GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Transmissions

Old December 22nd 2004, 15:56

915 installed + cup-strebe pics

Hello,
Just installed the cup strebe above the 915 trans. Still working on the set-up with the hydraulic slave cylinder in the trans in such a manner that the BAS silencer system can pass the trans hook as well

Regards,
Walter
Old December 22nd 2004, 18:22

very cool. i ended up not running the full length of the BAS system. just ran the first muf and then custom pipe taking a turn to the rear and straight out. doesn't hang any lower than the cross pipe, but sounds awesome. still pretty quiet too. i just wanted more than how quiet the dual system was.

Company Branding, Graphic Design, and Web Services at DigiVinci Design
Old December 26th 2004, 19:16

Kafer cup brace

Hi Wally,
I would like to know if the 3 bar kafer cup brace is just as good as the 5 bar brace.
Old December 28th 2004, 13:51

Hello,
Well, define 'just as good' ?
Question for me was: do I need a 5-bar? The more stiffening, the better, but I don't 'need' it. I think I DO need the 3-bar when the two-four is up and running and definately when the 2,9 ltr Apfelbeck will ever end up in there

Greetings,
Walter
Old December 28th 2004, 14:14
Administrator

Nice install Wally. I see that at the shock attachment points there only seems to be a single layer of metal that it looks like you 'notched' to fit the down-tube tab. On my 74 standard, I have 2 formed layers of metal, so I could not install the tabs like you did.

Nice to see a pic of a 915 installed in a beetle. Have you completed your shift linkage yet ? What shifter are you using ? How did you align the shift rod to gearbox input shaft ? I have my own ideas but would like to hear your solutions to compare as I am in the middle of my 901 install.

Great work !

Sandeep
Old December 28th 2004, 16:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandeep
Nice install Wally. I see that at the shock attachment points there only seems to be a single layer of metal that it looks like you 'notched' to fit the down-tube tab. On my 74 standard, I have 2 formed layers of metal, so I could not install the tabs like you did.

Nice to see a pic of a 915 installed in a beetle. Have you completed your shift linkage yet ? What shifter are you using ? How did you align the shift rod to gearbox input shaft ? I have my own ideas but would like to hear your solutions to compare as I am in the middle of my 901 install.

Great work !

Sandeep
Thanks Sandeep; yes, I think you have seen that very well I tried to retain as much original metal in that area as possible as it is part of the rear bumper bracket stability imo.

My big surprise was that I was able to have the 915 in there without the trans needing more room towards the rear than stock The pic doesn't even do it justice in that picture as it is not even taken at exactly a 90 degree angle. It took me a while with all clearencing of the torsion tube (not the tube itself, but the mounting plate of the original trans mostly!) tho, but worth it imo.

Shift linkage is complete. I ended up using the original 03 shift rod, but modified front and rear to accept the 915 couplings. I also used a stock 915 shifter and its very nice aluminium housing, which is a really nice piece of work in stock form. I do have an original 915 short-shift kit for it (was not obtainable anymore in Europe, but Pelican still had a few sets ), but want to wait first how it works in 'stock' form.
The Saco kit is partly installed. I have the arm on the trans now rotated 90 degrees and shortenend (was a big step for me). Remmele does it like this also I have seen in pics, but I have a different slave cylinder, so can't copy it in full. I need to fixate the slave cylinder to the (now tightenend) tranny frame horn at one side, which I would rather not do, but need to if I want to use the Saco slave cylinder (it pushes instead of pulls as most slave cylinders do) and I want that since all couplings match now very nicely. One of them being the 'steel' 3/8" brake line I'am using as a hydraulic line.

I have the type4 to 915 flywheel and clutch mounted on a dummy short block T4 engine, so if the clutch releases nicely (or not) one of these days I will report it here to you of course!

Thanks,
Walter

Last edited by Wally; December 28th 2004 at 16:43.
Old December 29th 2004, 13:58

Very nice parts going in there Wally! Looks great, keep up the good work.

Matt
Old February 13th 2005, 05:35

Just an update from my latest film out of the camera.
Engine is in and running. The clutch engages and more importantly, disengages (sp?) as well.
Here are some pics. The first shows the slave cylinder attached to the shortenend 915 trow-out arm and 'protected' from the cross pipe by a piece of sheet metal acting as a heat deflector:

The 915 pressure plate on the KEP flywheel on a dummy short block:

Greetings,
Walter
Old February 13th 2005, 05:36

A shot of the specially made KEP type 4 to 915 flywheel:

Positioning of the 911 (1980's) shifter. I have a short shift kit for it, but for now the synchros of the trans seem shot, so speed shifting is not possible anyway at this moment

Regards,
Walter
Old February 13th 2005, 11:48

NIce job Wally..
Old February 13th 2005, 13:17

very nice job Wally

'I drive way to fast to worry about cholesterol!'

'67 Sunroof Notchback * '68 FI Squareback
Old February 13th 2005, 17:55
Administrator

Looking good Wally. One day when I get the other 2 projects for my kids done, I will start my 5 speed conversion (901). :agree:
66 Beetle, 73 Standard Beetle
72 Pinzgauer 710M
Volksport Kafer Gruppe
Old December 19th 2005, 16:43

915 installed + cup-strebe pics

Hi Wally,

I am thinking of installing a 915 box into my 65 bug, and would like to see your pics. But there are no pics in your thread!

Do you have any advice for installing the box, would you do it again?

Thanks

Jörg
Old December 20th 2005, 15:51

Sorry, I switched of provider for the pics, which are gone for now.
But yes, I would do it again
Old December 20th 2005, 16:04

Hi Wally,

thanks for the fast answer, do you know any other source for seeing pics of an installed 915 box, or any chance to see yours?

Cheers Jörg