GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Electrical

Old December 17th 2004, 00:53

Digital CHT's ???

Anyone running a digital CHT (other than Dakota)? I'm planning to run Autometer Carbon Fiber gauges, but they don't offer a CHT gauge in the series. I don't want to mix gauges and was hoping there was a digital alternative.
Old December 17th 2004, 23:37

I dont think they do either...

did you contact them? Maybe they could help you decide even better, theyve always helped me out when I had any questions at all.

John
VolkSport Kfer Gruppe
www.VolkSport.net
Old December 19th 2004, 00:34

SPA Technique

I'm using SPA dual Temp/Temp (DG 210B, $150) with a pair of their 255C type K thermocouple adapters (DTA 201-FL, $70/) from bimmerworld.com. See also, spatechnique.com

The SPA gauge needs an ungrounded Type K thermocouple. VDO, Autometer, etc are all grounded probes. I got the ungrounded 14mm spark plug gasket probes from KS Avionics ($35/ custom item). Bill Simpkinson at KS Avionics may help you as he did me. I would start with Bill since the gauges need the ungrounded probes. Also, get thermocouple extension wire from KS Avoinics and route all the thermocouple wiring away from spark plugs and primary wiring because the thermocouple wire will pickup noise and result in intermittent or zero reading. Male Type K thermocouple plugs are needed from omega.com to connect the thermocouple extension wire to the SPA thermocouple adapter box. KS Avionics can supply the thermocouple connectors for the probe end.

The SPA unit is nice -- it has peak hold and high limit warning outputs for buzzers/lights. It will display green or red backlighting and comes in black or white faces. I placed mine under the dash in a VDO adjustable mounting cup (long version). It's very easy to read day and night. The same gauge can be used to read EGT adapters/probes from SPA (not hot-swap). The thermocouple adapter box has the signal conditioning, so you can tap into the gauge signal easily for data logging.

I checked the calibration of my install with boiling water and it's right on.

It's kind of spendy and a pain to peice together the components, but dual CHT with warning limit output and gauge signal output capability is what I wanted.

Stay Kuhl,
Bill