GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > General > Project Builds

Old January 29th 2011, 14:39

Good eye! It used to touch over a year ago, not not anymore. Damage was done and I don't mind too much tbh. There's also a little dent there from someone that ran into me in a traffic jam 2 years ago...
Old January 29th 2011, 15:03

Thumbs up

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4iuImkFo0I[/QUOTE]

Hay Walter, man nice work. Question, that G50 has tall gearing, in your video was that 4th to 5th gear? It looked and sounded like you could have continued to accelorate even more. Again damn nice results, congrats.
Old January 29th 2011, 16:27

4th gear and yes, that was a little over 6K, but it goes on to 7K and wants to go further then... Very curieus untill how far it continues to make power on the dyno.
Old January 30th 2011, 13:21

Congrats Wally! Looks and sounds great!
Old January 31st 2011, 04:48

looking good. be intresting to see the dyno results on this set up compered to the old one. are you going for more boost or was the swap to the bigger turbo to control the boost better?
Old January 31st 2011, 05:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by judgie View Post
looking good. be intresting to see the dyno results on this set up compered to the old one.

Are you going for more boost or was the swap to the bigger turbo to control the boost better?
Neither actually: this huge turbo was intended for fitting together with an engine upgrade to more cc's. Then a big turbo like this would make more sense. The bigger cc u[pgrade didn't happen however, hence I thought trying it on the current engine I have so much data already from.

The other idea was to decrease exhaust gas back pressure by using an even bigger (compared to the already bigger compressor) turbine wheel.
So, the turbine wheel now is double big so to speak... hence the to be expected huge lag. I think partly due to the twin-scroll set-up, lag is not as terrible as it would have been otherwise.

OTOH, less back pressure will make higher boost settings possible. For example: 20 psi gave me 30psi back pressure(!). You can fill out what this means if you have a (assuming) 1:1 ratio...
Question is will the engine internals withstand the mechanical forces (++torque) of more boost or even same boost but with more power because of the better VE I think I have now?

I tried tuning it on the road, but frankfully, its too tricky on a public road at the boost settings above 15 psi. Tuning is not complete therefore, but close enough
-only one way to find out: drag it to the dyno
Old February 1st 2011, 10:54

Dyno has been booked for coming saturday...
Old February 1st 2011, 15:02

It will keep on making power until the valve springs float.
Old February 1st 2011, 16:29
Administrator

Fantastic !

Based on your last "seat of the pants" comment, I'm guessing you'll be dynoing to 15 psi then ?

Are you still using the ID1000's ?

Looking forward to the results and the conclusion of your exhaust back pressure / turbine size testing.

Sandeep
Old February 1st 2011, 17:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandeep View Post
Fantastic !

Based on your last "seat of the pants" comment, I'm guessing you'll be dynoing to 15 psi then ?
Nah, what fun would that be? There is now a 15 psi waste-gate spring in it, so 15 psi will be the lowest boost pressure setting. Waste-gate spring is setting 1 on the EBC. There are 5 settings after that
If the engine will hold (knock on wood), I want to at least test 22 psi (1,5 bar) as well. It looks like this combo holds boost pretty constant across the rpm range.
Quote:
Are you still using the ID1000's ?
Yep, they might be on the small side by now, we'll just have to see...
Old February 5th 2011, 15:20

Unfortunately, no such luck today: injectors were at 100% IDC already at 1,3 bar boost and ~6500 rpm...
But 398 hp and climbing at 1.3 bar but running at lambda 1.0 and 1.1 at that power level... that probably did the engine no good, but no problems leaving the dyno...but I still did strand on the way back home. Seemed like electrical problems or fuel delivery problems or ?
Not sure what it is yet though...

This was the first run at 15 psi:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TOIdkF6mbg

Old February 5th 2011, 22:14

You made almost 400 whp at 19lbs of boost. You were also lean, need to increase fuel at that level.
Old February 6th 2011, 10:00

IDC at 100% ? Injectors too small also? I figured 1000cc would be enough running pump gas at that horsepower level.Perhaps not enough fuel pressure for the amount of fuel volume needed? In other words rail pressure is dropping because the pump canīt keep up with the boost/fuel ratio and maintain the desired pressure and the injectors try to compensate with longer opening intervals? Itīs just a guess - Iīm not sure if that makes sense but I canīt imagine that the injectors are too small at that level?

Maybe itīs none of the above and you donīt have enough electrical power/current to support the pump? What I donīt understand is,youīve had a higher boostsetting,ran richer(?) and HP before the turbo change.So how is it possible that it suddenly collapses?
Old February 6th 2011, 12:12

I have found the cause: my feed pump wasn't running well and I got stranded because it didn't run at that moment at all anymore!
Logical that when you have no fuel anymore, the engine dies out...duh!

I had a spare 944 pump I switched over and it started cold immediately again :mrgreen:
Pffft!
I left the fuel pressure to 60 psi, so according to the flow sheet that should give me 1180 cc, which should be enough anyways. Just need to re-map the fuel map but thats no biggie.

Very glad it was something this simple, but scary as it could have ended far worse. Amazingly and fortunately the engine held...
Old February 6th 2011, 14:52

That's good to hear it was something simple and no damage caused!