GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Suspension

Old June 23rd 2005, 15:44

Modifiing 944 Rear disc bolt pattern

Has anyone modified the bolt pattern on the 944 rear trailing arm and disc brake conversion. I have built a custom front disc brake setup for my 70 std. beetle that uses 944 calipers, rotors from CSP drilled for 5 x 100mm and cb dropped spindles. Currently I'm running a drum from CSP drilled for 5 x 100mm in the rear. I would like to goto coilovers, 944 aluminum trailing arm, and 944 disc brakes in the rear. But, I want to retain the 5 x 100mm bolt pattern so I can continue to share wheels with my '03 GTI. Question, what are my options for changing bolt patterns on the 944 rear discs? I would like to use the later turbo model trailing arms due to their wider width but if I have to use one of those thick spacers that have two bolt patterns that may be too wide. I'm looking for options.... Thanks
Old June 23rd 2005, 17:57

if you really want to keep the 944 arms you might be able to modify a aftermarket rear drum, a nice one with extra material for odd bolt patterns, i think CSP has them (this the one you got?) and fit the stock '03 gti brake to it sort of like how Al B did it here

http://www.germanlook.com/Forums/showthread.php?t=5674

but why not use beetle arms, and 944 brakes with spacer? this may be cheaper and easier, get lanner to make one thats about 1" thick with the two bolt patterns and the hub centric boss. sort of like this

Last edited by rip; June 23rd 2005 at 18:08.
Old June 23rd 2005, 17:59

http://www.1010tires.com/images/acce...acer_large.jpg
Old June 23rd 2005, 18:05

more like this
http://www.motorsport-tech.com/Images/start_adptr1.jpg
Old June 23rd 2005, 19:59

yea i want the 944 disc brakes and trailing arm but i would alo like the 5 x 100mm bolt pattern. I guess i can use the earlier non turbo arms and then use a spacer with two bolt patterns. would i be able to mount a 86 and later turbo caliper to and earlier more narrow trailing arm?
Old June 23rd 2005, 22:41

It's no problem. I just finished a 944NA rear etup that was machined to 5-4.5" bolt pattern. As long as it's a 5 bolt pattern, there is enough room in the hub to machine it in. You're rotors will also need modifying. I made a drill jig for my customer for him to be able to drill the rotors on a drill press. It's only a clearance hole on the rotor.

The late model hubs are basically the same, and can be machined. The centering diameter of the late rear rotors is bigger than the earliers, so it might work out that with the 5-100mm bolt pattern the rotor would need a 1/2 moon near the centering pilot to clear the stud.

Good Luck, and the front setup sounds interesting. Throw us a pic!

Lanner
Old June 24th 2005, 02:14

Hmmm. That is good to hear. I was really worried about having to use a big ugly adapter. I’ll try to get some pictures of the front disc brake setup. I used one of the technical articles on this site as the basis for the idea. Basically I milled down the CB spindles like the one in the technical article and used some scrap pieces of stainless steel to machine adapters similar to those in the article. thanks for the help.