GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > German Look Tuning

Old July 6th 2004, 01:28

less the high end paint and frame off doesn't seem that expensive is it?

As I read in "The Perfect suspension" Is it true that the early 911 Had the same handling characteristics and weight dist. as the super beetle? How do I go about extracting the most handling potential out of this car? (less tubular frame) Nice extra Firm ride prefered!

Without lowering the front of the car. Lowering a macpherson strut suspension is bad for handling becouse it thows off the roll center (the roll center drops faster then the cg) Or if theres away to maintain that geomitry that I am not fimilier with. (Idealy the control arms should be.. say .5 inch higer on the inside then the outside depending on spring rate)
Old July 6th 2004, 01:31

I've had my 1302 for 14 years now, and from day one i've been trying to get to go fast. Growing/living in the hills I've really learned to appreciate the twisties. Who in their right mind would dump, lets say $10,000-$30,000+ on a Volkswagen Bug. Now since the German Look is starting to take off and the obvious potential of these cars is finally becoming known by the VW community and not by the rest of the automotive industry that will make for a lot of fun times for us when we finally get our machines on the street.
What I'm tring to say is that we are all very sick in the head but we all have same sickness. A vision of a Volkswagen tearing some of the best cars in road race like conditions. Back in the late sixties vw's were smashing GTO's and other 8's in the quarters but that was then, and now its the corners. And we got to be on the cutting edge to keep up with these new cars that are coming out, they keep on getting faster and faster, so we gotta do the same. It's just evolution of a old design.
Old July 6th 2004, 08:13
Administrator

If you skip the 5K paint, the new rubber everywere, Powdercoating stuff, wet-sanding and buffing, new interior, etc. You will drop the price of you car alot. Just find a good car, a donor 944 T or S in a junk yard to get your goodies from, a 2L 914 engine, trow a nice cam/lifters, exhaust, upright shroud, etc. at it, some fiberglass fenders(used would be better) and a cheap paint job. strip everything off it less a good drivers seat, guages, pedels. You would have a good street/track/driver car.
66 Beetle, 73 Standard Beetle
72 Pinzgauer 710M
Volksport Kafer Gruppe
Old July 6th 2004, 14:16

I'm looking at a car right now that has a full mullholland kit (the rear wing has been made very tastful, not just a like..dinner table slab)

It's porsche red, with all one piece tinted glass front windows, 3 inch wider fenders on all 4 corners (massive massive tires I can shove inder there!)

It doesn't run drove into the gerage 5 or 6 years ago (new tank and lines should make it run)
Needs paint (cracking laquer)
I would have to buy new seats for it becouse the onese that are in there are on custom brackes for REALLY tall people (not me, really short person)
It's got new welt on the fenders but needs (and needs new rear window rubber. And while I'm at it if it's cheap enough I should buy new rear window rubber, door rubber..etc. I don't know where all the rubber places are.)
It'd also need..sometime. New tint on the other 3 windows
It's got stock 1600
Adjust-a-struts for a 1302 (have to be changed for the 944 stuff)
Got 14" wheels on it with 195s and 245s (also need to be changed for the 944 suff and to put way bigger tires under there..I wonder how far I can go?)

Comes with a few pref things. Some shifters, 914 gauges, a WHOLE BUNCH of mic oil temp/pressure/amp/tacs... gauges, new stering wheel, Some metal rod that I'm suposed to put hooks on and mount underneeth the engine?

What do you think? What's a good offer on this car?

Old July 10th 2004, 03:52

No opinions? I'm also looking for a good offer to make on the car.
Old July 10th 2004, 11:43

depending on rust conditions, $300-$500 tops. depending on what you are going to do (and may response is based on what i have seen you talking about in posts), plan on another $5-$10k. always take your budget and double it. that is always the minimum of what you will end up spending. well proven formula.

Company Branding, Graphic Design, and Web Services at DigiVinci Design
Old July 10th 2004, 14:56

Mullholland style bugs are probably the most undesirable of all beetles so I agree with that price.
At the same time, a few minor adjustments(paint!!!!!!!!!) on that ride and it would be a definite candidate for a killer German Looker.
Put 7-12k in engine, trans, brakes, and suspension and ur gonna have an extremely capable ride no matter what bug u choose. Just depends on what you want to start with.

Oh, and ditch the whale tail!!

