GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Brakes

Old May 25th 2014, 11:52

914 front brakes on a 1303 and other options

I know there are all of the arguments that 914 brakes are not enough of an upgrade over stock 1303 brakes to be worth it, however, seeing as how my car is an American version and has drum brakes, I'm exploring my options.

Are there any adapters out there that allow front 914 calipers to bolt up and be properly centered on a 1303? Do the late 914 rotors fit straight onto a Super Beetle spindle (I prefer the late rotors with the hub-centric ring for obvious reasons...I found a source for these where the guy will re-drill to 5 on 130).

Will the slightly thicker type 3 rotors work with the typical KG calipers? Though I realize just swapping rotors does NOT increase brake capability, the slightly increased thermal capacity of the type 3 rotors should allow, I would think, just that one or two more autocross runs before brake fade kicks in.

There have been some discussions in other places about brake balance. It has been said installing n/a 944 brakes front and rear, on a Beetle, gives a huge front brake bias. Can anyone suggest a F/R set up that is well balanced but not huge overkill? I have seen it suggested to equalize the brakes, A2 (mk2 to most of you) 2.0L 16V GTI FRONT calipers can be used in place of the single pot n/a 944 REAR calipers. This gives calipers, front and rear with 56mm pistons. Somehow, the idea of having the same size brakes both front and rear unsettles me, but I hear it works on a Beetle.

I'm on the verge of simply purchasing front and rear kits such as the front set up from Topline and rear set up by CBPerformance (the one with 914 rotors). I suspect I'll be perfectly happy with them, however, I'm concerned my planned engine swap (unadulterated EJ22) will provide enough power to be right at the top end of what the stock brakes can handle.

Last edited by H2OSB; May 25th 2014 at 12:10.
Old May 26th 2014, 08:45

I wasn't aware the Type 3s had a thicker rotor...?

The Euro/Aussie spec Beetle/Ghia rotors (and calipers) do a good job. I have driven US-spec cars (I own a couple) with drum brakes and they are woeful until upgraded

Even better with a rear disc... and yes you are correct about the Subi upgrade, it will tax the standard unvented brakes.

Maybe you need these!

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1374496&type=3
'76 fuel injected Cabriolet
..and a good ol' Aussie V8
Old May 26th 2014, 11:14

Late type 3, late type 4 and early Porsche 914 all share the same front discs, and are 281mm x 11mm. I BELIEVE early type 3 are the same as Karmann Ghia disc.

My biggest concern for using 944 brakes (n/a) is brake imbalance. I hadn't heard a lot about it until I read through a thread on VolksZone. I'm hoping someone can confirm it's an issue enough to be concerned about. It makes sense in that the 944 has the opposite weight balance F vs. R as a Beetle, so with weight transfer, under hard braking, the 944 will have a huge amount of it's weight over the front end, and thus must have brakes capable of handling that.

I have learned mk2 2.0L 16V GTI front calipers will, not only, bolt on in place of standard 944 rear calipers, but be centered over the 944 discs as well. I've located a set and am willing to try them, but I'm afraid they will simply give a huge rear brake bias.

Hoping to get some confirmation about this.

Last edited by H2OSB; May 27th 2014 at 17:40.