st Drag Run

Dyno Run
Oval Ragster-'57 Rag/'04 Boxster S
Old July 7th 2009, 19:00

I'm sure between the 2 of us we'll give you more info than you need. If I could convince you to come down on a Thursday to the BLTN meet in Sunnyvale I'd give you a live demonstration too

*edit*

Now that I think about it I might be able to head up your way on a weekend and give you a hand. Do you have a laptop with the tuning software loaded?
Old July 8th 2009, 01:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humble View Post
I'm sure between the 2 of us we'll give you more info than you need. If I could convince you to come down on a Thursday to the BLTN meet in Sunnyvale I'd give you a live demonstration too

*edit*

Now that I think about it I might be able to head up your way on a weekend and give you a hand. Do you have a laptop with the tuning software loaded?
That would be hella sweeet!!! Yep, I have 2 laptops with the software downloaded. I'm not sure about this weekend yet, but lets keep in the loop.

Jason
1st Drag Run

Dyno Run
Old July 14th 2009, 01:37

Well I'm afraid I have some bad news to report, the motor blew on the dyno today. By the sound of it, it seems valve train related but I won't know for sure until I tear the motor down. There were a few things that didn't seem right either, the motor was only making 120hp/125trq at 13psi which is really really wrong. A 2+ liter engine with that kind of boost should be well in the 200's. I may shelf the turbo bits for now and throw in the N/A spare just to get racing by the end of the season but for now it's back to the drawing board.

I did get some pics and video and I'll toss them up as soon as I get through them. She sounded awesome during the several pulls she made it's a shame the motor let go.
Old July 14th 2009, 01:40

dam sucks to hear man. i guess i should have asked for a ride at bltn lol.
Old July 14th 2009, 02:09

Oh man! That is a total bummer!
Sorry for your loss... really hope you recover from it and slap a new long block together.
Pls let us know what the cause was, so we all can avoid that one next time.
Old July 14th 2009, 14:16

Oh NO Will!!!! Oh that just SUCKS. I was hoping to hear glowing stories, not that it blew. You know, water isn't as bad as you might think...(said the snake from the tree)

Thanks so much for coming up, sorry that the logger wasn't working, I'm going to call them today and see if I can get to the bottom of it. I did work on the intake boot, turns out it was being squashed by it's position, so I cut it and am trying a new angle that I hope will work. It's all sort of in a holding pattern till the gt28rs goes in, but some air will probably make it work better. I doubt it will help too much with cold running, I'll just have to keep plugging on that.

Jason
1st Drag Run

Dyno Run
Old July 14th 2009, 16:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkdent View Post
You know, water isn't as bad as you might think...
That's a rather cheap shot...

...and yes it IS bad in a beetle .
Old July 14th 2009, 19:10

Really sorry to hear that humble, I was hoping to make it out to BLTN and see your car...

Where and when do they meet anyways? I work in Fremont, and always see a lot of VW's on random Thursdays on my way home from work LOL
Everyone told me its not a good idea to daily drive an aircooled bug. I agree, if the engine has a distributor and you use cheap engine parts... OR you have an early car without the decklid vents or you neglect to add an oil cooler with fan...
Old July 14th 2009, 21:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkdent View Post
Oh NO Will!!!! Oh that just SUCKS. I was hoping to hear glowing stories, not that it blew. You know, water isn't as bad as you might think...(said the snake from the tree)
Heh, I was using water (injection) and it helped quite a bit but it wasn't enough.

I got video and pictures up today, and the video will be a good carrot on a stick to get the motor back together. The dyno was at Blacktrax and Jei is the man trying to work his dyno majic but Lucy didn't want to play along.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C22vyW33-Os

Old July 14th 2009, 22:16

Why can't I hear any devastating engine noises?
Everyone told me its not a good idea to daily drive an aircooled bug. I agree, if the engine has a distributor and you use cheap engine parts... OR you have an early car without the decklid vents or you neglect to add an oil cooler with fan...
Old July 15th 2009, 02:30
Administrator

Man that just sux. Always hate to hear this kind of stuff.

Keep the chin up.
66 Beetle, 73 Standard Beetle
72 Pinzgauer 710M
Volksport Kafer Gruppe
Old July 15th 2009, 15:01

Any chance your cam timing is off a tooth? That would kinda explain the 5k rev range, and possibly the kaboom? It just doesn't sound like the timing is right to me, like it's retarded.

Jason
1st Drag Run

Dyno Run
Old July 15th 2009, 15:38

I do agree that it sounds very wrong to begin with. Just doesn't run smooth, but kinda like its on 3 cylinders or something. Timing way off could also sound like that maybe.

Maybe flat cam?

Turbo does spool nicely on a positive note.
Old July 15th 2009, 16:17

The cam timing was spot on 0* not advanced or retarded. The motor did start winding up up to 7500 on the dyno after some tuning. In the video he was tuning 2000-5500 pulls and loading up different amounts of boost so he wasn't takingit to redline.

He did have the timing advanced quite a bit looking at the maps, up to 50* of advance, which tells me the mechanical timing is off quite a bit. When he was tuning he was pushing for max torque by adjusting the timing but 50*of advance is unreal. But even so, since it's electronic the timing would work out correctly at the crank (or so i'm thinking).

The only things I can think of for possibly causing such extremely low numbers are flat cam or possibly the manifolds. I remembered last night I never swapped the manifolds for the correctly ported ones, so the intake manifolds on the car have stock sized ports where they meet the head. Do you think that flow restriction alone would limit to 120hp?

Looks like I'll be able to get the car home today or tomorrow and tear the motor out on sunday possibly. Hopefully by sunday night, or midway through next week we'll know the failure points.