GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Electrical

Old October 6th 2004, 10:04

Question 1302 seat mounts / options

I'm trying to figure out what my seat options are for my 1971 1302 that requires little modification. It seems 1303s are easier. My search parameters presented something called Kerscher seat mounts.

Are these available to make all seats work with a 1302 track, or certain seats, or what? What's involved in applying these mounts? Can these (or similar) mounts be had for someone in the USA?

Are there any other options? Again, I would want to minimize customization as much as possible unless there is a someone or some place that can be suggested.
Old October 6th 2004, 19:01
Administrator

I mounted a set of seats from a 2003 Celica GTS in my car. They mount to the floor of a Celica but that would have been far to low in a bug. I took a spair of donor set bottoms from a bug of the same year and striped the cover and springs from them and welded the Celica seat frames to the bug lower seat bottom frames, painted the frames and the hight was just right. Plus I have the adjustment of both tracks. I can put the front seats all the way back against the back seat or all the way up to the dash. Makes it eazy to vacume out the car .
You can see them in "My Ride profile", I tried to upload the pic again but had some trouble.
66 Beetle, 73 Standard Beetle
72 Pinzgauer 710M
Volksport Kafer Gruppe
Old October 7th 2004, 07:58

I saw a site yesterday which sells Carbeau (sp?) seats. Supposedly, they have mounts for over 600 cars including the '71-'72 Super Beetle. Anyone have any experience with Carbeau seats they would like to share. (I am also open to more options -- the less invasive, the better).
Old October 7th 2004, 10:55

Hello Oasis,
I have a pair of Corbeau Targa GTS seats in my '70 std bug. I didn't go with the Corbeau brackets, but did something similar to NO_H2O with the sliding mech from the bug and a bolt on sub-frame to the seat. Very cheap and strong while maintaining the stock floorpans/sliders.
For pictures check out : http://www.germanlook.com/Forums/sho...6&page=2&pp=15
Hope this helps.
Cheers,
Dave
Old October 7th 2004, 18:47

That looks very nice and (a big plus for me) not too involved. I'm curious, though, why did you opt to do your own rather than going with a supplied unit? Was one not available for a '70 standard, or was it the extra cost? (And, whoa baby, there is an extra cost...)
Old October 8th 2004, 11:18

Well it was a combination of things: the brackets were on back order and would have taken four/six weeks to get; it seemed like a lot of money for something that seemed fairly straight forward; and lastly, I've turned every nut & bolt on my car, with just about every piece getting a little modification/attention and I figured that I'd try building a set and if they didn't work out I'd order the brackets.
If you do decide to go this way, make sure that you keep the frames square (the driver's side is slightly harder to slide all the way forward )
Good luck, and keep us posted!
Cheers,
Dave
Old October 8th 2004, 16:45
Administrator

For me it came down to this. The seats were very nice, high quality and free. So I bought a pair of donor frames for $20 cut some 1/8 flat steel and welded them up. There are lots of import tuner guys that take great seats out of cars to put in APC seats so the can have that F-n-F look. Search the salvage yards and tuner shops and see what you can find, you might come out far better on the $$ end and have a much better seat.
66 Beetle, 73 Standard Beetle
72 Pinzgauer 710M
Volksport Kafer Gruppe
Old October 9th 2004, 00:40

I appreciate both of your viewpoints and responses. This may be something I would consider. DIYing isn't something I do often or gladly. Like building my fence or my deck, or stringing my tennis racquets -- I do it or have done it because it's what's best. This just may fall into that category. We'll see... (I really wish I would derive some pleasure or pride from these things.)
Old October 9th 2004, 18:33

i had a company that specializes in seat brackets make me a set to fit momo seats in my 74 sb utilizing the stock pedestal mount and tracks.

they have premade jigs to fabricate many seat/car combinations.

i paid $75 each..quality is ok..for now
www.wedgeengineering.net
Old October 15th 2004, 23:10

how is this for some creativity..both front seats and rear seats....saw this car at the VW Classic
click thumbnail for larger image

Last edited by VWader04; October 15th 2004 at 23:13.
Old October 17th 2004, 11:24

Creative, for sure. I would only need one seat like that, though. No one else would ride with me.