GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Body

Old October 3rd 2006, 18:01

Unhappy Wider fenders???

Well, I'd like to think I'll be ok, but I can't shake the feeling I'm going to need wider fenders. At least maybe up front anyway. If I do I'll widen the back too..may as well.
Guess I need to test the fitment on the new wheels.

BIG problem at the moment is the front end is just too damn low.
With two people in the car (I weigh 210) the front tires rub the fenders like CRAZY!!! and I had the misfortune on turning into a drive-way today (my 5' tall mom was in the passenger seat) and the front passender's fender BENT.
so....
Any suggestions? I haven't even put the new wheels on.
Still on 4-1/2" stock steel. The new rims are 15"x6" and I fore-see trouble.
My only thoughts are maybe go with lower profile wheels up front while at the same time raising the top line kit another nocth.
Yes...it's the old adjusta strut kit,. but I DID get the tapered springs.
Can I do it all w/ stock fenders? The back looks do-able, but I'd like to be able to turn my car and drive it fast w/ out worrying about....

SKRRRRRREEEEEEEE!!!!! GRRRRRAAAACK!! SKREEEEEEEEEE! GRRRRRAAAAAAK!
Old October 4th 2006, 04:19

I have MaXX struts on the first setting and 16x6½ wheels. My offset is 42. I did have to go to a lower profile tire but I did not need wider fenders.

With adjust-a-struts and spots-plus springs, I would think you would be okay with a 15x6 wheel ... but your offset will be an important key.

If possible, do a trial fitment before buying any fenders. If there is some fender fouling, report back on your tire size. A lower profile may bel the only remaining tweak necessary.
Old October 5th 2006, 20:48

offset

Well...the backspacin is supposedly the same as empi 8 spokes which I thing is about 4-1/2" ???
Not sure what that makes the offset though.
Old October 6th 2006, 01:31

I am assuming you bent the front fender with the wheels cut, not because the tires already hang out past the fender when straight. How difficult is it for you to experiment with the height of the adjust-a-struts?

At that point, you should be able to determine the difference between your existing wheels and your replacement wheels. You could measure how much further the new wheels stick outward (extra width plus or minus the difference on offset even if unknown). At that point, a theoretical sized tire will possibly make the difference.

In my case, the standard tire that came with the Wolfsburg Edition BBS wheels were 205/55x16. By placing 195/50x16 tires on the front, I was able to gain another 6/10" clearance between tire and the lip of the fender. That was enough. I only have fender fouling in extreme cornering (meaning 20 MPH is the absolute max) or if the road offers some unsavory dip or bump with the process. Even so, it is brief and inconsequential.

It is possible you are headed in a similar direction. With 15" wheels, you may have even more leeway than I had.

My guess is the adjusting of the adjust-a-struts will prove to be time consuming.