GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Transmissions

Old August 6th 2002, 18:15

ferrari 8 speed tranny

okay i am just writting on info that i have only seen or read once on the shoptalk forums. one of the members on his site stated that he was putting in a 8 speed ferrari transmission. if it is true, what year, mods, and ball park price range to do this..
Old August 7th 2002, 20:14

8-speed? Most I ever heard of is Bugatti's 7-speed paddle-shift tranny. Then there are truck tranny's. 15 speeds! Low, medium, and high gearing!

I mean, how much shifting can you do on the street? When will you ever need that 8th (?) gear? You'd be doing like 180mph! Impractical, unless it was geared SO low...

Stick with 4 or 5 speeds for the VW. Leave 6 speeds and more to the car companies.

'08 GTI DSG :: 1980 911 SC Track Car
1972 1302 German Looker - dearly missed

///BrooklynAutoRennen
Old August 7th 2002, 21:03

Better yet. Can you afford it? I just priced a 915 5-speed with LSD and custom gearing..........$6K. Ferrari box + conversion......I'd AT LEAST double it. I also priced a sequential 6 speed........$6.5K just for the trans. That doesnt include the bell housing mods, gear display or the conversion. I read in European car, 6-speed quaife sequential to Mk4 GTI was almost as much as the car itself. Just to give you an idea. I'd stick w/ VW or Porsche..... that's expensive enough depending on what you want.

"If you are under control you're going too slow" - Parnelli Jones
Old August 8th 2002, 00:12

thanks for the replies, yeah i figured that the tranny would be a but load of money. right now if i read something that is new or different than the rest i just simply ask questions. how about a six speed automatic transmission. i am starting to see alot of the hot rod guys in the states use gear splitters to turn a standard three speed into a six speed, i wonder if they have tried something for a automatic porsche or vw platform, or atleast close in design.
Old August 19th 2002, 14:28

Gear spliters? how tha what tha??

How do those gear splitters work anyways. Ihave seen them advertised but never had them explained. I have been in cars with 2 speed rear end-well a truck. Thi doesn't sound like a diff trick though. Can some one explain-I have a fairly good understanding of autos for dub head-ss
Old August 21st 2002, 20:01

I think its pneumatic, in the trucks anyway. In trucks, its actually a 1/2 gear in between. So you'll have 1st- hit the switch while still in 1st. Then you're at (technically) 1st and a half- hit the switch and shift to second and so on. Its actually a super-close close ratio. Used when you have a heavy load b/c sometimes (for eg.) 3rd may be to high of a gear and second is maxxed out so you need somthing in between...... gear splitter. Seems too much of a pain to shift- especially for a car. Its got to be slower.

"If you are under control you're going too slow" - Parnelli Jones
Old August 22nd 2002, 22:15
TitoRay

Where did he get the tranny? Off of a Ferrari semi-truck? Eight gears. . . .I have never heard of that. Even the new F-60 is rumored to have 7.
Old August 23rd 2002, 03:22

I think he might be joking?