GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > General > Project Builds

Old September 26th 2014, 06:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blizzard View Post
So I bought another '75 1303.
How it looks today.
What a nice car with all the clever mods! I obviously like the color combo, congratulations

How do you feel the ride quality after installing the camber plate? All the pros and cons are well come, thanks!
Old September 27th 2014, 04:38

Thanks for the compliment. I also like your ride. The color on my car is a VW color called Flash red.

I was afraid the camber plate with steel on steel mounting would carry the sound from the wheels into the interior. but its surprisingly quiet and comfortable. I used alot of sound deadening materials under the carpet, that also helps to cancel out any vibrations coused by rough road conditions.

In the following topic I described how I made the camber plates.

http://www.germanlook.net/forums/sho...t=camber+plate
Old September 28th 2014, 12:42

Quote:

I was afraid the camber plate with steel on steel mounting would carry the sound from the wheels into the interior

In the following topic I described how I made the camber plates.
Thank for the feedback. I have read the topic before, i like uow you made it that's why i'm asking the experiences I would be afraid of noise too, so it's good to know it's not so bad. What about cornering capacities, is it sharper than was with the original plate? What wheel alignment do you run?
Old September 29th 2014, 11:38

I use 944 spindles. 944 struts lean more inward compared to 1302/3 struts. So I need more camber adjustment to fix the positive camber caused by the 944 spindles. I also wanted to use standard fenders and to fit the 7J cup-2 I had to move the standard camber adjustment on the framehead as max as possible inward creating even more positive camber. I have a few degrees negative camber with the camber plate also max inward. I still have to go to an alignment shop after I get the new rear tyres. When that is done I will post the amount of camber and caster and how it handles. As you can see in the photo of the camber plate in the car I moved it as far back as possible to create some extra caster. It's not much but about one cm. but every little bit helps.
Old September 29th 2014, 11:46

The camber adjustment of the 944 spindle on the KW coilover is also max > negative camber.
Old September 29th 2014, 16:58

Thanks!
Old August 22nd 2015, 14:50

Same spot, different '75 super

@ Bugshow Spa 2015
Old August 22nd 2015, 15:04

Not realy Germanlook but who cares, it shifts fine.
New Red 03 poolball gearknob, appropriate in this red '03

Old August 22nd 2015, 15:15

Few more pics at the Bugshow Spa Francochamps.

Old August 22nd 2015, 16:23

You car looks outstanding. It was your camber plates I used as an example for the guys at Silver Project to make the ones they now sell for 1303s. Good job! Because of you many can have camber plates like you're using (Not me yet...I was hoping the Silver Project guys would give me a set for free since I gave them the idea and the stock upper strut bearing they used for dimensions...Alas, it didn't happen).

I, too, am using 944 spindles. I'm hoping I won't need to buy the camber plates. Thus far, I have slotted upper hole strut housings (coil overs using MK1 Golf strut housings), TWO crash bolts per side and Topline's camber+ inner control arm bushings. If I can't dial out the positive camber with those, I'll spring for the SP camber plates.
Old August 22nd 2015, 16:24

Oh, one question...What size tires are you using (particularly on the front), and how low is you car sitting from stock?

Heh, well I guess that's two questions.
Old August 22nd 2015, 16:42

Front.
KW inox coilover set. Home made camber plate. 944 NA spindle (with hole for speedo cable) with custom bearing spacers. 944 S2 hubs without ABS. 944 turbo '87> brake rotors. 2006 Boxter S calipers on home made axial > radial adapters. 993 Cup-2 7Jx17 ET-55 Goodyear Eagle F1 195-45-17 under stock fender.

I don't know how low it is compared to stock. Its as low as possible without scraping the Kamei on speedbumps. I can put one finger between the tires and the fender. I like the look when the edge of the fenders follows the tire with the gap the same front to back. I even raised the back again when I put a heavy subwoofer behind the backseat.
Old August 23rd 2015, 09:39

Yeah, I LOVE your car as well. Everything is really well thought over and executed.
Awesome pics too!
Old April 24th 2017, 15:28

Quote:
I have a few degrees negative camber with the camber plate also max inward. I still have to go to an alignment shop after I get the new rear tyres. When that is done I will post the amount of camber and caster and how it handles. As you can see in the photo of the camber plate in the car I moved it as far back as possible to create some extra caster. It's not much but about one cm. but every little bit helps.
This is a quote from 29 september 2014.

Finaly I took the red 1303 to a wheel alignment garage. I promiced to post the degrees of toe-in, camber and so on. The reason it took so long is because I had an accident on my way to the BugShow Spa 2016. I finaly finished the rebuild this easter.

The printout is in Dutch but I will give a translation to the words that matter.

Belangrijke hoeken = important Angles / Degrees
voorzijde = front side
achter = rear
links = left
rechts = right
eerste = first measurement
laatste = last result
naloop = caster
wielvlucht = camber
toespoor = toe-in

Last edited by Blizzard; April 24th 2017 at 16:06.
Old April 24th 2017, 15:51

Some photos of the damage and repairs.

I had to remove the headlight bucket out of the fender to make sure the tire was not rubbing against sharp dented metal.on the side of the road in the poring rain after I spun into the guardrail after the Kamei spoiler hit a deep area of standing water on the highway. So no aquaplaining but a front spoiler that was to low to the ground.

I started repairs the day after it happend.

Then I let the professionals take over.

Time to pick it up from the painter. Color matches perfect to the rest of the old(er) paint.

And everything bolted back to where it belongs. It actualy looks better than before.

Ready for a new season of fun. Drove it for the first time yesterday, the last time I drove the car was august 6 last year.