Last edited by TitoRay; July 10th 2004 at 15:03.
Old July 10th 2004, 20:17

it looks like its in good shape... I would give up to a $1000 for that car. But I would definitely get rid of the whale tail and the square lights.

'I drive way to fast to worry about cholesterol!'

'67 Sunroof Notchback * '68 FI Squareback
Old July 10th 2004, 20:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by zen
always take your budget and double it. that is always the minimum of what you will end up spending. well proven formula.

And take the amount of time you think you will need to finish the car and quadruple it.
www.volksport.net Volksport Kfer Gruppe
Old July 10th 2004, 21:49

I'm looking for somethig obsure that will turn heads. If this car is all fixed up will it do that?

The deal is sweetned, as he also has a 2 liter type 4 ED (from a late bus, like 1975) is the first two letters of the code. It needs to be rebuilt (I'd imagine) and he has some webber carbs. I'd rebuild those too. It doesn't have a tin or anything just a compete engine and carbs with manifolds.

I think there are other carbs for it too.

What's a good package deal amount for this (on my side) Is that a good engine the ED? What's consitered the *best* type 4?
Old July 11th 2004, 03:25
Administrator

I"m not sure what a bus core engine is worth ($100-$300 depending no condition) the used webbers should be about the same, again it dedends on the condition. The bus heads will need extensive rework to use on the street/track engine you are looking for. You might be better off finding some 1.8L or 2L 914 heads. You should call Head Flow Masters and get their advice on the heads and send the heads(either the bus or 914) to them for the work. If you are looking to build a street/track turbo engine, don't look to use alot of stuff other than the case from the core engine. The pistons/cylinders will have to be top self (JE/L&N) head work from Head Flow Masters or Ham Inc. a good turbo grind cam from Web Cam and I would go with L&N ceramic lifters after some of the stories I have heard and seen with type 4 lifters in the past year. As for the turbo set-up I don't have any real info on that. Don't sink alot of money in the core engine if you aren't going to use much of the stuff from it. And when you are done the webbers might be too small, If you are going to turbo it you will need 1 big carb or an FI set-up.
As far as the car,,,I agree with the "Loose the square lights and whale tail" comments. Or get the Yahn Hammer cd with the Miami Vice theme song to bast as you drive down the strip.
72 Pinzgauer 710M
Volksport Kafer Gruppe
Old July 11th 2004, 05:07

The stock cylinders arn't any good even for low boost? (only lookin at 150-200HP here. I actually don't want to exceed 200HP. Not looking for a Super Tranny for the Super Beetle, although to recognise a perf. tranny is good and more then likely needed. I know where to find some stock (or close to it) parts (pelicanparts) but no idea where to find other parts.

I'm interested in Turbo as I can assemble it myself (also I've found no kit) and potentually save some beans as your just makeing the engine more efficent (100% + VE is possible with turbo, although it does generate more heat)

Can I overbore the cylinders? or do I have to buy new ones?
Old July 11th 2004, 18:19
Administrator

You can bore the 94's to 96's but that still leaves you with buying pistons. Then you will want to turn up the boost and the iron jugs won't shed the heat like Nickies will (Nickies were the standard on Porsche 6 cyl engines from the 70's on and all turbo cars). I think that if I were planning a turbo engine, I would plan on useing Nickies. I spent a year with a bad combo(wrong cam) that ran hot on the hwy(non turbo). It is a bad feeling, always watching the guages and wondering if this will be it's last trip out.
72 Pinzgauer 710M
Volksport Kafer Gruppe
Old July 11th 2004, 20:37

Well I could always just hone (can I do that with these?) and clean up the stock cylinders, get some hypernumatic or forged pistons, mich the crank (can you do that with these too?) and slap a turbo on it. If it'd be better. (I can compensate for the smaller pistons with alittle more boost

Does anyone know anything about these cylinder heads?

http://www.aircooled.net/new-bin/vie...09200457907416

I'd prob want the level 3's..
$699.95
45 X 38mm Valves. These have more extensive porting and larger valves compared to the Level 2 heads, and shows that you are more serious about your motor and performance! Street engines with 94 bore size around 2.0L displacement will have around 165 Hp with these heads, when you have 44 or 48mm carbs.

I wonder how much low torque there is with this setup?
Old July 11th 2004, 20:50

That $699.99 price tag is per head. I'd go stage 2 on a turbo engine, and spend more on a nice set of connecting rods.