GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > General > Project Builds

Old January 1st 2019, 03:31

Pictures of the rebuild

Here are some pics of the car undergoing the rebuild .
The motor is all ready . It has the new custom Python style collector . I have never been a fan of the traditional one sticking out the rear and I need the ground clearance !

Then we have the gearbox which is a single side plated 1973 with a Quaife Diff and custom ratios. I have added a front tranny support . Will be interesting to see how that goes. The aim is to stop any axle -tramp on acceleration . .You may have noticed that there is a small mod needed to run the inner CV joint on mine as I am using a Kombi CV output from the box. This means the CV bolt holes on the CV flange/grease retainer needed reaming out slightly.

Then there is the picture of the clearance between the new 944T spring plates and the pan mounts. Its tight and as some have had to clearance this area I wait to see but there is no bind .

Finally there is a shot of the plumbing for the 944T master cylinder. A little creative angle implementation and all fits . I have subsequently bled the brakes and the pedal is excellent. I really have not noticed much difference from the standard cylinder. May be a little further travel.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 002.jpg (85.2 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg Goliath transmission.jpg (79.3 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg Goliath CV joint mod.jpg (78.9 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg 944 spring plate clearance.jpg (76.5 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg front brake lines.jpg (80.5 KB, 36 views)
Old January 1st 2019, 03:38

Rebuild

Rebuild
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 002.jpg (85.2 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg 944 spring plate clearance.jpg (76.5 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg 944spring plate and cover.jpg (76.7 KB, 25 views)
Old January 1st 2019, 19:04

Hi

Nice work, I welded the head of the front clamping bolt to the spring plate, otherwise its very hard to tighten it. I also bought a 36mm viscous clutch fan spanner on eBay to move the height adjusting eccentric bolt, the spanner is very thin.

The bolts on the rear of the spring plate sit much closer to the chassis on my car. I'm using Beetle inner torsion bar grommets and urethane 944 outers.

Steve
Old February 24th 2019, 07:34

More Work on Goliath

Well there has been some progress with the car. I managed to lift the motor onto the ill be easier to put in with the motor out. .249.jpg
Note the gearbox has Kombi drive shaft outputs and hence runs larger stubs from the tranny. This means the clearance between the CV joint is VERY CLOSE - but you don't need much- apparently a small gap remains a small gap- well I am going to find out. rolled and bring it down the cement ramp to meet its future home. Then I remembered what a PITA this motor is to get in- It requires taking off the A1 sidewinder exhaust and then the valve covers( as its sooo wide!)279.jpg
Then once I put it in it needs everything else added
Yes correct- its basically a long-lock minus valve covers- only way I can get it to clearance the body work. I should have a removable rear that would have been a lot easier !!

Any how the Porsche 86 Carerra gauges still light up. The brakes have been bled . The long steering arm shortened- because of the 2 inch narrowed front end - and this gives me more adjustability.
While I am almost ready - I thought I would re-do and re-pack the 944Turbo drive shafts and boots!!166.jpg
Old July 29th 2020, 07:35

Engine Back in

Finaly the motor is in
IMG_0034.jpg