GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Vendor announcements > Vdub Engineering

Old February 5th 2007, 17:23

Flat! Rear 944 set-up

Hey lanner,
I know the rear 944 hubs are what increase the track by 24mm per side on a beetle. Is there any way to machine the hubs so this offset is minimized? I want to use them on my beetle, but the increase in width will not comply with my stock fenders, even when I take my spacer off that I am currently using. It's a little different process than the fronts, but I was just wondering if there was any chance. Thanks.
Old February 6th 2007, 15:22

I don't know if there is an increase in width if you use the early 944NA steel arms??

With my early 944NA aluminum arms there is no way to narrow that extra 24mm per side.
What size/offset wheels are you running?
Old February 6th 2007, 22:17

There isn't an easy way to narrow the offset increase at the braking system. There are too many factors, because if you pull the rotor in then the ebrake shoes don't line up, and the 944 aluminum backing plate will need clearancing for the rotor and something done to center the caliper. It may be possible to narrow the steel IRS arm itself (26mm would be ideal because you can use the T3 auto axles). Depending on the wheel and offset you are running, the 944 offset increase typically isn't much of an issue. A 7et55 wheel with the 944 rear (steel arm) setup fits quite well under stock fenders aslong as the tire choice is conservative.

Asfar the offset of the different 944 rear setups:

The early 944 setup (steel arms) increases the track. By how much is actually debatable because all 944 rear setups use 22mm spacers and longer studs. The 86T aluminum arms are the same offset as the steel arms with the 22mm spacer. The 87+ aluminum arms are about 24mm more than the 86T alum arms. I have to actually measure these numbers one day to see how they relate to the stock T1 rear drum setup. If anyone has some hard numbers for this (that they have personally measured), I'm sure everyone here will appreciate it.

Lanner
Old February 7th 2007, 08:12

Hi

I have some early 944 alloy arms fitted up to my 1303, I took these measurements so that I could get an idea of what ET wheel I will need to run.

Rear track wheel bolt face to wheel bolt face on my 1303.
Type 3 drums 1405 mm (these give a slight track increase over Beetle drums)
944 alloy arms 1490 mm

Steve
Old February 8th 2007, 19:46

I'll have to check the offset, I can't remember it off hand. They are the wheels in my pic though. Measuring from my current setup, it looks like the lip of the rim will be about flush with the fender lip (right now it's a little inside the fender lip) It would work, but I'm not sure on how it would look is all.