GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Suspension

Old March 6th 2003, 16:46

Question Type 3 MC with 944 rear brk.

Hello
I have a set of early Porsche 911 5.5 inch wide steel KPZ wheels which I want to use on my 1969 Squareback. Because of their negative offset (they have an et of 52,3 mm I guess) fitting them to the Squareback would require the use of heavy adapters or spacers. Since the wheels are also very heavy I dont like the Ýdea of running thick and heavy adapters. But if I can locate 944 rear discs (The '83-'85 ones) I'm willing to use the wheels since the rear track will be widened (23 mm per side am I right?) and there will be no need for spacers at the rear.
What I would like to know is.
1. Ýf I use the stock type 3 calipers at the front will the stock t. 3 MC work ok with the 944 sinle pot rear calipers?
2. Will the 944 rear discs overbrake when used with the stock type 3 front disc caliper setup? Ýf so is it possible to restore braking balance by using drilled (like CSP ones) discs up front?
Thanks in advance for any tips.
Old March 6th 2003, 19:25

I don't know for sure, I'm not sure anyone has used this combination before. My guess is you would be ok and if not an adjustable proprotioning valve to reduce pressure to the rear calipers would balance the system.

Drilled rotors will not add much if any braking power to the front.
ken
Old March 7th 2003, 06:08

Thumbs up

Thank you very much for your input kdanie.
This morning I found an article discribing a very similar combo like mine. Even the chosen wheels look the same but the car is a 356 Speedster replica. The article is posted at www.ricola.co.uk ''brakes'' section. There are lots of other interesting tech tips also. Beautiful site Ricola!
I think I'll do the setup and see what happens. If ý should run into trouble with the braking balance I'll try the later 1973 type 3's larger front calipers and pads. Hope this works out ok. Next would be my '74 GL 1303 with this brake combo.
One last question.
How about using Talbot Horizon front calipers with the type 3 or 1303 front discs? Ýs there a big difference in stopping power compared to stock? Has anyone used Talbot brakes up front?
I'm on a tight budged and I want to keep everything bolt on and avoid machining whenever possible. I also like the idea that everything would look as if it were factory fitted.

Thanks again.
Old March 7th 2003, 09:53

Glad you like my site!
I did go through an 'in between' phase with 944 rear discs and standard front discs and the standard type 1 master cylinder. This worked very well with a great balance...

Rich
Old March 9th 2003, 17:12

My experience as well. Braking was amazingly good due to the more brake force of the rear. You are going to think why VW didn't use more break power to the rear! It was on my 1303 and the fronts would still block first.
Good luck.
Walter