GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > German Look Tuning

Old July 31st 2006, 06:06

I'm going to have to look that up. We have two cars that are both gold sun roof cars, with all the SunBug extras. Shifter, steering wheel... and they are for sure 1975. I havn't checked for the R&P. But they're Fuel Injected cars. And that didn't start until '75.

Anyone confirm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oasis
US special editions:

Sun Bugs were 1974-only. Sun Bugs were standards with sunroof, Supers with runroof, and converibles in a gold paint scheme. VW imported other 1974 standards, Supers, and convertibles that year as well.

http://www.sebeetles.com lists all of the details of these and other special editions through the years of Beetles worldwide.
I want to mention. I'm not trying to argue. It's all in good fun. So don't take me seriously. I just like Vw Trivia.
'64 Ghia - Project!!-Subaru EJ20T, MS/EDIS, 993 brakes, 914 Tranny...
Old July 31st 2006, 06:11

I just checked, and they might be a "la grande bug". We just assumed they were sunbugs. Sport wheel, sun roof, gold... My bad.

I'm answering my own post.
'64 Ghia - Project!!-Subaru EJ20T, MS/EDIS, 993 brakes, 914 Tranny...
Old July 31st 2006, 08:22

Oh, don't feel badly. I see others do this from time to time. None of Volkswagen's own literature of that era lists the La Grande as possibly being gold. It took some research on a lot of people's part to discover this.

I only roll my eyes when I see a Super of any year and any color listed as a Sun Bug just because it has a sunroof.

It is believed (but not confirmed) that the gold La Grande models of 1975 were partially left over Sun Bugs as they did share some commonalities with each other. They were just completed with 1975 configurations like fuel injection, r&p, interior, etc.

This is not unusual with Volkswagen. There are some mid-year changes with their cars like suspension and steering wheels. Heck, even today, there are 2006 Mk IV GTI's and 2006 Mk V GTI's.

Gold La Grande's are believed to be more scarce than the blue or green versions. It is difficult to know if they possess any bonus value at this time but as Super Beetles continue to lose their undeserved stigma, that may change.

Production numbers of 1975 models are much skimpier than their cousins of previous years. My own personal search proved finding a rustfree model more daunting for that year than any other -- and it seemed like it was more than just fewer available.

Last edited by oasis; July 31st 2006 at 08:33.
Old August 7th 2006, 08:06

I decided that a '75 model Super was the best candidate for such a car some 15 (!) years ago...

It was still a difficult quest as only 32 (!!) '75-modelyear 1303's were delivered in this country...but it turned out nicely :

Old August 8th 2006, 13:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally
It was still a difficult quest as only 32 (!!) '75-modelyear 1303's were delivered in this country...but it turned out nicely
Indeed it did!
Old August 9th 2006, 01:31

Your Super is killer! I really like the white.

I've always had a thing for 71-72 flaties. I love all years, but really want my first custom to be a 71-72.